Author Topic: If you were Gronk, what would you do?  (Read 7168 times)

Re: If you were Gronk, what would you do?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2018, 05:04:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Apparently the WWE contract is for a couple of million a year on a part-time schedule with limited on camera appearances a year and even more limited matches a year. Kinda like the contract Brock Lesnar and Rhonda Rousey signed.

He would probably be expected to do a lot of appearances for charity events and stuff like that. But the actual amount of bumps he would take per year would be very little.
he could probably do that in the off season and still play.
Couldn't do it. His matches would be spaced throughout the year and always would happen on Sundays and Mondays. In between he could do acting gigs and such but no way could he do both WWE and NFL.

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2018, 05:09:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Apparently the WWE contract is for a couple of million a year on a part-time schedule with limited on camera appearances a year and even more limited matches a year. Kinda like the contract Brock Lesnar and Rhonda Rousey signed.

He would probably be expected to do a lot of appearances for charity events and stuff like that. But the actual amount of bumps he would take per year would be very little.
he could probably do that in the off season and still play.
Couldn't do it. His matches would be spaced throughout the year and always would happen on Sundays and Mondays. In between he could do acting gigs and such but no way could he do both WWE and NFL.

He could do the whole thing  where he's only showing up for Wrestlemanias.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2018, 06:36:25 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I hate to say it from a fan's point, but, I think he should retire. It's going to be hard to be Gronk and be 49 years old (not that he thinks about that for half a second). He has been hit or gone airborne and hit the ground enough times.

They are an interesting family of athletes/coaches, I wonder if they're suggesting he retire from football?

From a PR perspective the wrestling thing will keep him on the front page enough to get appearance income and ads. 

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Probably retire but I might consider sitting out till game 10, which is I think the longest you can sit out and still get vesting for the pension. Make almost a half season's worth and post season money. Maybe pick up a ring. Be more likely to be totally healthy for the post season.

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 07:57:43 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
He has a shot to be the NFL's GOAT TE. And win more titles.

Once in a million lifetimes' chance.

But look at what happened to Muhammad Ali (yes, I know it's not 100% sure what caused his illness, but he exhibited Parkinsons's symptoms after many of his longer/tougher fights, implying the head trauma was related https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/study-muhammad-ali-showed-signs-of-parkinsons-years-before-retirement-diagnosis/).

imagine if someone told Ali halfway through his career that if he stopped boxing he could have had a normal life afterwards. Should he have done it? I think I might choose the pain just to increase human achievement. But that is such a hard call to make.

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Probably retire but I might consider sitting out till game 10, which is I think the longest you can sit out and still get vesting for the pension. Make almost a half season's worth and post season money. Maybe pick up a ring. Be more likely to be totally healthy for the post season.
Health aside, I might even prefer it if we Dion Lewis'd him.

Sit him right next to Bill on the bench till about week 9.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 08:16:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
He has a shot to be the NFL's GOAT TE. And win more titles.

Once in a million lifetimes' chance.

But look at what happened to Muhammad Ali (yes, I know it's not 100% sure what caused his illness, but he exhibited Parkinsons's symptoms after many of his longer/tougher fights, implying the head trauma was related https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/news/study-muhammad-ali-showed-signs-of-parkinsons-years-before-retirement-diagnosis/).

imagine if someone told Ali halfway through his career that if he stopped boxing he could have had a normal life afterwards. Should he have done it? I think I might choose the pain just to increase human achievement. But that is such a hard call to make.

Much of Ali's problem in his latter years was he needed the money.  He needed the paydays and the promoters knew that & exploited that.

From all accounts, Gronk isn't financially strapped and in a much better position to walk away if necessary.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 08:30:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Imagine if someone told Ali halfway through his career that if he stopped boxing he could have had a normal life afterwards. Should he have done it? I think I might choose the pain just to increase human achievement. But that is such a hard call to make.

I don’t know if he would have, but yeah, he should have.

I’ve got no desire to see Gronk end up like Junior Seau, or Dave Duerson.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I bet Tom has been managing this situation, whether it is texting him or giving Gronk the space that he wants. I still have hope that Tom, Bill, Gronk, and the Pats all have graceful exits from one another. It would be great if they could win another Super Bowl then all walk out together in a couple of years.

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 08:57:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, I agree with this. We need him for the playoffs, not the regular season. Playing half of a season and still making the same money would have to be somewhat desirable for him.

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 10:20:23 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Yeah, I agree with this. We need him for the playoffs, not the regular season. Playing half of a season and still making the same money would have to be somewhat desirable for him.

Doubt Belichick would openly allow this. They'd have to come up with an injury.

It's a unique scenario where the team is good enough that they don't need to care about any non-qb in the regular season. This combined with Gronk's propensity to get injured makes the partial season really attractive to Gronk and the Patriots.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 10:28:54 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 10:49:37 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Dude has nothing left to prove.

He's by far the best at his position. He's won rings. He's a sure fire HOFer.

Retire and go act around a ring couple of times a year and make some action movies with Dwayne Johnson.

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2018, 01:45:57 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Go to the Redskins.

We'll take him.

Heck, send us your 50 year old (in 7, 8 years?) Brady, too. We'll take him as well.

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2018, 05:47:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
He should retire if he feels he has enough money or other opportunities to make a good living.

If that is wrestling or movies it is up to him. But wrestling isn't a safe from injuries.

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 12:26:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip