Author Topic: How do you juggle your love of the Celtics with your love life?  (Read 9761 times)

Re: How do you juggle your love of the Celtics with your love life?
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2015, 04:19:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Simple, she either understands you have interests that differ from hers and let's you enjoy them in peace, or find a new girl. There's plenty of other women.

I'm all for compromise, but I am not compromising who I am.

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2015, 04:22:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Differening interests from a couple?

What's next? Cats and dogs cohabitating?!
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2015, 04:56:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm very lucky that my wife loves watching basketball with me, because I'd be watching a lot either way.  But there's not much that's going to make your girlfriend like basketball if she doesn't already.

But if you want to try a different tack, instead of breaking down plays and expecting her to care, try making fun of the outfits fans are wearing or pointing out goofy tattoos or whatever.  That often goes over better.

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2015, 05:05:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Let her doodle on her phone and watch away.  If she likes you enough to stay with you during the games, then you may be on to something.  You can always make out during half time.

I have been married 25 years.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 05:08:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Put the game on in a smaller window in the corner of the computer screen while playing Netflix in a larger window next to it. 

I don't have a television.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2015, 05:16:38 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
i think the healthiest thing in a relationship is that each person has things that are their own.  Just because you love the celtics doesnt mean she has to.

I like carpentry, does that mean my girlfriend has to sit there and watch me build a piece of furniture?  Of course not.  So why should that apply to sports?

I dated someone for almost four years who loved books, when she felt like sitting down and reading for a bit, does that mean I needed to drop everything and find a book to read too? 
Greg

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2015, 05:43:21 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Seriously ... No stupid hobby is as important as your woman's love.

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I think you are going to have to start DVRing games.  It's not like football where you know mostly your team is playing every Sunday.  Basketball schedules are so sporadic, and it's hard to revolve your life around it.  If she wants to go to a nice place on a Friday night, but you want to stay home for the game there has to be some compromise.  Let DVR be your friend.

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »

Offline prov1ml34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 68
And keep in mind, I'm a fanatic. I like to rewind the travels I call and watch them in slow motion. I can see how that's not everyone's cup of tea.

What part of the season are you in right now? You have to still be watching games after having to play Cleveland/LeBron 8 times this year.... ;D

Every year about mid-April I get an "UGHHH now I remember why I hate NBA basketball ESPECIALLY playoffs!" I just smile and continue watching.

I'm very fortunate though, my wife has never gotten after me about watching C's games and we have two girls ages 2 & 3. However, she did take a vow, 'in sickness and in health.' Well, I guess to some people (probably her included) the Celtics would be my sickness.

DKC Dallas Mavericks                         
PG: Darren Collison
SG: OJ Mayo
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Dirk Nowitzki/Jackie Carmichael
C: Brandan Wright/Rudy Gobert
Coach - Rick Carlisle

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 08:46:25 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Well when I had season tickets in college (bought them right after KG trade was finalized) I would bring dif girls to the game or sell the tickets....mostly sold the tickets. I went to URI so it was a bit of a drive. And usually by the half we were making out, never got on the kiss cam.
Anyway, I realized that I like watching the games on TV. I would DVR them so I could skip commercials and FT's. You should try it. Its so much better. You do have to seal yourself off bc your not watching in real time, and there were more than a few times I would see the real time score of the game before getting to the DVR. DVR and then put your tv on a dif channel .

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2015, 09:27:24 PM »

Offline celticpride17

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I''ve been married over 30 years do yourself  a favor buy a tivo dvr  i have been using those for 15 years and its the best thing i ever done(other than marrying my wife),you can record up to 6 shows at a time and just fast forward the commercials. plus it has neflix, hulu,vudu,yout tube apps among other goodies ! ;D

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 09:29:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
took 20 years but this past season was the first I got to watch the games without her complaining "not another game!!  how many are there!!??"   DVR the games and start watching when she heads to bed.  can blow through timeouts, commercials and halftime and usually catchup by 4th quarter on east coast games. 

considering the Celtics are the only team I follow, I don't find myself unreasonable in this regard. 

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 09:30:03 PM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
Back when the Cs lost game 7 of the 09-10 finals to the Lakers my girlfriend tried to comfort me with the "it's just a game" line.... She lasted another month before we were done.

Seriously though, you need to find a happy middle ground if you really want her to hang around.

You might just have to DVR the less important games, and take her to dinner every now and then.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 09:32:10 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Be married 54 years

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 09:33:23 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Back when the Cs lost game 7 of the 09-10 finals to the Lakers my girlfriend tried to comfort me with the "it's just a game" line.... She lasted another month before we were done.

Seriously though, you need to find a happy middle ground if you really want her to hang around.

You might just have to DVR the less important games, and take her to dinner every now and then.
I've blocked out us losing and that series. I watched all the games but have almost no recollection because it is just too painful.