Author Topic: An honest letter to everyone about LeBron James  (Read 46462 times)

Re: An honest letter to everyone about LeBron James
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 01:50:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
he's 1-3 in the NBA finals for his career. choker.

This is a statistical anomaly.

It's also not even true, unless the Heat have somehow already lost this year's finals. 

I'm not a fan of LeBron's game but I love basketball and I appreciate what an incredible player he is.  Just the fact that making a realistic negative comparison requires talking about guys like Jordan and Bird says volumes about how good he already is.  His personality seems kinda crappy but I can't honestly say I wouldn't be at least that arrogant if I'd gotten that kind of adulation and attention from such an early age.

Mostly, though, I don't really care if other people "appreciate" LeBron or whatever, and as Celtics fans we've got every excuse for not liking him.  It's just that the constant whining about officials or ludicrous downplaying of his ability (less muscle mass than Vinnie Johnson?  ::)) gets really annoying, especially after an ECF where most calls went against Miami and during a really enjoyable Finals when both Heat wins have been semi-blowouts.

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 01:52:35 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Is this a plea for us to like LeBron? We can appreciate his talent and what he brings to tha court (minus being pampered for 48 minutes) but we don't have to like him. LeBron is a great player but this game is catered to his style of play. This league is soft now and LeBron will continue to capitalize on it. LeBron isn't stupid. Players can't go at his neck like they were allowed to do in tha 80s and 90s. He knows that.

LeBron has grown and improved over tha years but to me he'll never be looked at in tha same light as Jordan or Kobe. LeBron will go down as one of tha greatest but his legacy is a bit tarnished and he'll never get tha same credit as Jordan or Kobe. Not from me at least. I don't blame LeBron for being a free agent but tha top tier talent of his generation in Wade and Bosh will forever be tied to his success.
Maybe James catered his style of play to fit the rules of the game.  You know, what great athletes and great players have done since the beginning of time.  If the rules were different, James would play differently.

Yeah I'll stick with my first thought. He's already playing at a dominant level. I don't see how he can play much differently than he is now unless he turns strictly into a jump shooter.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
I don't see anything special about his game. He has a streaky jump shot, he only get points because hes big black and buff because he barrels his way down the lane and lay it up. When a good defender can stop him from doing that its really easy to break him mentally and then his jump shot is gone and he won't drop 30. That is why I personally don't think he is as great as everyone says. There is nothing special about him other than the fact that he is huge and coordinated. In my opinion any other person his size and is coordinated could do everything LeBron can. The same cannot be said about Jordan, Kobe, Jerry West, Bill Russel, Kareem, Hakeem and all the greats who have played.

On top of that he doesn't have the clutch gene. Aside from his three from the top of the key while he was in cleveland, I've never seen him hit a buzzer beater to win a game. In my opinion, it is inexcusable for any player who is considered a great to not have the clutch gene. It is different for centers because they don't take buzzer beaters. Jordan, Bird, Kobe, Pierce, KG, Jerry West, all had the ability to win games when it depended on them. I cannot say the same about LeBron. That is why he is not a legend.

Continuing on the topic of clutchness, I've never seen him make a clutch defensive play when the game depended on it. He plays good defense for 3 period making all these "amazing" blocks but when it comes to the fourth quarter, he bits on a pump fake from a 5'11 Frenchman and can't recover to block or contest the shot and they lose the game because of it. On the other hand you have players like Larry Legend making not only clutch shots, but clutch defensive plays like the famous play where he stole the inbound pass from Isaiah and passed it to DJ for the lay in to win the game. LeBron whines about not geting the DPY award when he can't be relied on to guard the other team's best player in the fourth quarter. Again he isn't on the same level as the greats.

Fixed.
Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
most people that don't like LeBron don't like him bc of who he is as a person.  tough to argue that and it is his own fault.

what is the point of the OPs "letter"?  yea, lbj is a great player.....but he is still a db.

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 02:25:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Is this a plea for us to like LeBron? We can appreciate his talent and what he brings to tha court (minus being pampered for 48 minutes) but we don't have to like him. LeBron is a great player but this game is catered to his style of play. This league is soft now and LeBron will continue to capitalize on it. LeBron isn't stupid. Players can't go at his neck like they were allowed to do in tha 80s and 90s. He knows that.

LeBron has grown and improved over tha years but to me he'll never be looked at in tha same light as Jordan or Kobe. LeBron will go down as one of tha greatest but his legacy is a bit tarnished and he'll never get tha same credit as Jordan or Kobe. Not from me at least. I don't blame LeBron for being a free agent but tha top tier talent of his generation in Wade and Bosh will forever be tied to his success.
Maybe James catered his style of play to fit the rules of the game.  You know, what great athletes and great players have done since the beginning of time.  If the rules were different, James would play differently.

Yeah I'll stick with my first thought. He's already playing at a dominant level. I don't see how he can play much differently than he is now unless he turns strictly into a jump shooter.
The NBA was calling games the way it is now before James entered the league.  Had they been calling the game like the 80's when James was coming up, his game would have adapted to that style of play, but the current rules are called the "Jordan Rules" for a reason.  They aren't called the "James Rules" after all.  James is one of the greatest physical specimens to ever play the game of basketball.  He would have easily adapted to whatever style of play existed at the time he came into his own.  He came up in the Jordan Rules era, which has continued into his era, so that is how he learned to play the game.  He would have been fine in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and obviously the 00's and 10's.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145
I don't see anything special about his game. He has a streaky jump shot, he only get points because hes big black and buff and can barrel his way down the lane and lay it up.

?!?!?!?!?!

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 03:46:27 PM »

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown

The NBA was calling games the way it is now before James entered the league.  Had they been calling the game like the 80's when James was coming up, his game would have adapted to that style of play, but the current rules are called the "Jordan Rules" for a reason.  They aren't called the "James Rules" after all.  James is one of the greatest physical specimens to ever play the game of basketball.  He would have easily adapted to whatever style of play existed at the time he came into his own.  He came up in the Jordan Rules era, which has continued into his era, so that is how he learned to play the game.  He would have been fine in the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and obviously the 00's and 10's.

Don't get what what you were trying to get at with tha Jordan Rules because tha Jordan Rules are much less effective now than when it was established by tha Pistons. One, Spoelstra doesn't run tha Triangle to neutralize tha "Jordan Rules". Two, Tha NBA doesn't allow tha same physicality it did back then to nail LeBron anytime he goes by a player or come off of a screen tha same way tha Pistons did Jordan.

We'll never know how LeBron would fair in any different time or era than now but despite his growth he has shown he can still be broken down. Look at how tha Bulls played him when tha Heat's winning streak ended. Look back at how Kobe played him at tha All Star Game. When tha opposing player is effective, LeBron becomes frustrated. And when he's frustrated, he's shown to be passive. I'm not betting on his physical appearance in any other time than now to be effective or do him any favors if his mental strength doesn't match or exceed his physical strength.

Loyalty Is Royalty

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
most people that don't like LeBron don't like him bc of who he is as a person.  tough to argue that and it is his own fault.

what is the point of the OPs "letter"?  yea, lbj is a great player.....but he is still a db.

Who he is as a person?? lol How do you know how he is off the court? Have you talked to him or hung out with him? nN. You can't determine what kind of a person a player is by the way he is on the court. I heard he gives back to his school and helps the boys and girls club  too. So I don't how his game (whining about calls and flopping) lets fans see who he is as a person off the court. I don't think that's how it works.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2013, 05:00:10 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Who he is as a person?? lol How do you know how he is off the court? Have you talked to him or hung out with him? nN. You can't determine what kind of a person a player is by the way he is on the court. I heard he gives back to his school and helps the boys and girls club  too. So I don't how his game (whining about calls and flopping) lets fans see who he is as a person off the court. I don't think that's how it works.

TP. Dude gives tons of money to charities, and does a lot of work with schools. Not to mention that The Decision was actually a fundraiser for the boys and girls club.

LBJ is a great player. He's probably not the greatest player I'll ever see, and he's probably not the best person I've ever seen labelled as an athlete. But I harbor no illusions that I have any idea what LeBron (or any other NBA athelete) is actually like as a person, and I think most fans should be more honest with themselves about that.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2013, 05:03:55 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

It's also not even true, unless the Heat have somehow already lost this year's finals. 

I'm not a fan of LeBron's game but I love basketball and I appreciate what an incredible player he is.  Just the fact that making a realistic negative comparison requires talking about guys like Jordan and Bird says volumes about how good he already is.  His personality seems kinda crappy but I can't honestly say I wouldn't be at least that arrogant if I'd gotten that kind of adulation and attention from such an early age.

Mostly, though, I don't really care if other people "appreciate" LeBron or whatever, and as Celtics fans we've got every excuse for not liking him.  It's just that the constant whining about officials or ludicrous downplaying of his ability (less muscle mass than Vinnie Johnson?  ::)) gets really annoying, especially after an ECF where most calls went against Miami and during a really enjoyable Finals when both Heat wins have been semi-blowouts.
i was refferring to lebron in 2007, lebron in 2011, and lebron in 2012.

« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2013, 05:08:45 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

i was refferring to lebron in 2007, lebron in 2011, and lebron in 2012.

Might've wanted to type 1/3, or something more similar.

1-3 almost universally suggests four total series.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2013, 06:01:35 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
LBJ is a great player. He's probably not the greatest player I'll ever see, and he's probably not the best person I've ever seen labelled as an athlete. But I harbor no illusions that I have any idea what LeBron (or any other NBA athelete) is actually like as a person, and I think most fans should be more honest with themselves about that.

I think you can tell a lot from somebody but their comments and actions.   That doesn't mean you know him.  But you get a sense of their character.

But if you think, these guys don't do some of their actions for image, then your naive.   

I think James has been spoiled as a whole.   I think he still has maturity issues in light of this but I think he has slowly matured some over time.   It is not always easy to grow up in the spotlight playing a game.

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2013, 07:10:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I think you can tell a lot from somebody but their comments and actions.   That doesn't mean you know him.  But you get a sense of their character.

But if you think, these guys don't do some of their actions for image, then your naive.   

I think James has been spoiled as a whole.   I think he still has maturity issues in light of this but I think he has slowly matured some over time.   It is not always easy to grow up in the spotlight playing a game.
Lebron James has never been in trouble off the court at any level or any time in his life and he had an incredibly difficult upbringing (no father, very poor, moved around a lot, lived with people other than family for a time, etc.).  Nothing on TMZ of any kind.  Never seen out the night before a game.  Always shows up early and leaves late.  His work ethic is incredible.  Even the decision his heart was in the right place as he raised millions for the Boys and Girls Club (it clearly wasn't the correct thing to do, but I don't think he did it for the wrong reasons).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2013, 08:02:14 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

of course i dont know him personally.  what i do know is the way he speaks, carries himself, the image he portrays, etc.  those are all 100% him and not the media creating an image.  he presents himself is egotistical and narcissistic. some people might like other people who are narcissistic and egotistical, but i cant stand people like that. 

« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Best in the world.  I like the guy.  He has matured a whole lot since his Cleveland days.  When he won that championship last year, I almost teared up because he deserved it and he singlehandedly won it for the Heat.  I hate the rest of his teammates but I've been a Lebron fan even when he was childish and prima dona back in the day. 

Everything said, he is a Legend in every sense and I for one I'm glad I'm witnessing his greatness unfold before my eyes.

Micheal Jordan was a great amazing basketball player but he was and is a ****ty human being (his current lawsuit against Dominicks and his HOF induction speech among other things).  So is Kobe Bryant.  ****ty human beings.  Lebron is a complete opposite.  Kind and very likable dude.  Did anybody see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqd3jUPq3Lw

I don't care what anybody says.  The guy is awesome and deserve all the championship he gets from here on.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell