Author Topic: "Seismic strike?" Don't we already have 3 stars?  (Read 2476 times)

Re: "Seismic strike?" Don't we already have 3 stars?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2023, 11:16:14 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Just ignore everything you hear from the Celts or friendly media.  "Fireworks", "No spending restrictions" "Green light to spend", "seismic strike", etc.

It's all just marketing nonsense.

I mean, trading Smart for Porzingis wasn't seismic?

No idea, but that trade wasn't what Himmelsbach was referring to, so it's not all that relevant.

Should we justify Wyc's fireworks comment because Danny had once, years before, traded for KG?

You're acting like the Celtics never make major moves, when they in fact made a huge one two weeks ago.  Stevens has shown he's not at all hesitant to make trades -- puff piece or not, I think it's pretty likely Stevens will make another major trade in the next two seasons given what he's done in his first 24 months on the job, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the 6 2nd rounders we've picked up in the last two weeks were involved.

No, I'm arguing the words are meaningless, because they are.  They're puffery.

I’m with Roy, this routine of brad having open checkbook has been proven to be patently false and i think a lot of us are tired of hearing the puffery at this point.

Right, but that wasn’t the puffery this time.  It was that Brad would make a major trade down the road, which is something that he’s certainly proven able and willing to do despite some financial constraints.

Well letting all the trade exceptions expire contradicts freedom to spend

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2023, 11:22:13 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Just ignore everything you hear from the Celts or friendly media.  "Fireworks", "No spending restrictions" "Green light to spend", "seismic strike", etc.

No idea, but that trade wasn't what Himmelsbach was referring to, so it's not all that relevant.

Should we justify Wyc's fireworks comment because Danny had once, years before, traded for KG?

You're acting like the Celtics never make major moves, when they in fact made a huge one two weeks ago.  Stevens has shown he's not at all hesitant to make trades -- puff piece or not, I think it's pretty likely Stevens will make another major trade in the next two seasons given what he's done in his first 24 months on the job, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the 6 2nd rounders we've picked up in the last two weeks were involved.

I’m with Roy, this routine of brad having open checkbook has been proven to be patently false and i think a lot of us are tired of hearing the puffery at this point.

Right, but that wasn’t the puffery this time.  It was that Brad would make a major trade down the road, which is something that he’s certainly proven able and willing to do despite some financial constraints.

Right.  He doesn’t have a blank check.  I said as much above.  He can still make “seismic moves” without that freedom, as do most teams.  27 out of 30 teams will be below the second apron this year, if I’ve counted correctly.  The Celtics will likely be the closest without going over.  Do I think they should have blown through it? Absolutely, I’ve been arguing that since the KP trade as made.  But they’ll still have a top 4-5 payroll, as they did last year.  They aren’t the Pelicans or Wizards.

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2023, 11:43:04 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Right.  He doesn’t have a blank check.  I said as much above.  He can still make “seismic moves” without that freedom, as do most teams.  27 out of 30 teams will be below the second apron this year, if I’ve counted correctly.  The Celtics will likely be the closest without going over.  Do I think they should have blown through it? Absolutely, I’ve been arguing that since the KP trade as made.  But they’ll still have a top 4-5 payroll, as they did last year.  They aren’t the Pelicans or Wizards.
Well said and tp. I would say we are only one of 4-5 teams they have a legit chance to compete for title next year so we should be one of those teams blowing through second apron for next year.

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2023, 02:30:57 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

Today I learned a new word and I like it

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2023, 03:53:03 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
I know the "seismic strike" line doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it just struck me as funny because two weeks ago I think most fans figured we were close and needed one major move (and whatever subsequent smaller moves) to get over the hump or at least be on a similar level as Denver. Since then, the Suns have upped the ante by going to 3 1/2 stars and the Heat are threatening to go to 3 as well. Now we have people even saying we should try to get Lillard without giving up Jaylen. Now it takes four stars? It's like that famous Onion op-ed by a fake Gillette executive: "F___ everything, we're doing five blades."

I actually prefer the idea of three stars + a strong and deep supporting cast rather than putting everything in to 4 star players and then one goes does and you've lost 20% of your production.   

Unfortunately in our case we are a little short of the type of depth I would like to see.  A second unit of Brogdon, Horford, Pritchard, Hauser, Brisset and Kornet isn't horrible, but the last 4 guys on that list probably won't be consistently productive...so I think we could really use one or two more guys that we can depend on.  Especially with the health concerns of Brogdon, Williams and Porzingis.  If Brad can bring in at least one more reliable bench guy then I think I'd be pretty comfortable with that rotation. 

Much as I hate to say this, I really do like the proposed Miami core of Lillard, Butler and Bam.  Having two tough, physical defensive guys like Butler and Bam who play hard every night and then throwing in a truly elite offensive player in Lillard, really gives them a dangerous and nicely balanced core.  The only question i have with Miami is if they do get Lillard is...how much depth do that have?  They already lost Max Strus and Oladipo.  They would almost certainly have to give up Herro in any deal for Lillard, possibly also Lowry.  That leaves them with what...Duncan Robinson and Kevin love as the only guys on their bench who played over 10 MPG last year?

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2023, 07:53:17 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I know the "seismic strike" line doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it just struck me as funny because two weeks ago I think most fans figured we were close and needed one major move (and whatever subsequent smaller moves) to get over the hump or at least be on a similar level as Denver. Since then, the Suns have upped the ante by going to 3 1/2 stars and the Heat are threatening to go to 3 as well. Now we have people even saying we should try to get Lillard without giving up Jaylen. Now it takes four stars? It's like that famous Onion op-ed by a fake Gillette executive: "F___ everything, we're doing five blades."

Yeah I was amped for getting porzingas but then we did nothing else so I am less amped. By a lot

The draft night trade-down was fun.  I think Brissett was a sneaky good signing, but yeah, when you see players going everywhere that you want, and you get Danalo Banton instead, and are still staring at Kornet and Champagnie on the roster, it’s not very exhilarating.
Agree on both points, but it's July 7 and even though the musical chairs game is settling down there's plenty of time for more to happen.