Author Topic: I think we got better.  (Read 2924 times)

I think we got better.
« on: July 06, 2023, 09:01:35 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I think right now before any more moves I think this team is better than last year. Another year older for our young players and Porziņģis is a major talent upgrade. Jaylen is entering his peak and Tatum is still a few years away from his peak. I only hope Joe will play more guys during the regular season. Going with a tighter rotation in the playoffs is ok but we need to play more guys in the regular season.

Re: I think we got better.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 09:08:07 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think right now before any more moves I think this team is better than last year. Another year older for our young players and Porziņģis is a major talent upgrade. Jaylen is entering his peak and Tatum is still a few years away from his peak. I only hope Joe will play more guys during the regular season. Going with a tighter rotation in the playoffs is ok but we need to play more guys in the regular season.

About 40 percent of the roster can’t shoot and we know Joe wants this team to shoot a high number of 3s. That is a concern.

I will say that this team is longer and should be able to guard better on switches.

The top of the roster is better (1-7) if everyone can stay healthy.

8-10 still some questions and your point about Joe playing guys is valid.

I am in a holding pattern on if they are better. They might be. But it’s too early to tell. Adding a vet wing or PF that can score some would help.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 09:09:15 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
White 36 Pritchard 12
Brown 24. BROGDON 24
Tatum 24 Brown 12. Hauser 12
Horford 20  Tatum 12 Brissett 12. Rob 4
Porzingis 34. Rob 14

So Tatum, Brown, White play 36 mins
Porzingis 34
Brogdon 24
Horford 20
Rob 18
Pritchard, Hauser, Brissett all play 12.

That's a 10 man Rotation.  Could certainly make it only 9 and split up Brissetts minutes between Rob, Al, and Hauser.  Then mYbe only play Brissett on days when Al sits.

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 09:13:57 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
We got significantly better.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 09:20:10 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
They are definitely top heavy. The projected starting 5 is real real good (White/JB/JT/Horford/KP). And first guard/big off the bench good as well (Brogdon/Williams).

The issue is the rest. It could be fine assuming good health but you can’t assume good health with players like KP/Williams/Brogdon and the age of Horford.

Pritchard/Hauser seemed primed for bigger roles but they still need some guys there for depth.

Overall, I’d say they are more balanced and have more offensive versatility this year as is.

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 09:25:13 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think the starting lineup is offensively stronger.

I think the team took a major hit in depth and flexibility.   

I think it really depends on what vet mins they can still sign. 

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 09:27:22 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

About 40 percent of the roster can’t shoot and we know Joe wants this team to shoot a high number of 3s. That is a concern.

I will say that this team is longer and should be able to guard better on switches.

The top of the roster is better (1-7) if everyone can stay healthy.

8-10 still some questions and your point about Joe playing guys is valid.

I am in a holding pattern on if they are better. They might be. But it’s too early to tell. Adding a vet wing or PF that can score some would help.

Shooters: Tatum, Brown, Brogdon, Porziņģis, Pritchard, Hauser, Horford, White...

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 09:56:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
If you look at this in terms of who actually contributed last season as compared to the current state of things, this is the net:

Out:    Smart and Grant
In:      Porzingis and Brissett

Gallinari and Muscala did not really contribute to the team last season.  They may have contributed this season but you can't really count either as part of the team last season.

Just looking at that, I think we are better.  I am not real sure what to expect from Brissett but in 2021-22 he played about 23 min/gm over 67 games, averaged 9 pts and 5 rebs with 35% from 3.  He was down on all fronts last season and I don't know why but he is not that far off from Grant in any case.  And an inch taller.  I don't think his natural position is PF like Grant, we still probably need a solid bench PF to replace Grant, but hopefully, Brissett is a useful rotation player, like Grant.

And the thing is, we still have from 2-4 roster spots we can fill in or upgrade.  We should still be able to add something useful to the roster.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2023, 10:03:36 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think we'll be worse in the regular season, assuming Joe doesn't run our top-8 into the ground.  Injuries will happen and we'll be relying on guys like Kornet and Brissett.

In the playoffs, we should be fine *if* we're healthy.  Unfortunately, overplaying guys in the regular season because the coach knows he's on thin ice and doesn't want to finish the regular season at .500 is one factor in post-season health.  I worry that the bench is devoid of scoring outside of Brogdon, so Pritchard and Hauser need to step up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2023, 10:54:39 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
We really need Brissett, Hauser, PP, Banton to hit like the undrafted type players do for Miami.

IF those 4 dudes could do that...Boston would be in great shape.

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2023, 10:55:32 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
We really need Brissett, Hauser, PP, Banton to hit like the undrafted type players do for Miami.

IF those 4 dudes could do that...Boston would be in great shape.
Very true, if not, we not gotta win the East
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2023, 11:04:57 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Can we get J Rich for a couple of second round picks. Miami is going to need all the picks they can get to get Lillard. Does Caleb Martin fit into our exception?

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2023, 11:10:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I think we'll be worse in the regular season, assuming Joe doesn't run our top-8 into the ground.  Injuries will happen and we'll be relying on guys like Kornet and Brissett.

In the playoffs, we should be fine *if* we're healthy.  Unfortunately, overplaying guys in the regular season because the coach knows he's on thin ice and doesn't want to finish the regular season at .500 is one factor in post-season health.  I worry that the bench is devoid of scoring outside of Brogdon, so Pritchard and Hauser need to step up.

If you look at the top 11 players last season in terms of regular season minutes, the only changes are Smart and Grant out, Porzingis and Brissett (who I am assuming with be in the top 11) are in.  The other 9 are exactly the same.  After the top 11 in terms of minutes, it went Griffin, Muscala, Vonleh, Jackson, Davison, Kabengele, and Champagnie.  Of this group, Griffin did play 569 minutes that will need to be replaced but we may resign him.

I am not seeing the regular season issue here.  I see the top 11 as slightly better due to Porzingis and the rest immaterial.  The top 7 or 8 will include Porzingis instead of Smart and the 8-11 will also be the same except Brissett instead of Grant.  Griffin did give us some useful regular season minutes but it is not like this is going to make or break the regular season.  We will get someone for those minutes in any case.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2023, 11:10:46 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am coming around on Brissett. If he can make three's he could be a decent rotation player. He looks like he will rebound and will defend. Plays hard.

I would put him ahead of Hauser in the pecking order because Brissett can at least get his own shot and is a better defender.

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2023, 11:16:57 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I think the starting lineup is offensively stronger.

I think the team took a major hit in depth and flexibility.   

I think it really depends on what vet mins they can still sign.

This.

Major offensive upgrade to the starting lineup and team as a whole, as well as providing more overall rim protection and post defense.

However, our depth quality took a major hit, and we certainly lost some flexibility in lineups.

We need a fourth big, preferably a swing type that can play the 3/4 position and be more plug in play with our other bigs and wings to provide some flexibility.