Author Topic: Does Brad suck at free agency?  (Read 11345 times)

Re: Does Brad suck at free agency?
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2023, 06:13:05 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the FA still has talent to play, where is the path to play on the Celics?

Where are the minutes to earn that next contract?

Which players are likely to miss time?

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2023, 06:19:20 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
We have no money or playing time to offer.  We have end-of-bench roster spots so we find end-of-bench guys to fill them.

I concede that it’s frustrating that the vet ring-chasers never seem interested in Boston.  Just Griffin, really.  Maybe players just don’t see us as a major title favorite like that… or maybe our city’s reputation among players really is that bad.  No idea.

Pretty much this.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2023, 06:49:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If the FA still has talent to play, where is the path to play on the Celics?

Where are the minutes to earn that next contract?

Which players are likely to miss time?

Right now we have seven established vets under contract who have proven themselves as reliable NBA players:

KP, Tatum, Brown, Timelord, Horford, White, Brogdon

After that, there's a bunch of guys who weren't trusted enough to play much in the playoffs:

Hauser, Pritchard, Kornet, Champagnie

And the news guys, who aren't clear rotation plays:

Brissett, Banton

Is the argument that there wasn't a single free agent who would have challenged players outside the top-7 for playing team?  As for "which players are likely to miss time", pretty much everybody in our rotation other than Tatum and White.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2023, 07:44:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
I don't understand why Hauser is apparently not valued by this community.
He's an elite shooter with length. Something we've wanted for years.
And he's on an absolute bargain of a contract.

Hauser is better than Struss and look what he's going to make.
And Hauser is just an overall good basketball player, his shooting aside.

He isn't valued by Joe. Nor trusted.

Last year with Joe, Hauser played in 80 games and averaged 16mpg. The season before, Sam played in 26 games and averaged 6mpg. Going to have to call fake news on that one.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2023, 07:54:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Is Banton a good defender?

I wish we'd signed Kris Dunn last year if that's what we're going for.
Banton reminds me a bit of Langford on defence. Rangy, capable, aggressive with his length. I think he’s a good defender
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2023, 07:55:22 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I'm not saying I am in love with him, but Malik Beasley just signed for the minimum with Milwaukee after we already signed Banton. It would have been nice to have a scorer like Beasley be able to come off the bench for us if needed. I can't see a scenario where we actually play Banton non-garbaggio minutes.

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2023, 08:06:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not saying I am in love with him, but Malik Beasley just signed for the minimum with Milwaukee after we already signed Banton. It would have been nice to have a scorer like Beasley be able to come off the bench for us if needed. I can't see a scenario where we actually play Banton non-garbaggio minutes.

Right.  Who's more likely to win a game for his team, Beasley or Banton?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2023, 08:21:12 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Last year with Joe, Hauser played in 80 games and averaged 16mpg. The season before, Sam played in 26 games and averaged 6mpg. Going to have to call fake news on that one.

Where was he in the playoffs when the Celtics desperately needed shooting? Stapled to the bench

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2023, 10:18:21 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I understand the point about a lack of clear PT, but considering we're one of a handful of contending teams it's definitely a little surprising they haven't signed any minimum guys that other teams were also targeting. Banton and Brissett are young and look like developmental prospects for now, especially considering the importance of shooting in our lineups. We need some insurance for some of the older/oft-injured players on the roster, but that's just not an appealing pitch to somebody who wants a clear role.

The way the season ended and the fact that Joe seemed overwhelmed probably doesn't help recruiting either. If you look at Houston, Ime obviously still gets a lot of respect from free agents. Joe is at best neutral and at worse a negative right now from a player perspective.

« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2023, 10:22:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Brad's big moves have been trades leaving basically no money to sign anyone because despite what Wyc says, the team clearly does not have an unlimited budget.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2023, 11:02:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I don't understand the point of Banton, Brisset and Jordan Walsh on the same team. Surely one of those guys needs to be a shooter. They are duplicative. All forwards by trade. I don't buy Banton as a guard. None who can shoot. Brisset at least has a little bit of a jump-shot.

« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2023, 12:11:35 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I understand the point about a lack of clear PT, but considering we're one of a handful of contending teams it's definitely a little surprising they haven't signed any minimum guys that other teams were also targeting. Banton and Brissett are young and look like developmental prospects for now, especially considering the importance of shooting in our lineups. We need some insurance for some of the older/oft-injured players on the roster, but that's just not an appealing pitch to somebody who wants a clear role.

The way the season ended and the fact that Joe seemed overwhelmed probably doesn't help recruiting either. If you look at Houston, Ime obviously still gets a lot of respect from free agents. Joe is at best neutral and at worse a negative right now from a player perspective.

They might be ready to contribute in 2-3 years … a.k.a. about the time this team is finally ready to win a title.  :D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2023, 12:25:16 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Exactly. Which is not to say Joe was right. If you're going to roll with a guy like Hauser you need to stick with him and let him work through his shooting slumps. But if Joe didn't believe in him last season that's likely not going to change

« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2023, 07:44:07 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Brad's big moves have been trades leaving basically no money to sign anyone because despite what Wyc says, the team clearly does not have an unlimited budget.

Doesn't have anything to do with Money. Milwaukee and these other teams signing actual NBA players on vet minimums to round out the bench.

Brad signing G-leaguers. Now, we are talking end of the bench. so there is a chance these guys are just waiving towels. BUT still...

« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2023, 08:25:13 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Brad seems to think signing legit nba players for the bench will somehow disrupt things within the team.

Unfortunately if grant leaves the bench is mighty thin with guys who you can actually play.

Kornet, Banton, Brisset, Hauser and Walsh won’t even be looked at when the playoffs get here. Five of your rosters spots taken up by guys that will be waiving towels. And one more by PP which maybe can play but might not get a look.

That leaves Rob, brogdan and absolutely no wings left to fill the void. It’s pretty important to resign Grant or get an actual nba player back for him.

I just don’t see anything banton and Brissett add to this team. They can’t shoot. Maybe some length. But to think they are viable minutes eaters for Tatum and brown is ridiculous.

I pray Brad isn’t done with the roster. Shipping grant out for a second round pick and a TPE they will never use will but improve things.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 08:34:12 AM by celticinorlando »