Author Topic: Does Brad suck at free agency?  (Read 11338 times)

Re: Does Brad suck at free agency?
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2023, 03:06:42 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The pupu platter carousel was extensive

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2023_transactions.html

Also go back and look at year before Ainge ariived, 2002 :-X

July 9, 2022
Traded Malik Fitts, Juwan Morgan, Aaron Nesmith, Nik Stauskas, Daniel Theis and a 2023 1st round draft pick (Julian Strawther was later selected) to the Indiana Pacers for Malcolm Brogdon. conditional 2023 1st-rd pick was BOS own, Indiana also receives a trade exception

This one caught my eye.  The pu pu platter scrubs all were part of the trade that got us Brogdon.  That same day, we signed Hauser, Kornet, and Davison.  Not a bad day for such a bad GM.

I'm not sure you understand my point of view. I think Brad has been a really good GM so far. He has added real players to the team that fit a vision and can play, mostly through trade which is pretty much what he has to work with given the team's state. The pupu platter trade for Brogdon was masterful. His draft picks have been good swings of the bat, especially from where he has selected, we will yet see if any of those swings connect.

As to the actual discussion at hand, he has done ok at free agency. Signed some useful players, signed some duds, his best signing got injured and never suited up. As to Roy's main grievance, the signing of g-league level talent over proven vets. Brad has taken lots of shots on the Broderick Tomases of the world (I actually like the search for diamonds in the ruff) but he has probably devoted too much roster space to this endeavor. So far he has a good hit with this strategy in Hauser but think he needs to hit another this year to be considered a successful strategy for a contender.

In summary, Brad's free agency strategy is different for a contending team and probably riskier. Mostly the jury is out. So far it hasn't seen a ton of success but he doesn't suck.

That is all fair.  Stevens does seem to favor the prospects over the old vets when filling the the last few roster spots.  It is a fair debate.  What I disagree with is when people extrapolate this and say things like this approach means the owners don't care about winning.  That apparently is not what you are suggesting so that is not directed at you.

The one "old vet" that was signed and did work out pretty well is Griffin.  There were cries for Cousins, Howard, Whiteside, Favors, probably some others.  All of which went on to do a big fat nothing.  And we don't know if they even wanted to play in Boston.

This year, so far, we have signed Brissett and Danton plus carried over Champagnie and Kornet.  Not sure who this season's old vets are that we could be signing.  I see Brissett as a pretty solid FA signing.  He is young enough to have some ceiling but also established enough to not be just a prospect.  Kornet kind if is what he is.  He is a useful enough vet big to be the 13th to 15th guy.  Is there a better vet out there?  Maybe, I don't know.

This year's "prospects" are Banton and Champagnie, and to some extent Walsh.  It is unlikely that Champagnie survives the whole season.  Kornet may not either.  Banton is guaranteed for 2 seasons so has a deal similar to Hauser.  We'll see if he works out as well as Hauser.  But even if he doesn't, how bad is a 50% hit rate for this kind of signing?

How are you arriving at a 50% hit rate?  To me, guys like Vonleh and Jackson go in that category, as well, and we literally had to pay teams to take them off our hands.

Hauser and Banton are signed to multi-year, guaranteed contracts.  That is an elevated category as opposed to 1 year vet min contracts or non-guaranteed contracts that true scrubs get offered.  Brissett is in that elevated category also.  To me, this means they are outside the scrub category, a little more is expected if you are giving a player multiple guaranteed years.  Vonleh and Jackson were 100% take a flyer on a scrub deals.  As is Champagnie.

So my hit rate is based on giving a multiyear contract to Hauser, an undrafted unknown, and now he is doing the same with Banton.  Brissett could be included in this category also as he is getting essentially multiple guaranteed years at vet min cost, but he to me actually seems like a much more established player, much more of an NBA track record than Hauser had last season or Banton has this season.  So I guess if both Brissett and Banton bomb out, you could say that Stevens is 1 for 3 in this category.

I don't think Champagnie is going to make it, he is destined to go back on the scrap heap like Jackson.  But it is a very different expectation when all you are offered is a non-guaranteed contract.  All you are doing really is keeping the slot warm until something better comes along.  Less opportunity cost with that as compared to a 1-year vet min contract that is guaranteed (what you generally have to offer to someone like Griffin) or the contract that Hauser, Brissett, and Banton got.

« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2023, 04:03:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Does anyone remember or know if Tristan Thompson was a problem in the locker room when he was here? For some reason I have a faint memory he was but I may be remembering incorrectly. If not he would fill a need for us and is someone clearly ok with spot minutes.

« Reply #152 on: July 10, 2023, 04:14:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Does anyone remember or know if Tristan Thompson was a problem in the locker room when he was here? For some reason I have a faint memory he was but I may be remembering incorrectly. If not he would fill a need for us and is someone clearly ok with spot minutes.

Nothing specific, but definite whispers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #153 on: July 10, 2023, 04:47:57 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

My recollection was not that he was a problem in the locker room but that his on-court play and work ethic/dedication were lacking. Thompson's a personable, fun guy so I don't think anybody would dislike him personally. He just didn't perform well enough and his off-court entertainment endeavors and social life gave the impression he wasn't necessarily spending late nights in the gym.

« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2023, 04:48:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

Did TT tell Blake Griffin not to sign here? That things weren't good here. So Blake signed with Brooklyn instead. Am I remembering that right? I'm not sure.

« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2023, 04:56:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Did TT tell Blake Griffin not to sign here? That things weren't good here. So Blake signed with Brooklyn instead. Am I remembering that right? I'm not sure.

I remember that as well.

« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2023, 04:56:31 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Since Brad took over Danny's job, he has had the albatrosses of Tatum and Brown's future contracts in mind. Those supermax contracts will represent something like 70% of the future cap? I guess I would probably look to make trades over signing expensive FA players as well. Brad has made a couple significant trades to this point.

Is the criticism that he hasn't signed good players on minimum deals since Jun 2, 2021? Sure, he hasn't done that. I guess to some that might means he sucks at FA. I don't feel that way.

I think its more that teams like the bucks/sixers/suns etc. are signing NBA veteran players on the minimum to round out their benches.

and Brad is signing guys like Oshae Brisett/Banton for their minimum spots.

« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2023, 04:59:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Since Brad took over Danny's job, he has had the albatrosses of Tatum and Brown's future contracts in mind. Those supermax contracts will represent something like 70% of the future cap? I guess I would probably look to make trades over signing expensive FA players as well. Brad has made a couple significant trades to this point.

Is the criticism that he hasn't signed good players on minimum deals since Jun 2, 2021? Sure, he hasn't done that. I guess to some that might means he sucks at FA. I don't feel that way.

I think its more that teams like the bucks/sixers/suns etc. are signing NBA veteran players on the minimum to round out their benches.

and Brad is signing guys like Oshae Brisett/Banton for their minimum spots.

Yep.  And there have been better players than Kornet and Champagnie signed, as well.

Same thing with Vonleh and Jackson last year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2023, 05:06:32 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

I remember that as well.

To be fair, it WAS a horrible year and it wouldn't have made any sense for Griffin to come here over Brooklyn. The Celts were a .500 team with too many bad young players and the coach had just been fired.