Author Topic: Does Brad suck at free agency?  (Read 11346 times)

Re: Does Brad suck at free agency?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2023, 01:23:26 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
PBS values hungry hard workers & happy towel waivers over talent in his 3rd stringers.

He wants a happy locker room more than a deep bench.

Except I'd argue we had the deepest team in the league last year, and we may have the deepest team this year.

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2023, 01:25:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
However on the flip side adding brogdon, white and porzingas in trades that appear to be wins (porzginas tbd still of course).

If the four parts of being a GM are trades, drafting, free agency and coaching hires, I'd rate him:

Trades:  A- (Great trades overall)
Drafting:  Incomplete
Free Agency:  D+
Coaching Hires:  C (Ime was good; Mazzulla should have been fired; not filling the bench was unacceptable last year; the coaching hires this year seem great)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2023, 01:25:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
PBS values hungry hard workers & happy towel waivers over talent in his 3rd stringers.

Except I'd argue we had the deepest team in the league last year, and we may have the deepest team this year.

I am only talking about 3rd stringers here. Deep bench.

I agree we had tremendous depth 6 through 10.

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2023, 01:26:28 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Gotchya

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2023, 01:26:54 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
To put it simply, Brad has a different team building approach; he is an aggressive trader rather than a free agency guy.  I agree with that approach.

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2023, 01:27:34 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Money talks. C’s don’t have a lot to spend and the players also have to want to come here. Not sure how that translates into Brad sucking at free agency. He certainly doesn’t suck at making trades.  :)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2023, 01:27:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I think that's right.  I'd rather have somebody who can come in and hit a shot if the top eight guys are struggling.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2023, 01:28:29 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Brad is trying to take the route the Heat take...signing g leaguers, free agents that nobody wants and turning them into rotation players.

Boston just has not been able to do that with any of these scraps they have signed. None have panned out. Hauser still is up and down and not trusted...esp on defense. Kornet is a waste of time as is Champaigne. Now you add two more of these same types of players. Makes little sense.

Seems Brad wants to make sure his role guys don't push nor compete whatsoever. Just make podcasts and do dumb celebrations.

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2023, 01:29:49 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

I completely disagree. Kornet, Muscala, Griffin, Pritchard were more than serviceable 3rd stringers, especially for the essentially minimum contracts the 4 with the team from the beginning got.

This is assuming a top 9 of Smart/Brogdon/White/JB/JT/Rob/Horford/Grant/Hauser (who was supposed to be deep bench and signed a now steal of a 3 year minimum contract).

Our deep bench was tremendous, just weak on wings/swings, which meant the talent had less time to play.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2023, 01:36:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I completely disagree. Kornet, Muscala, Griffin, Pritchard were more than serviceable 3rd stringers, especially for the essentially minimum contracts the 4 with the team from the beginning got.

This is assuming a top 9 of Smart/Brogdon/White/JB/JT/Rob/Horford/Grant/Hauser (who was supposed to be deep bench and signed a now steal of a 3 year minimum contract).

Our deep bench was tremendous, just weak on wings/swings, which meant the talent had less time to play.

I have Pritchard, Brogdon, Hauser, G Will and Timelord as our bench five.

Then Muscala who is a rotation caliber big and an excellent 3rd stringer. Or you could switch places with Prichard and Muscala and have Pritchard as the 11th man if you prefer. Again, a very good 3rd stringer. High level 3rd string PG. Then B Griffin who is okay. Kornet who is a liability. Dead roster spot in Gallo who got hurt. And another dead roster spot. Or Champaigne or whatever he was called.

So 1 high level 3rd stringer in Muscala or Pritchard. 1 okay mid-level 3rd stringer in B Griffin. Then nothing worthwhile beyond that.

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2023, 01:37:20 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

I think that's right.  I'd rather have somebody who can come in and hit a shot if the top eight guys are struggling.
However the problem is they couldn't stop teams for large stretches of the 2nd half of last season - including playoffs and just traded one of their better defensive players. So he's trying to address that on the cheap but it remains to be seen whether Joe tries to use whatever added tools he's been given.

A team that can't get stops against good teams has no chance of winning a title.  Of course you could argue that coaching may have played a role in last season's defensive struggles.

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2023, 01:40:15 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Then Muscala who is a rotation caliber big and an excellent 3rd stringer. Or you could switch places with Prichard and Muscala and have Pritchard as the 11th man if you prefer. Again, a very good 3rd stringer. High level 3rd string PG. Then B Griffin who is okay. Kornet who is a liability. Dead roster spot in Gallo who got hurt. And another dead roster spot. Or Champaigne or whatever he was called.

So 1 high level 3rd stringer in Muscala or Pritchard. 1 okay mid-level 3rd stringer in B Griffin. Then nothing worthwhile beyond that.

Muscala and Galo were traded.

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2023, 01:41:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Muscala and Galo were traded.

Last year's squad

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2023, 01:42:41 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

I think there's a decent possibility that more - or even all 5 of those guys - could be gone by opening night.

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2023, 01:42:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
However on the flip side adding brogdon, white and porzingas in trades that appear to be wins (porzginas tbd still of course).

If the four parts of being a GM are trades, drafting, free agency and coaching hires, I'd rate him:

Trades:  A- (Great trades overall)
Drafting:  Incomplete
Free Agency:  D+
Coaching Hires:  C (Ime was good; Mazzulla should have been fired; not filling the bench was unacceptable last year; the coaching hires this year seem great)

I would agree with this but maybe give him a c- for free agents because it takes two to tango and we haven’t really had minutes for these guys

Edit I will add I wanted to bag on him for not getting Howard, whiteside or cousins as a backup big last year but it is hard to be critical when no team we willing to offer any of those guys a ten day. Whiteside must have a really horrible reputation.