Author Topic: Does Brad suck at free agency?  (Read 11344 times)

Does Brad suck at free agency?
« on: July 03, 2023, 12:59:30 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Since the 2022 trade deadline, here are all of our signings that made the roster:

Signed Luke Kornet
Signed Malik Fitts
Signed Nik Stauskas
Signed Juwan Morgan

Signed Danilo Gallinari
Signed Noah Vonleh
Signed Justin Jackson
Signed Blake Griffin

Signed Oshae Brissett
Signed Dalano Banton

I liked the Gallinari signing, although my first choice was local guy Bruce Brown.  That obviously didn't work out.  But pretty much everyone else is a miss (with the new signings TBD, obviously).  Blake Griffin was a good locker room guy, but he wasn't productive.  None of the others are NBA-level players.

This season, the Suns, Lakers and Heat have seemingly successfully bolstered their team with quality minimum free agents.  Meanwhile, we're signing fringe G-League guys like Banton.  Is it Brad's approach?  Or does nobody want to play for this franchise and/or Joe Mazzulla?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Does Brad suck at free agency?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2023, 01:02:10 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Just more of the same this year. Marginal NBA talent that are pretty much practice bodies.

I do not understand bringing in Banton and Brissett. Just players that offer nothing.

The bench now consists of Banton, Kornet, Brissett, Hauser. Four guys that really don't add anything.

Brogdan, Rob/Al and maybe PP are all they have that you can considered actual NBA guys.

No idea what Walsh brings and no idea if Grant returns.

Three guys in Davison, Brisett and Banton probably ticketed for Maine.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 01:08:22 PM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2023, 01:05:00 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Since the 2022 trade deadline, here are all of our signings that made the roster:

Signed Luke Kornet
Signed Malik Fitts
Signed Nik Stauskas
Signed Juwan Morgan

Signed Danilo Gallinari
Signed Noah Vonleh
Signed Justin Jackson
Signed Blake Griffin

Signed Oshae Brissett
Signed Dalano Banton

I liked the Gallinari signing, although my first choice was local guy Bruce Brown.  That obviously didn't work out.  But pretty much everyone else is a miss (with the new signings TBD, obviously).  Blake Griffin was a good locker room guy, but he wasn't productive.  None of the others are NBA-level players.

This season, the Suns, Lakers and Heat have seemingly successfully bolstered their team with quality minimum free agents.  Meanwhile, we're signing fringe G-League guys like Banton.  Is it Brad's approach?  Or does nobody want to play for this franchise and/or Joe Mazzulla?

I like Brisset about as much as any other minimum that's been signed, outside of Eric Gordon. And Galo was a good fit who just got injured. Kornet has been good as a depth big. Even Blake was a good morale guy it seemed.

When you basically only have the minimum to use AND you don't have playing time to offer you're going to have a hard time getting impact guys. C's have 7 starter level players, two guys in Pritchard and Hauser who project to get rotation minutes and one RFA rotation guy in Grant still unsigned but might return.

There's not a clear path to playing time here unlike somewhere like PHO where literally spots 5-10 were wide open coming into the off season. MIA meanwhile lost two critical guys off their playoff rotation and so did have some openings to which they added Josh Richardson, and that's about it so far. LAL mostly brought back their gui

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2023, 01:06:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Signed Luke Kornet
Signed Malik Fitts
Signed Nik Stauskas
Signed Juwan Morgan

Signed Danilo Gallinari
Signed Noah Vonleh
Signed Justin Jackson
Signed Blake Griffin

Signed Oshae Brissett
Signed Dalano Banton

Can't blame Joe for the prior two summers. 

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 01:09:03 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1679
We have no money or playing time to offer.  We have end-of-bench roster spots so we find end-of-bench guys to fill them.

I concede that it’s frustrating that the vet ring-chasers never seem interested in Boston.  Just Griffin, really.  Maybe players just don’t see us as a major title favorite like that… or maybe our city’s reputation among players really is that bad.  No idea.

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 01:09:56 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I don't know - Gallinari seemed like a good signing. He was traded because Brad's trying to make the team better and he fit financially vs him sucking and the team wanting to move on.

The rest of those guys are end of roster types. Kornet was decent till Joe stopped using him. I'd give Brad an 'incomplete' grade right now.

But the keys with Brissett and Banton - some NBA skills and they're cheap. Can Joe help them get to the next level?
Based on a one year sampling, very doubtful.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2023, 01:10:14 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
I mean there has to be some decent vets who can sign for the vet-minimum right? Instead we signing g-leaguers.

So many championship teams have had some guy contribute who was a vet min guy for a game or two.

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2023, 01:11:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Signed Luke Kornet
Signed Malik Fitts
Signed Nik Stauskas
Signed Juwan Morgan

Signed Danilo Gallinari
Signed Noah Vonleh
Signed Justin Jackson
Signed Blake Griffin

Signed Oshae Brissett
Signed Dalano Banton

I guess you could say he does since he really hasn’t signed one under the radar guy that played rotation minutes in summers. However on the flip side adding brogdon, white and porzingas in trades that appear to be wins (porzginas tbd still of course).

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2023, 01:13:02 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I mean there has to be some decent vets who can sign for the vet-minimum right? Instead we signing g-leaguers.

So many championship teams have had some guy contribute who was a vet min guy for a game or two.

^^This. Banton and Brisett don't offer anything but length. Cs still need an offensive minded wing (no Hauser is not the guy).

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 01:15:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

For what it’s worth it seems like a decent amount of teams have been doing this (not signing vets for deep bench roles). I have noticed over the last few years guys like Aldridge, cousins, Howard, rondo, Carmelo, Kemba, IT, Jamal Crawford and others were not able to land a minimum contract when it seemed like most if not all were interested in playing.

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 01:15:38 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Signed Luke Kornet
Signed Malik Fitts
Signed Nik Stauskas
Signed Juwan Morgan

Signed Danilo Gallinari
Signed Noah Vonleh
Signed Justin Jackson
Signed Blake Griffin

Signed Oshae Brissett
Signed Dalano Banton

What has been unseen is that the contracts Stevens has signed have been used together to get players like Horford, White, Brogdon, and Porzingis.

We have one of the deepest teams in the league right now. We are at a disadvantage for proven players to come here. But he is taking swings and higher upside possibilities. I like Brissett and Banton.

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 01:18:20 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I don't think Banton makes the team out of camp and is sent to Maine with walsh and Davison.

Brissett probably makes the team because of his length.

But neither of these signings look to have much of any impact on the rotation.

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 01:18:42 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Phoenix, LA, Miami and Boston.  One of these things is not like the other.

If a good veteran is willing to take a discount to ring-chase, there are plenty of warm-weather teams to accommodate.

Gallinari was a good signing.  It’s not Brad’s fault he got hurt

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 01:22:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
PBS values hungry hard workers & happy towel waivers over talent in his 3rd stringers.

He wants a happy locker room more than a deep bench.

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2023, 01:22:49 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Signed Luke Kornet
Signed Malik Fitts
Signed Nik Stauskas
Signed Juwan Morgan

Signed Danilo Gallinari
Signed Noah Vonleh
Signed Justin Jackson
Signed Blake Griffin

Signed Oshae Brissett
Signed Dalano Banton

What has been unseen is that the contracts Stevens has signed have been used together to get players like Horford, White, Brogdon, and Porzingis.

We have one of the deepest teams in the league right now. We are at a disadvantage for proven players to come here. But he is taking swings and higher upside possibilities. I like Brissett and Banton.
Many who follow the NBA - sports writers especially geek out about 'upsides'. The back ends of most NBA rosters (save for maybe the ones with ring chasers) are filled with guys who have one or two NBA skills and the hope is that they develop others so they can become rotation players on good contracts.

Then we get  a couple of those guys, watch them over the course of a season and all their flaws become obvious. These guys represent educated guesses by Brad and their scouts, but they are crapshoots. And unfortunately I've seen no evidence to date that Joe can develop anyone.

Maybe that changes with a new staff?  We can only hope.  Either way we are likely going to have a very top heavy roster next season. If Joe overuses his key guys again, it could easily all come crashing down.