Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238642 times)

Re: More Robert Williams please....
« Reply #1200 on: October 04, 2018, 07:18:03 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
If you watch around the 1:50 mark of the last game, he blocked a shot with his elbow.

I think he is very raw, he has the natural ability and athletic ability to be special, but he is raw and has been coasting working his tail off but is getting minutes based on that ability.
There, fixed it for you.
Yeah, I have not seen him as someone who has been coasting at all. Not one bit.

He is one of the rare rookie big men I can remember who willingly set multiple picks on an offensive set, all the while ensuring that the picks actually hit. Not only this, but his picks seem to stick defenders in a manner similar to KG's (his legal ones, of course ;D). He also hustled really hard on the offensive glass a couple of times against Cleveland, and in my eye did better than Zizic.
Great point.  Being a rookie, I was just waiting for the refs to call an illegal (moving) screen on him. 

I think many will agree that the refs tend to do that kind of stuff to rookies until they get used them.  They like to establish themselves as being in charge and this is part of their indoctrination of rookies.  (likely deserves its own thread)

« Reply #1201 on: October 04, 2018, 07:23:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If you watch around the 1:50 mark of the last game, he blocked a shot with his elbow.

I think he is very raw, he has the natural ability and athletic ability to be special, but he is raw and has been coasting working his tail off but is getting minutes based on that ability.
There, fixed it for you.

He is one of the rare rookie big men I can remember who willingly set multiple picks on an offensive set, all the while ensuring that the picks actually hit. Not only this, but his picks seem to stick defenders in a manner similar to KG's (his legal ones, of course ;D). He also hustled really hard on the offensive glass a couple of times against Cleveland, and in my eye did better than Zizic.
Great point.  Being a rookie, I was just waiting for the refs to call an illegal (moving) screen on him. 

I think many will agree that the refs tend to do that kind of stuff to rookies until they get used them.  They like to establish themselves as being in charge and this is part of their indoctrination of rookies.  (likely deserves its own thread)
Yeah, it's like their own weird form of hazing whereby they are overly harsh on them, or don't give them any calls. Annoying that the rules change from player to player.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1202 on: October 04, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

There, fixed it for you.
He has probably been coasting throughout his life like celtics4ever said.  Probably just started working hard recently.

« Reply #1203 on: October 04, 2018, 08:05:11 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I guess the question is, who's minutes would he cut into?

Theis was pretty brutal last night IMO. It's really hard to have 2 players recovering from injuries between him and Hayward. Feels like we always have someone out there who is out of rhythym and playing tentatively.

Hayward seemed to be getting his legs under him in the 3rd quarter but I'm not sure if this team with it's championship aspirations will have time to wait for Theis to round back into form. Especially with Big Block Robert Williams looking like a real matchup problem for opposing front courts.

Yup, it'd be Theis- the only question is if Baynes is also coming off the bench, how would it work?
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #1204 on: October 04, 2018, 08:09:13 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

There, fixed it for you.

TP, I think he's definitely been working hard, and I agree about his picks. 

Watching him the other night at TD, I thought that if our big man depth chart was Horford-Baynes-Williams, they'd all seemingly be great screen setters.

« Reply #1205 on: October 04, 2018, 08:11:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

What I meant by that, is a lot of his defensive ability comes from sheer athletic ability.   He is not even remotely a polished defender, and has a lot of work in that area.    That being said, his athletic ability is immense and he is still pretty good.   If we can develop his game, to could be a real good player.

His workwork is a little shoddy, but he can make up for it, with his footspeed and athletic ability.     He flails at shots, but can jump out of the gym.

I love his game and I am excited for him to come into the game each time.   I think the sky is limit for him.   

Don't confuse hustle with knowledge of the game.   You can have great effort and not know what you're doing.  You can be high energy and still be raw, which I present he is folks

A scouting report said:
Sometimes relies too much on his athleticism ... Still a raw prospect who, despite making a big leap in development his freshman year, didn’t progress nearly as much as a sophomore ..

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/robert-williams

« Reply #1206 on: October 04, 2018, 08:28:00 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen

What I meant by that, is a lot of his defensive ability comes from sheer athletic ability.   He is not even remotely a polished defender, and has a lot of work in that area.    That being said, his athletic ability is immense and he is still pretty good.   If we can develop his game, to could be a real good player.

His workwork is a little shoddy, but he can make up for it, with his footspeed and athletic ability.     He flails at shots, but can jump out of the gym.

I love his game and I am excited for him to come into the game each time.   I think the sky is limit for him.   

Don't confuse hustle with knowledge of the game.   You can have great effort and not know what you're doing.  You can be high energy and still be raw, which I present he is folks

A scouting report said:
Sometimes relies too much on his athleticism ... Still a raw prospect who, despite making a big leap in development his freshman year, didn’t progress nearly as much as a sophomore ..

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/robert-williams

You guys are both right.

His amazing physical profile and abilities help mask little things like being out of position off ball and making his rim protection better than it probably should be, etc.

That said, he knows the plays, on offense he moves well and sets good screens, if anything it's his teammates that can't throw lobs.  On defense he's playing well, due to physical attributes but also a good feel for the game and above average awareness for a rookie big man.

Add it all up, and you've got a strong performance so far from a guy who looks better than Theis.

« Reply #1207 on: October 04, 2018, 03:43:51 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
They got a video in practice at the end of a lob over on reddit

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #1208 on: October 04, 2018, 03:47:41 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Nice short video at practice slaming home another poor lob almost hit his head on rim over at celtics reddit

« Reply #1209 on: October 04, 2018, 03:51:35 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
The Brad Wannamaker-Robert Williams pick and roll is gonna be the NBA Hipsters' wet dream.

You read it here first.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #1210 on: October 12, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »

Offline Billybeantown

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Robert Williams needs to start. The Celtics have a glaring need to get buckets down low. Also a glaring need to have a rim protector.

« Reply #1211 on: October 12, 2018, 09:04:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Robert Williams needs to start. The Celtics have a glaring need to get buckets down low. Also a glaring need to have a rim protector.

Do you throw batteries like the other Philly Fans?   Too bad you're team lack the fight you do and was beaten by the Celtics without Irving and Hayward....Face it, OUR BENCH BEAT YOUR STARTERS.

« Reply #1212 on: October 12, 2018, 09:35:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Lol. How is it a glaring need when it hasn't impacted our ability to win so far?

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1213 on: October 12, 2018, 09:45:31 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59

Do you throw batteries like the other Philly Fans?   Too bad you're team lack the fight you do and was beaten by the Celtics without Irving and Hayward....Face it, OUR BENCH BEAT YOUR STARTERS.

Well, the logic here is that since the Celtics didn't start Williams last year and lost, starting him this year should result in a win  ::)

« Reply #1214 on: October 15, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

Probably won't happen. But there was enough demonstrated in the pre-season games that we'll likely get to see meaningful minutes for him this season. Boy is he quick! Quick side to side and quick off the floor, and quick with his shoulders so that he gets blocks that he shouldn't be able to.

Looks like the thing to track is his minutes versus Yabusele's, since Yabu is the least secure big on the roster.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021