Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238677 times)

Re: Robert Williams(Merged Threads)
« Reply #1140 on: October 01, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The thing with Williams that will help him is his wing span. Similarly to tatums first time PLaying nba defense, his ridiculous wing span could cover for not switching on defenss correctly

« Reply #1141 on: October 01, 2018, 03:53:13 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The thing with Williams that will help him is his wing span. Similarly to tatums first time PLaying nba defense, his ridiculous wing span could cover for not switching on defenss correctly

absolutely.  or getting beat one on one.  if you get beat along the baseline and your arms are 5 inches longer recovering to get the block from behind is possible for you when it isn't for other defenders.

« Reply #1142 on: October 01, 2018, 04:54:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

absolutely.  or getting beat one on one.  if you get beat along the baseline and your arms are 5 inches longer recovering to get the block from behind is possible for you when it isn't for other defenders.

Wingspan combined with athleticism. So far it looks like he'll be able to stay in front of a lot of people if he's willing to stick to it.

The thing I like most about him is how much he talks about liking defense. Someone with his physical makeup, if that desire is truly there, should always have a place in the NBA.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #1143 on: October 01, 2018, 04:57:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

See Olynyk, Kelly...

« Reply #1144 on: October 01, 2018, 05:32:17 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Williams is very raw.

But I suspect Brad will find him meaningful minutes this season, early on.

As I stated previously, I expect him to be used about as much as we saw Semi used last season. In fact, I would be unsurprised if he gets more minutes than Semi this season. He can do things that Semi cannot. What remains to be seen is if he can hold his ground against strong post up guys the way that Semi could. Maybe not.

What really excites me about Williams is the prospect of grooming him for one thing in particular: 

Defending Kevin Durant 1 on 1.   Until now, we simply have not had a guy both long enough and athletic enough to do that. Jaylen has had good moments defending Durant (remember him blocking his shot in Garden last season?? Sweet),but in the course of a 7 game series, you need someone who can be delegated to guard him. 

The Rockets did this with Cappella with some limited success last season in the play-offs. But my eye test tells me that Williams is superior to Capella in terms of lateral quickness. He could really frustrate him.

Williams will need to go through a lot of mistakes to get there.  He still goes too easily for head fakes, for example. But that will come with experience.  The Celtics need to give him as much real game experience now at the senior circuit level now.

Forget the Red Claws.  I hope he spends very little time down there. It will be far more valuable to this team to give him a lot of experience defending long guys like Greek Freak, Durant, so that come play off time, we have our secret formula for beating the Warriors: NEUTRALIZE DURANT.  I watched them play pre-season the other night, and they are still amazing.
Surprised someone came to the same thought as me

He can spend this whole year only to focus on how to play against the Warriors(it won't be only KD since they will switch) not only on D but on both ends of floor, he will be absolutely capable of guarding Curry-Klay-KD-Green ,Cousins will be the problem since he isn't ready to face strong postup bigs, but then you can always put Baynes on those.

For me the bigman rotation according to matchups should be(in that order)
Against small ball:AL-Rob-Theis as the only 5
Against bigC who postup:Baynes as 5, AL-Theis as 4
so they should all get plenty mins

« Reply #1145 on: October 01, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Great Abby Chin tweet:

[Chin] After a couple missteps to start his #Celtics career, Robert Williams told me he got here really early today. Said he knew the #Pats were playing and didn’t want to deal with in traffic. When I told him Foxboro isn’t close to here, he said, “ I didn’t want to take any chances!

Kid seems genuine....rooting hard for him

« Reply #1146 on: October 01, 2018, 06:52:48 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Williams is very raw.

But I suspect Brad will find him meaningful minutes this season, early on.

As I stated previously, I expect him to be used about as much as we saw Semi used last season. In fact, I would be unsurprised if he gets more minutes than Semi this season. He can do things that Semi cannot. What remains to be seen is if he can hold his ground against strong post up guys the way that Semi could. Maybe not.

What really excites me about Williams is the prospect of grooming him for one thing in particular: 

Defending Kevin Durant 1 on 1.   Until now, we simply have not had a guy both long enough and athletic enough to do that. Jaylen has had good moments defending Durant (remember him blocking his shot in Garden last season?? Sweet),but in the course of a 7 game series, you need someone who can be delegated to guard him. 

The Rockets did this with Cappella with some limited success last season in the play-offs. But my eye test tells me that Williams is superior to Capella in terms of lateral quickness. He could really frustrate him.

Williams will need to go through a lot of mistakes to get there.  He still goes too easily for head fakes, for example. But that will come with experience.  The Celtics need to give him as much real game experience now at the senior circuit level now.

Forget the Red Claws.  I hope he spends very little time down there. It will be far more valuable to this team to give him a lot of experience defending long guys like Greek Freak, Durant, so that come play off time, we have our secret formula for beating the Warriors: NEUTRALIZE DURANT.  I watched them play pre-season the other night, and they are still amazing.
Surprised someone came to the same thought as me

He can spend this whole year only to focus on how to play against the Warriors(it won't be only KD since they will switch) not only on D but on both ends of floor, he will be absolutely capable of guarding Curry-Klay-KD-Green ,Cousins will be the problem since he isn't ready to face strong postup bigs, but then you can always put Baynes on those.

For me the bigman rotation according to matchups should be(in that order)
Against small ball:AL-Rob-Theis as the only 5
Against bigC who postup:Baynes as 5, AL-Theis as 4
so they should all get plenty mins

So then I take it you think Baynes should not be in the rotation for 66% of the games?

« Reply #1147 on: October 01, 2018, 06:57:42 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Great Abby Chin tweet:

[Chin] After a couple missteps to start his #Celtics career, Robert Williams told me he got here really early today. Said he knew the #Pats were playing and didn’t want to deal with in traffic. When I told him Foxboro isn’t close to here, he said, “ I didn’t want to take any chances!

Kid seems genuine....rooting hard for him
Haha, good story
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1148 on: October 01, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Wingspan combined with athleticism. So far it looks like he'll be able to stay in front of a lot of people if he's willing to stick to it.

The thing I like most about him is how much he talks about liking defense. Someone with his physical makeup, if that desire is truly there, should always have a place in the NBA.
I believe this is what makes Marcus Smart so valuable to this team: He fosters a culture of defense. 
Did you see Marcus' reaction last night when Dozier made Smart-like defensive play diving for the loose ball?   With Al, Baynes, Theis and Marcus -- Rob will have mentors on this team that could make him a defensive beast. 

« Reply #1149 on: October 01, 2018, 07:25:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I believe this is what makes Marcus Smart so valuable to this team: He fosters a culture of defense. 
Did you see Marcus' reaction last night when Dozier made Smart-like defensive play diving for the loose ball?   With Al, Baynes, Theis and Marcus -- Rob will have mentors on this team that could make him a defensive beast.
Yeah, you could also see this by his mere presence when he stepped on the court. All of a sudden our defence amped up.

I've actually liked Dozier a bit. His pass to Williams for a dunk (I think it was these two) was nice

« Reply #1150 on: October 01, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Not a good sign that Williams looked like he couldn't handle the NBA pre-season pace.

Seemed tired, slow on the break and awkward with his movements.

« Reply #1151 on: October 01, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Not a good sign that Williams looked like he couldn't handle the NBA pre-season pace.

First time I've seen this take

« Reply #1152 on: October 01, 2018, 08:07:05 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Lots of guys name Williams in the NBA......are you talking about Robert Williams??

Looked pretty agile and straight line fast and willing to run to me.

Did you see that block of a 3, then running on the break, getting fed the ball and then that nifty touch drop pass to his teammate (Yabs?, not sure) for the finish?

EDIT: You can check that out (at the 1:39 mark)and more here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8CKTl1RaLU
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:15:24 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #1153 on: October 01, 2018, 08:16:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah. I didn't see this in Williams at all. By the end of the game I thought he and his team mates were in a good flow. I am sure he isn't good enough to break the rotation, but he definitely did not look tired, slow or awkward.

« Reply #1154 on: October 01, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Yeah. I didn't see this in Williams at all. By the end of the game I thought he and his team mates were in a good flow. I am sure he isn't good enough to break the rotation, but he definitely did not look tired, slow or awkward.
Yeah, if anything I thought over the first couple of games he's looked a little on edge, putting a bit too much zing in his passes (although his passing instincts are really promising), and running all over the place. For a #27 pick I really like what I've seen. Already better than Mickey and Fab Melo, imo