Author Topic: The Old Garden  (Read 3987 times)

The Old Garden
« on: August 28, 2019, 06:56:24 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
I find myself reminiscing quite often about my youth and going to the old Boston Garden.  I just have such fond memories of walking up those long ramps, the curtains with an usher next to them to get into the arena, banging on sheet metal to make more noise and the closeness you felt when at the games there - even when in the balcony.  I loved going to that old place regardless of how smelly and crappy it was - I miss it.  The new place has some history now, but, in my opinion, it will never compare. 

Anyone here have any cool, fun, funny stories about the old building? 
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

Re: The Old Garden
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 08:58:41 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yup. Went to a Celts game with my father vs Indiana, in January of 1991. I was 10 yrs old. Can’t remember if Larry played but pretty sure McHale, Parish and DJ played. Celts won. The stairs on the lower level were so slippery. Then, we grabbed a bite at the Burger King that used to be across from the Garden. Will never forget.

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
I went just one time as a part of a Cub Scout pack. It’s all pretty hazy, but I remember being excited about seeing Havlicek and Cowens. We sat pretty high up and the noise and the heat made me tired, plus the long drive from Springfield to get there, so I don’t remember the outcome. I know the Celtics won, but I don’t remember if it was a close game or what the final score was because I was really drowsy at the end. The cold January air woke me right back up again though. I remember that the most. The shock of leaving the Garden and that blast of cold air and shivering all the way to the bus.

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 09:08:02 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Besides Celtics games, I saw a couple of concerts there: Aerosmith with Rick Derringer opening (1976), Emerson Lake and Palmer (about 1978), Allman Bros (about 1979), probably a few others.  Back in those days, everyone lit up as soon as the lights went down and the band took the stage.  The weed smoke was so thick it formed a cloud in the middle of the arena.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 09:14:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Also, though I never went to one, many have told me the crowd at Bruins games at the old Garden was always intense.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 11:48:47 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I had season tix from ‘79-90. Balcony, Section 77, Row C (third row from the edge) seats 1 and 2. It was in the corner just above the Cs bench.

In retrospect, it is amazing how close to the action it felt (and you actually were).

Best series I experienced there was vs ‘6ers in ‘81.(and this may be the best series I’ve ever seen, period. I think the last 4 games were decided by a total of less than 10 points.

The place literally rocked as you could feel the vibrations underneath you as the balcony unsettlingly but exhilaratingly shook like an earthquake rumbling. DANG!

I never felt more connected to a crowd as I did to the 13909. Great memories, even the physical sensations.

Worst experience in those seats was Magic’s baby hook at the basket just below us. Dagger to the heart of Celtic Nation...it hurt bad.

EDIT: TP to thE OP for the thread! You brought me back some good memories

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 11:55:07 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Oh man
Wish I'd seen this before I was about to fall asleep.

Tons of amazing memories.

One of my favorites was sitting right next to the bench and the glass for a Hingham vs Matignon  state tourney hockey game when I was in 7th grade.
Yup

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 12:46:15 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
This is great. Keep em coming! Sticky!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I had season tix from ‘79-90. Balcony, Section 77, Row C (third row from the edge) seats 1 and 2. It was in the corner just above the Cs bench.

In retrospect, it is amazing how close to the action it felt (and you actually were).

Best series I experienced there was vs ‘6ers in ‘81.(and this may be the best series I’ve ever seen, period. I think the last 4 games were decided by a total of less than 10 points.

The place literally rocked as you could feel the vibrations underneath you as the balcony unsettlingly but exhilaratingly shook like an earthquake rumbling. DANG!

I never felt more connected to a crowd as I did to the 13909. Great memories, even the physical sensations.

Worst experience in those seats was Magic’s baby hook at the basket just below us. Dagger to the heart of Celtic Nation...it hurt bad.

13909!  TP!

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 08:51:23 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
One of my favorites was the 5th game in 84? vs the Lakers...it had to be +100 degrees inside

Also remember live boxing shows and closed circuit broadcast of the Larry Holmes-Gerry Cooney fight

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

13909!  TP!

Back atcha.....GREAT number that meant a lot back then!!!!

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 08:53:00 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Never went to the old garden since I had just arrived from Brazil but do remember walking near it and seeing the place half opened as they were demolishing it. I could see the seats and everything. Very interesting. My wife works near North Station and I take nice scenic walks in the area.
Baby Jesus!