Author Topic: What do you think is the biggest problem the C's have?  (Read 5790 times)

What do you think is the biggest problem the C's have?
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:57:14 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I know it's only been four games and the Celtics have yet to play their best basketball (not even close) But i can already see alot of holes in this teams.

1. The Mental Edge. This is the biggest problem IMO. In the early years of the Garnett era teams simply did not want to play us. Now a days teams like the Bucks and Wizards feel completely comfortable coming on to our home court and getting a W. Ecspecially the Heat. We saw it in the playoffs, they're too comfortable playing us hence LeBron laughing in Garnetts face.

2. The physical edge. This sort of goes hand in hand with the mental edge. I hate keep comparing this team to the the 08 team since they're a completely different team now but one thing that helped us win a title in 2008 was physicality. Teams knew that if they drove to the hoop they were getting clobbered by Perkins. I really think teams need physical guys like Perkins, Posey and PJ Brown to be elite and be feared. The Celtics simply don't have that. Teams are far to comfortable driving to the basket. Which brings me to my next point...

3. No defensive anchor when KG is out. I think last night we were something like a minus 15 when KG was out of the game.no one to protect the rim. I'd love for Darko to be that guy but i just don't see that happening. Doc must see that he's pretty awful.

4. Turnovers. Rondo has to take responsibility for this. He's said he wants to be the best Celtics point guard ever but if he ever wants to get there he's gunna have to stop making so many gamble passes. Sometimes he goes for the home run when all we need is a single. He'll get there.

5. The Bench. On paper we have the best bench we've had but on paper means nothing. A big problem is that the guys coming off the bench are mostly known for scoring. If they don't have the ball in their hands they arent really affecting the game in any other way. They need to know that if someone else has the hot hand and they're not getting the touches on offense they need to impact the game in other ways. When Jeff Green isn't scoring he isn't really affecting the game in any other ways. It's almost better to have guys like Tony Allen and Pietrus to keep balls alive, give hustle and bring defensive intensity, not even needing to touch the ball on offense to make their presence felt. 

Re: What do you think is the biggest problem the C's have?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 02:02:14 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Only two:

1) No defensive identity or commitment.

2) Confusion and no clear roles on offense for the bench.

Both will come with time.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The Miami Heat.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:05:53 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No quality size outside of KG.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:10:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
90% is team chemistry for offense and Defense and puttin gin the work to get where they need to be.. The new guys are all trying to find their way .  Part is the players getting to know each other , TRUST each other , and Doc knowing ALL his players and which ones fit together based on who they are matched against.

I think KG is still getting into PRIME playing shape. Sharping of shooting skills IN GAME situations for JET , KG , PP , LEE , RONDO and Green.

Using Defense as a main weapon is new to many players and it will take a while for them to BUY into it and play their hearts out on defense LIKE KG.

I thing Bradleys return , will really help stimulate and set an example to the new fellows how to work at defense.

Bradley and KG's defensive energy is contagious . 

Eventually the C's will get their defense together and take pride in making stops.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Several problems at the moment. I'm most concerned about the offense because I believe the defense will come around more easily.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Nothing more to add. Just wanted to get 500th post.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 02:54:49 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Amen.  The team's biggest problems stem from the weaknesses of our big men.

We're on pace to set another NBA record for poorest ORB% (hopefully Sully improves in this area - a non-factor so far on the offensive glass).

Our pick and roll defense is pretty bad whenever KG rests (and sometimes even when he's playing).

We have no one to protect the rim when KG rests (at least no one good enough to break the rotation just yet).

Our undersized bigs (Bass, Sully, Green) aren't providing enough match-up advantages offensively to make up for their weaknesses as defenders and rebounders.  Besides, with two scoring combo guards off the bench, there aren't really enough shots for them to make a big offensive impact.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 04:47:07 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I don't think we have a problem. I think we're playing at the same pace we played last season. We just want to get into playoffs healthy.

Now if I have to pick something I'm going with Rondo's minutes. Cut them down. I don't care if our offense looks like the D-league. If Rondo goes down we're cooked.

Two words

STAY HEALTHY

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 05:14:52 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Please check out every roster on the NBA team.  How many have more quality than Bass, Sullinger and Wilcox supporting up their best big? 
Indiana has David West, Ian Mahimi and Hansborough. 
Chicago has Boozer, Gibson and Mohammed. 
San Antonio has Diaw, Splitter, Blair and Bonner. 
Miami has Rashard Lewis, Udonis Haslem and Joel Anthony.  Lakers have Pau Gasol, Jordan Hill and Jamison.  Atlanta
Horford, Pachulia and Ivan Johnson? 
Knicks are rolling out Stoudemire, Thomas, Camby and Sheed.
Philly has Spencer Hawes, Lavoy Allen and Kwame Brown.
The nets have Kris Humphries, Andray Blatche and a couple of struggling Euros. 
Orlando is bringing Vucevic, Ayon and Nicholson.
Honestly how many 7fts do you see in the bunch?  MOST of these guys are Sullinger's (and Bass') height with less bulk.

How many of these guys have more athleticism than Jared Sullinger?  Bass and Wilcox might be the most athletic of the bunch.  How many of these guys rebound and block shots better than Bass and Sullinger?  Not close to as many as people make out.  Our Bigs are perfectly fine  above average in fact.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 05:20:39 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Doc. But he`ll get comfortable with this crew very soon, we will be just fine.

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Doc and Rondo.

Doc is completely misusing his current roster, with poor rotations and bad match-ups, which usually needs to poor defensive efforts.

Rondo, only because he needs to control our offense better. I like a lot of what he's doing, but I'm still very disatisfied by how he's running our team, which starts with the play-calling. Part of it can be a problem with Doc's schemes, but I think much has been said about how Rondo has taken control of this team, so I putting this on Rondo.

He needs to dominate, needs to force defenders to guard him, draw big defenders towards him. He needs to direct players like Green to the post, and so on.

These two things get taken care off, the rest should fall into place.

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 05:35:55 PM »

Offline Yogi

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 255
Doc and Rondo.

Doc is completely misusing his current roster, with poor rotations and bad match-ups, which usually needs to poor defensive efforts.

Rondo, only because he needs to control our offense better. I like a lot of what he's doing, but I'm still very disatisfied by how he's running our team, which starts with the play-calling. Part of it can be a problem with Doc's schemes, but I think much has been said about how Rondo has taken control of this team, so I putting this on Rondo.

He needs to dominate, needs to force defenders to guard him, draw big defenders towards him. He needs to direct players like Green to the post, and so on.

These two things get taken care off, the rest should fall into place.

1) Rondo is shooting near 60% from the field and 40% from 3.  He's on one of the greatest double digit assist streak in history and two of his best shooters aren't making shots.  He continues to be the top rebounding point guard.  Other than his poor defensive night against Brandon Jennings, his defense has been top notch. 
2) Doc has poor rotations?  I don't know what your reasons are for thinking that.  He has the best 10 players playing the proper amount of time they should be playing.  The players aren't playing as well as they should but they are getting better every game.  We've shown we can start games and we can finish games.  We still need to put together a full 48 min but that will happen over time.
CelticsBlog DKC Pelicans
J. Lin/I. Canaan/N. Wolters
E. Gordon/A. Shved
N. Batum/A. Roberson
A. Davis/K. Olynyk/M. Scott
D. Cousins/A. Baynes/V. Faverani
Rights: A. Abrines, R. Neto, L. Jean-Charles  Coach: M. Williams

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Definitely Mental Edge as the original poster says. The only guy showing any enthusiasm of any kind is Terry. Getting the crowd into it and pumping up the other guys on the team. Every body else oesnt even look like they want to be on the floor. No one looks like they are having any fun or even trying to put anything into the games.

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Definitely Mental Edge as the original poster says. The only guy showing any enthusiasm of any kind is Terry. Getting the crowd into it and pumping up the other guys on the team. Every body else oesnt even look like they want to be on the floor. No one looks like they are having any fun or even trying to put anything into the games.

Uh, not been watching KG much? He's been as energetic as ever!