Author Topic: What kind of return can trading kyrie get us?  (Read 7453 times)

Re: What kind of return can trading kyrie get us?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2018, 10:04:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Listening to Zolak and Bertrand today....felt like every other caller was suggesting to "Keep Terry, trade Kyrie"

scary terry shirts must be a hit lol

Who came up with that nickname btw?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:25:50 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2018, 10:39:57 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
It's not often you see a fan base strategize a way to replicate the James Harden trade with the hope being OKC in the scenario.....

Except in this case we keep Durant, Oladipo, Harden, and Ibaka, and send Westbrook out instead for a good 2-way wing and some picks.

I love Kyrie. I think we’ll be great next year with him and Hayward added in. But it’s not hard to see why people think the current team is awfully good and don’t want to mess with it. I still would keep KI, but if he could bring back a big of comparable talent that would do a hell of a lot for our team and provide insurance if next year the hospital bug takes a bite out of Al. We may not be able to afford Baynes next year without going into luxury tax. Who is Al’s backup? Theis is fine, but he’s nowhere close to Al. Monroe? He’ll be out of the league. We are *really* thin at the 4/5. We have two guys who can play PG in the conference finals and other secondary ballhandlers. It’s not stupid to wonder about this.

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2018, 10:40:39 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Phoenix showed a lot of interested in Kyrie last summer, if you're Ainge maybe you make the call to your former team about that #1 overall?

NOT.

Haha I know. It shows you how good Kyrie is to not trade him for a #1 pick, and this year's draft is supposed to be good. He's a borderline top 10 player. If I'm trading Kyrie, I want a top 9 player.

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Except in this case we keep Durant, Oladipo, Harden, and Ibaka, and send Westbrook out instead for a good 2-way wing and some picks.

Trading Westbrook to Houston for a late lotto pick and filler would have been dumb too. Some of the best deals are the ones you don't make.

FYI - Oladipo arrived in the Ibaka trade.

I love Kyrie. I think we’ll be great next year with him and Hayward added in. But it’s not hard to see why people think the current team is awfully good and don’t want to mess with it. I still would keep KI, but if he could bring back a big of comparable talent that would do a hell of a lot for our team and provide insurance if next year the hospital bug takes a bite out of Al. We may not be able to afford Baynes next year without going into luxury tax. Who is Al’s backup? Theis is fine, but he’s nowhere close to Al. Monroe? He’ll be out of the league. We are *really* thin at the 4/5. We have two guys who can play PG in the conference finals and other secondary ballhandlers. It’s not stupid to wonder about this.

You're arguing in favor of moving the best offensive player on the team for a backup center and some spare draft picks?

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2018, 08:29:30 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
You're arguing in favor of moving the best offensive player on the team for a backup center and some spare draft picks?
Personally speaking, I'd be willing to trade Kyrie for Ayton + another asset + salary filler (expiring).

Don't see how the Suns would be interested in such a deal, just saying.

Wouldn't trade with the Kings (assuming Ayton is available at #2) cause we own their pick next year.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:34:40 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2018, 08:32:33 PM »

Offline Joyride

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Very simple. Trade Kyrie and the Sac pick to PHX for their pick, draft Ayton, sign Baynes and Smart and you money left over for scary Terry.  All while staying under the cap.

People on this site should stop being so emotionally attached to players.

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2018, 08:39:33 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Very simple. Trade Kyrie and the Sac pick to PHX for their pick, draft Ayton, sign Baynes and Smart and you money left over for scary Terry.  All while staying under the cap.

No thanks. That's a huge overpay for Ayton.

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2018, 08:47:48 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

the thinking is that ayton gives us more than either Kyrie or rozier sitting on the bench. It makes sense. The sac pick is just to make the deal happen since Kyrie is an expiring 

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2018, 08:50:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That's a terrible trade.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2018, 08:54:07 PM »

Offline Joyride

• The Green Kornet

That's a terrible trade.

I was spitballing but the general framework would be Kyrie for Ayton.  We have to acknowledge that production per dollar is higher with Rozier than Kyrie. You get more bang for your buck with Terry

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2018, 08:59:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

That's a terrible trade.

I was spitballing but the general framework would be Kyrie for Ayton.  We have to acknowledge that production per dollar is higher with Rozier than Kyrie. You get more bang for your buck with Terry

If nothing else, its refreshing to see a difference of opinion rather than the extreme homerism that is typical of all things Kyrie. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

the thinking is that ayton gives us more than either Kyrie or rozier sitting on the bench. It makes sense. The sac pick is just to make the deal happen since Kyrie is an expiring
I can see Ayton giving us more than Kyrie in the future. Obviously, he wouldn't give us more than Kyrie next year (barring injuries).

Anyway, I don't think the Suns do it either. Kyrie is gonna opt out next summer. Chances are he won't re-sign with them. Basically they trade the #1 pick for the Kings pick (top 1 protected) and a 1-year rental of Kyrie.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:10:45 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2018, 09:04:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

That's a terrible trade.

That is true, but I just can't see any of these as realistic. Seeing Kyrie shoot down any trades by telling teams he simply won't resign with them would be a very real possibility. I'd also like to see Rozier put in a bigger body of efficient work, rather than just a good, and potentially misleading, playoff run.

That's a terrible trade.

If nothing else, its refreshing to see a difference of opinion rather than the extreme homerism that is typical of all things Kyrie.  His character issues and holes in his game -- defense, not making others better -is exactly what IT was criticized for after he was traded. 
It's easier to not get criticised for those things when you're not a 15ppg role player who feuds with teammates

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2018, 09:11:51 PM »

Offline Joyride

• The Green Kornet
In the end, it really doesn’t matter what we think. Danny has proved his worth and his trades and draft picks are almost Belichickian. In Danny we trust.

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2018, 09:24:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
In the end, it really doesn’t matter what we think. Danny has proved his worth and his trades and draft picks are almost Belichickian. In Danny we trust.
That’s true. Whenever I criticise a move 2 months later I feel like a fool