Poll

If you had to choose who would you rather trade for Daniels?

Brian Scalabrine
3 (4.8%)
Tony Allen
59 (95.2%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: August 01, 2009, 09:03:41 PM

Author Topic: Who would you rather trade Scal or Tony Allen in the Daniels deal?  (Read 10045 times)

Re: Who would you rather trade Scal or Tony Allen in the Daniels deal?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2009, 11:04:26 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Oh come on.  I realize the Tony Allen haters are having another field day, but TA is a much better player than Scalabrine.

Well, would the Real Tony
Allen please stand up, then?

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Is it possible he can go back to taking names now that his injuries are behind him?  YES.

Two things:

1) When has Tony ever "tak[en] names"?  (other than in perhaps one of his criminal pursuits); and

2) What makes you think his injuries are behind him?  Didn't he have another surgery this off-season?

Good old Tony:

The Pacers, beset by past citizenship issues, reportedly are reluctant to bring in Allen. The guard’s offcourt issues, including death threats in Chicago that required extra bench security during last spring’s playoffs, cut against the grain of Pacers president Larry Bird’s attempt to move away from the legacy of Ron Artest and Jamaal Tinsley.

“They need a third team, and that’s complicated,” one source said. “No other teams have jumped at it so far.”

The guy has negative trade value, despite having a cheap, expiring contract.  It takes an extra-special player to be the guy other teams wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

Good points, Roy.

Can't for the life of me remember when Tony's "taken names," but his name's been taken, for sure. Ask law enforcement, from Kansas to Oklahoma, through Chicago, etc.
Ahhh, Tony-haters.  I understand them, but i can't support them.  I'd rather have Scal also, but you can't deny that Tony has way more potential.  The guy has had injuries, and a couple of bad years.  That's not NEARLY enough to base a hate that strong.  You can't EXPECT him to have another horrible season.  You should expect him to play the way he should play.  If he continues to disappoint, that's a different story.  I'm all for moving him to another team for more talent, but HATING him is out of line.  Anyone of our players can get injured and have a horrible season.  It's part of the game.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2009, 11:25:12 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Is it possible he can go back to taking names now that his injuries are behind him?  YES.

Two things:

1) When has Tony ever "tak[en] names"?  (other than in perhaps one of his criminal pursuits); and

2) What makes you think his injuries are behind him?  Didn't he have another surgery this off-season?

Good old Tony:

The Pacers, beset by past citizenship issues, reportedly are reluctant to bring in Allen. The guard’s offcourt issues, including death threats in Chicago that required extra bench security during last spring’s playoffs, cut against the grain of Pacers president Larry Bird’s attempt to move away from the legacy of Ron Artest and Jamaal Tinsley.

“They need a third team, and that’s complicated,” one source said. “No other teams have jumped at it so far.”

The guy has negative trade value, despite having a cheap, expiring contract.  It takes an extra-special player to be the guy other teams wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.

Good points, Roy.

Can't for the life of me remember when Tony's "taken names," but his name's been taken, for sure. Ask law enforcement, from Kansas to Oklahoma, through Chicago, etc.
Ahhh, Tony-haters.  I understand them, but i can't support them.  I'd rather have Scal also, but you can't deny that Tony has way more potential.  The guy has had injuries, and a couple of bad years.  That's not NEARLY enough to base a hate that strong.  You can't EXPECT him to have another horrible season.  You should expect him to play the way he should play.  If he continues to disappoint, that's a different story.  I'm all for moving him to another team for more talent, but HATING him is out of line.  Anyone of our players can get injured and have a horrible season.  It's part of the game.
Didn't sound like hate to me. Sounded like valid criticisms.

Hopefully he can show something for us, but there are plenty of players who have gone on hot stretches once in their career and then never repeated that.

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2009, 11:46:29 PM »

Offline Celtics1990

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 49
Both of them  ;D
UBUNTU

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 02:03:19 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Two things:

Good old Tony:

Good points, Roy.

Hopefully he can show something for us, but there are plenty of players who have gone on hot stretches once in their career and then never repeated that.
There's more guys who are actually good players but have gone through cold streaks.  Especially during injuries, and especially when they're young.  I would say there's about a 60 percent chance that Tony will eventually become a decent starter on a bad team, or a good 2nd string player on a team like ours.  If not he's gonna at least be a serviceable guy off the bench on a team like ours such as an 11th or 12th man.  Not different from what Scal is, or ever will become.  I'm not saying i wanna have him sit our bench until that happens, but i don't see how anyone can hate him.
Philly:

« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 03:39:19 AM »

Offline Tnerb02

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'd rather trade Tony Allen for the simple fact that Scal's contract is bigger thus easier to match for a player at the trade deadline.

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 07:50:24 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Two things:

Good old Tony:

Good points, Roy.

There's more guys who are actually good players but have gone through cold streaks.  Especially during injuries, and especially when they're young.  I would say there's about a 60 percent chance that Tony will eventually become a decent starter on a bad team, or a good 2nd string player on a team like ours.  If not he's gonna at least be a serviceable guy off the bench on a team like ours such as an 11th or 12th man.  Not different from what Scal is, or ever will become.  I'm not saying i wanna have him sit our bench until that happens, but i don't see how anyone can hate him.

Being sick and tired of Tony's low basketball IQ isn't hating him. It's a fact: He's simply not basketball smart enough to EVER contribute to a winning basketball team. Bad judgment with the basketball, getting lost on defense on a dead ball ... it never changes. In the playoffs, when we were desperate for anything at all off the bench, Allen never played. I suppose that makes Doc Rivers a hater, too.

He has outlived his usefulness to the Celtics and it's time for him to go.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2009, 08:06:26 AM »

Offline BostonArizona

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 53
This is really a no brainer question.

First of all lets just think in regards to the depth chart.

You pick up a 2/3 in Daniels and then what few minutes that TA did have, are now gone, so he effectively have no purpose on this team.

Why on earth would you keep him.

I'm a big TA fan and loved watching him play in Boston but now its just not smart to keep him around.

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Two things:

Good old Tony:

Good points, Roy.

Being sick and tired of Tony's low basketball IQ isn't hating him. It's a fact: He's simply not basketball smart enough to EVER contribute to a winning basketball team. Bad judgment with the basketball, getting lost on defense on a dead ball ... it never changes. In the playoffs, when we were desperate for anything at all off the bench, Allen never played. I suppose that makes Doc Rivers a hater, too.

He has outlived his usefulness to the Celtics and it's time for him to go.
Is there some kind of basketball IQ test I'm unaware of?  I've seen TA make MANY smart plays.  Most of his mistakes the last two years have been due to his injuries, or his coldness off the bench.
Are you trying to say he suddenly got dumb around the same time he tore his ACL.  This guy's problems are physical, not mental.  You really can't judge how smart he his until you see him play significant minutes.  He's not Anderson Varejao.
Philly: