Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 292905 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #1560 on: February 02, 2023, 12:10:49 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I wouldn’t want to be in the Thibs doghouse...  :laugh:

Cam Reddish complaints about role led to doghouse?

Once Grimes returned to the regular rotation, Cam Reddish’s minutes and role decreased. He was out of the rotation by Dec. 4. That night, the Knicks beat the Cavs. It was the start of a season-altering eight-game winning streak. At one point before that Dec. 4 game, Reddish expressed displeasure to a Knick assistant coach about the way Thibodeau was using him, per people familiar with the matter. Reddish has not played since he expressed that displeasure. – via SportsNet New York
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 12:18:28 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1561 on: February 02, 2023, 12:17:44 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I wouldn’t want to be in Thibs doghouse...  :laugh:

Once Grimes returned to the regular rotation, Cam Reddish’s minutes and role decreased. He was out of the rotation by Dec. 4. That night, the Knicks beat the Cavs. It was the start of a season-altering eight-game winning streak. At one point before that Dec. 4 game, Reddish expressed displeasure to a Knick assistant coach about the way Thibodeau was using him, per people familiar with the matter. Reddish has not played since he expressed that displeasure. – via SportsNet New York

This after the Hawks moved on from him under similar circumstances.  Doesn't seem like someone who'd be happy with Sam Hauser minutes.

« Reply #1562 on: February 02, 2023, 01:16:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
The West really is a bloodbath. The 4th seed (Clippers) and 13th seed (Lakers) are literally only separated by 4 games, with the rest of the teams in that group within 3-4 games of each other too. I don't think anyone can really make any definitive claims about the West playoff picture after the 2nd seed. I mean it's unlikely but even if a team like the Lakers or Thunder go on a random hot streak they could easily become the 3 or 4 seed pretty quickly in the West.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1563 on: February 02, 2023, 01:28:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The West really is a bloodbath. The 4th seed (Clippers) and 13th seed (Lakers) are literally only separated by 4 games, with the rest of the teams in that group within 3-4 games of each other too. I don't think anyone can really make any definitive claims about the West playoff picture after the 2nd seed. I mean it's unlikely but even if a team like the Lakers or Thunder go on a random hot streak they could easily become the 3 or 4 seed pretty quickly in the West.
I really don't know what to make the of west.  A ton of parity, but I have no idea if anyone is actually any good.  I think Denver and Memphis are, and I do really like New Orleans when they are healthy (I don't think they will be healthy).  After that so much inconsistency it is hard to gauge.  I think Golden State and the Clippers could be really really good, but they have both struggled at times even with their main people.  If the Lakers are somehow healthy for the playoffs I wouldn't count them out as they'd have 2 top 10 players in that scenario and that matters a great deal in the playoffs.  Luka is a guy that can carry a team so Dallas can be scary.  I do think Phoenix is done (as a contender) and I don't trust Sacramento or Minnesota.  Utah, OKC, and Portland are nice stories but not talented enough. 

The East on the other hand is top heavy.  I can pretty comfortably say that 6 of the 8 best teams in the sport are in the East right now (the top 6 along with Denver and Memphis).  Tails off some after those 6, but still some teams that could give the top 6 fits in the playoffs.  That is why seeding and match-ups in the East are going to be very important.  You need a path that provides the better match-ups.  Frankly, the seeding right now would be pretty solid for Boston playing Atlanta, then BKN/CLE, before you meet the MIL/PHI/MIA group all of which are worse match-ups for the C's. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1564 on: February 02, 2023, 01:40:36 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

I wouldn’t want to be in Thibs doghouse...  :laugh:

This after the Hawks moved on from him under similar circumstances.  Doesn't seem like someone who'd be happy with Sam Hauser minutes.

Sometimes when you get traded enough you get it but sometimes players never get it. Reddish needs to become a pro like Pritchard has. Pritchard is always ready to go.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 02:11:30 PM by liam »

« Reply #1565 on: February 02, 2023, 01:42:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
I really don't know what to make the of west.  A ton of parity, but I have no idea if anyone is actually any good.  I think Denver and Memphis are, and I do really like New Orleans when they are healthy (I don't think they will be healthy).  After that so much inconsistency it is hard to gauge.  I think Golden State and the Clippers could be really really good, but they have both struggled at times even with their main people.  If the Lakers are somehow healthy for the playoffs I wouldn't count them out as they'd have 2 top 10 players in that scenario and that matters a great deal in the playoffs.  Luka is a guy that can carry a team so Dallas can be scary.  I do think Phoenix is done (as a contender) and I don't trust Sacramento or Minnesota.  Utah, OKC, and Portland are nice stories but not talented enough. 

The East on the other hand is top heavy.  I can pretty comfortably say that 6 of the 8 best teams in the sport are in the East right now (the top 6 along with Denver and Memphis).  Tails off some after those 6, but still some teams that could give the top 6 fits in the playoffs.  That is why seeding and match-ups in the East are going to be very important.  You need a path that provides the better match-ups.  Frankly, the seeding right now would be pretty solid for Boston playing Atlanta, then BKN/CLE, before you meet the MIL/PHI/MIA group all of which are worse match-ups for the C's.

That's why I still think Golden State could come out of the West... (again)

Which would suck for us IF we make the Finals again. But be honest, pretend the series is set and it's Golden State vs. Denver and/or Golden State vs. Memphis. Who do you pick to win the series? Because I hate to say it, I'd still lean Golden State. I'm not a huge believer in some of the current top teams in the West, although I'd love for DEN/MEM/SAC to make noise and make deep runs

The deadline could also play a factor. If Dallas manages to pull off a trade for a legit #2 behind Doncic, then DAL could become one of the real favorites in the West with Doncic leading the way
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1566 on: February 02, 2023, 01:47:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That's why I still think Golden State could come out of the West... (again)

Which would suck for us IF we make the Finals again. But be honest, pretend the series is set and it's Golden State vs. Denver and/or Golden State vs. Memphis. Who do you pick to win the series? Because I hate to say it, I'd still lean Golden State. I'm not a huge believer in some of the current top teams in the West, although I'd love for DEN/MEM/SAC to make noise and make deep runs

The deadline could also play a factor. If Dallas manages to pull off a trade for a legit #2 behind Doncic, then DAL could become one of the real favorites in the West with Doncic leading the way
If Jokic becomes a playoff player like he is in the regular season, I think Denver comes out of the West.  Jokic hasn't been that guy really as Denver has been better the last 3 years with Jokic on the bench in the playoffs (vastly different from the regular season).  If Denver has that insane on/off with Jokic in the playoffs, they should come out of the west without a ton of issue. 

« Reply #1567 on: February 02, 2023, 01:47:54 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

I agree, none of the top teams from last season (GSW, PHO, MEM) seem that dangerous this season.  Then there are a bunch of just kind of OK teams.  And then there are the "if healthy" teams like NOP and LAL.  I see either as a potential sleeper team.  Time is running out though so the if healthy teams better get healthy real quick.  GSW got it together late last season (I guess the Celtics did too) so it can happen.

« Reply #1568 on: February 02, 2023, 01:54:14 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
If Jokic becomes a playoff player like he is in the regular season, I think Denver comes out of the West.  Jokic hasn't been that guy really as Denver has been better the last 3 years with Jokic on the bench in the playoffs (vastly different from the regular season).  If Denver has that insane on/off with Jokic in the playoffs, they should come out of the west without a ton of issue.

Denver didn't have Jamal Murray for the playoffs last season.  He makes a difference.   They also didn't have Porter.  Having one or both of these players will make it harder other teams to double/triple team Jokic.  In the playoffs, teams are able to focus on stopping one guy like that.  Let player xxxx be the one to beat you but not Jokic.  Jokic maybe can play better also but it isn't just about him I don't think.

« Reply #1569 on: February 02, 2023, 02:44:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
People saying Anthony Davis is a top ten player right now completely blows my mind. He hasn’t been an allstar since 2020 and hasn’t made an all defensive or all nba team since then unless Wikipedia is off. He won’t make the all star game this year and almost certainly won’t make all nba given the season is half over. How long does this guy get to ride being a great a player a few seasons ago for? He had a 5 or so game stretch where he was great but come on….

« Reply #1570 on: February 02, 2023, 03:20:28 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
People saying Anthony Davis is a top ten player right now completely blows my mind. He hasn’t been an allstar since 2020 and hasn’t made an all defensive or all nba team since then unless Wikipedia is off. He won’t make the all star game this year and almost certainly won’t make all nba given the season is half over. How long does this guy get to ride being a great a player a few seasons ago for? He had a 5 or so game stretch where he was great but come on….

I am not sure what people are saying but it seems pretty clear that when he is on the floor, he is an all star level player.  I don't know about top 10 or 15 or what but this season, in the 28 games he has actually played, he has put up 27 pts, 12 rebs on 59% shooting.  Add in 2 blocks, a couple of assists, and a steal along with overall plus defense and it adds up to an important impact to the game.

The problem of course is that he can't seem to stay on the court.  He always seems hurt.  I think him not making an all star team or all defensive team is more about the injuries than his performance when he is on the court.  He isn't quite in Giannis's league but he is right there with other likely all stars such as Zion, Markkanen, Sabonis, Siakam, Adebayo in the 28 games he has actually played.

« Reply #1571 on: February 02, 2023, 04:14:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I am not sure what people are saying but it seems pretty clear that when he is on the floor, he is an all star level player.  I don't know about top 10 or 15 or what but this season, in the 28 games he has actually played, he has put up 27 pts, 12 rebs on 59% shooting.  Add in 2 blocks, a couple of assists, and a steal along with overall plus defense and it adds up to an important impact to the game.

The problem of course is that he can't seem to stay on the court.  He always seems hurt.  I think him not making an all star team or all defensive team is more about the injuries than his performance when he is on the court.  He isn't quite in Giannis's league but he is right there with other likely all stars such as Zion, Markkanen, Sabonis, Siakam, Adebayo in the 28 games he has actually played.

Not sure if you meant it, but you are intentionally agreeing with me at least. A page up we got people saying Davis is a top ten player. Nobody considers sabonis, siakam or adebayo or markkanen a top ten player. I’m all for agreeing he can be an all star but the top ten player just had to stop. Which you indicated in your comments.

« Reply #1572 on: February 02, 2023, 04:58:39 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Not sure if you meant it, but you are intentionally agreeing with me at least. A page up we got people saying Davis is a top ten player. Nobody considers sabonis, siakam or adebayo or markkanen a top ten player. I’m all for agreeing he can be an all star but the top ten player just had to stop. Which you indicated in your comments.

Roy had posted the top 10 trade value per Hoophype in another thread:

1. Luka
2. Giannis
3. Jokic
4. Tatum
5. Morant
6. Embiid
7. Booker
8. Durant
9.  Curry
10. Gilgeous-Alexander

Not sure if top 10 trade value is the same as top 10 but I don't think he is so far off this list.  So if you are saying all star but not top 10, seems reasonable.  But he is discounted based on durability not ability.  If they can get him healthy, I think the Lakers can make a run to come out of the West.  They probably won't keep him healthy though, that is the problem.  That is why it is hard to peg where to rank him.  It could be anywhere from top 10 if he is playing to nothing if he isn't playing.  If he is somewhere in between top 10 and nothing, I don't know exactly where that is.

« Reply #1573 on: February 02, 2023, 05:10:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Roy had posted the top 10 trade value per Hoophype in another thread:

1. Luka
2. Giannis
3. Jokic
4. Tatum
5. Morant
6. Embiid
7. Booker
8. Durant
9.  Curry
10. Gilgeous-Alexander

Not sure if top 10 trade value is the same as top 10 but I don't think he is so far off this list.  So if you are saying all star but not top 10, seems reasonable.  But he is discounted based on durability not ability.  If they can get him healthy, I think the Lakers can make a run to come out of the West.  They probably won't keep him healthy though, that is the problem.  That is why it is hard to peg where to rank him.  It could be anywhere from top 10 if he is playing to nothing if he isn't playing.  If he is somewhere in between top 10 and nothing, I don't know exactly where that is.
hoopshype pegged his trade value at 17, but that isn't the same thing as ability as a player.  If Davis was a picture of health, his trade value would probably 4th behind only Luka, Giannis, and Jokic and he might be ahead of Jokic. 

And I absolutely think if everyone in the league is fully healthy, Davis is in fact a top 10 player.  I think he is clearly behind Giannis, Jokic, and Luka, but those are the only 3 I'd say he is clearly behind.  I'd personally have him behind Durant, Curry, and Embiid, so I'd have him 7th.  I'd put Tatum at 8th, Lebron at 9th, and Leonard at 10th (another guy that isn't ever healthy).  Davis is rarely healthy though and that is the problem, but when he is healthy, he is an absolutely amazing player. 

As for trade value, I agree with the top 4.  That is a different thing.  Tatum given his age, contract situation, and health gets bumped ahead of guys that I believe are better than him if they are healthy.  I don't think Morant should be 5th on the trade value scale.  That seems very high for a poor defender who struggles to stay healthy and isn't a good shooter.  He has a whole lot of Allen Iverson in him, both the good and the bad (the aggression, passion in addition to a superb ability with the ball and around the rim are great traits to have). 

« Reply #1574 on: February 02, 2023, 07:31:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
So tyrese Halliburton made all star team and harden did not? Or am I missing something. Either way the 76ers gotta be absolutely kicking themselves that took harden over Halliburton.