Author Topic: Celtics (3-1) vs Heat (2-2) Vegas SL Game 5 7/14/18  (Read 13341 times)

Re: Celtics (3-1) vs Heat (2-2) Vegas SL Game 5 7/14/18
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Who was it that missed the uncontested layup in crunch time?

And we had some crucial missed free throws at end of game that could have contributed to a loss or tie in the case of Yabu's miss.

« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2018, 10:26:56 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
He is not elite. He’s a good defender. He can’t hit threes. There will be few minutes.

Care to make a minutes prediction?

I take it you would at least agree that he’s elite at staying in front of his man and getting a hand up to contest (i.e.: quick hips and shoulders combined with anticipation), and that those are the most important skills for a defender. If not then we don’t need to waste time getting into the finer points.

You may remember after a game with Phoenix this past season that Brad remarked on his defense, saying something like he was on his way to being an elite defender, “and I’m not sure he isn’t there already.”
Semi is not elite or even near elite in any facet of the game. He’s a pretty good defender, which is impressive given he was drafted in the second round, but calling him elite is a major exaggeration. As for a minutes prediction, I’d guess five minutes per game or so, with a lot more dnp-cd’s than a lot of people think unless an injury opens a spot for him. If Smart stays he is the 11th man on the roster at best, maybe 12th if Wanamaker can contribute. Hard to see a guy that far down the roster who can’t shoot, pass, dribble or finish at the rim getting a lot of time. The Celts have much better options.

I don’t think much of your scouting. You’re going to be surprised.
Maybe, I've never claimed any special insight. I just haven't seen enough to make me think he's going to be anything more than a defensive sub off the bench. I don't understand why so many people think he's going to be a big time player. What have you all seen in NBA action that gives you such confidence.
His defense will get him on the roster, it will get him some spot minutes when rotation guys get in foul trouble or need a night off. It makes him playable when a rotation guy goes down with an injury. But unless he finds a way to contribute on offense, I don't see why they would put him in the rotation. Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Morris, Theis and even Smart should get minutes before Semi.
He's the 11th man on the roster at best, maybe 12th. How many minutes can we expect the 11th or 12th man to get?

Agreed.

People get really carried away with this elite defender stuff. He plays good positional defense, but he's doesn't have the length to contest many shots and isn't going to be active in passing lanes either.

Offensively he doesn't have one single skill that you can say is even average. For his position, 3/4, he's a below average shooter, ball handler, passer, and doesn't have great instincts moving without the ball like a Hayward, Bradley, or even J. Bird have. People might look at his low 30's shooting percentage and think it's not too bad, but these are wide open shots he's taking and mostly shorter corner shots. Teams just ignore him, using his defender to help, which hurts are spacing and bogs down our offense.
I agree with all of this. And the fact that his three point shooting has not looked any better in summer league is concerning. If he can't shoot threes in summer league, how can we possibly expect him to shoot them in the NBA.

Who shoots well in summer league?
But he has also shown that he can't shoot well in the NBA. Why are we supposed to think that is going to change?

Because he was just a rookie last year, and frequently rookies are much better in their second season.
And frequently they are not better, and so far we have seen no signs that he is better in the key area, three point shooting. I also worry that he is not going to get an opportunity to play. How can he get better if he doesn't play? Right now the Celts have too many guys ahead of him who should be playing.

« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2018, 11:22:15 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
He is not elite. He’s a good defender. He can’t hit threes. There will be few minutes.

Care to make a minutes prediction?

I take it you would at least agree that he’s elite at staying in front of his man and getting a hand up to contest (i.e.: quick hips and shoulders combined with anticipation), and that those are the most important skills for a defender. If not then we don’t need to waste time getting into the finer points.

You may remember after a game with Phoenix this past season that Brad remarked on his defense, saying something like he was on his way to being an elite defender, “and I’m not sure he isn’t there already.”
Semi is not elite or even near elite in any facet of the game. He’s a pretty good defender, which is impressive given he was drafted in the second round, but calling him elite is a major exaggeration. As for a minutes prediction, I’d guess five minutes per game or so, with a lot more dnp-cd’s than a lot of people think unless an injury opens a spot for him. If Smart stays he is the 11th man on the roster at best, maybe 12th if Wanamaker can contribute. Hard to see a guy that far down the roster who can’t shoot, pass, dribble or finish at the rim getting a lot of time. The Celts have much better options.

I don’t think much of your scouting. You’re going to be surprised.
Maybe, I've never claimed any special insight. I just haven't seen enough to make me think he's going to be anything more than a defensive sub off the bench. I don't understand why so many people think he's going to be a big time player. What have you all seen in NBA action that gives you such confidence.
His defense will get him on the roster, it will get him some spot minutes when rotation guys get in foul trouble or need a night off. It makes him playable when a rotation guy goes down with an injury. But unless he finds a way to contribute on offense, I don't see why they would put him in the rotation. Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Morris, Theis and even Smart should get minutes before Semi.
He's the 11th man on the roster at best, maybe 12th. How many minutes can we expect the 11th or 12th man to get?

Agreed.

People get really carried away with this elite defender stuff. He plays good positional defense, but he's doesn't have the length to contest many shots and isn't going to be active in passing lanes either.

Offensively he doesn't have one single skill that you can say is even average. For his position, 3/4, he's a below average shooter, ball handler, passer, and doesn't have great instincts moving without the ball like a Hayward, Bradley, or even J. Bird have. People might look at his low 30's shooting percentage and think it's not too bad, but these are wide open shots he's taking and mostly shorter corner shots. Teams just ignore him, using his defender to help, which hurts are spacing and bogs down our offense.
I agree with all of this. And the fact that his three point shooting has not looked any better in summer league is concerning. If he can't shoot threes in summer league, how can we possibly expect him to shoot them in the NBA.

Who shoots well in summer league?
But he has also shown that he can't shoot well in the NBA. Why are we supposed to think that is going to change?

Because he was just a rookie last year, and frequently rookies are much better in their second season.
And frequently they are not better, and so far we have seen no signs that he is better in the key area, three point shooting. I also worry that he is not going to get an opportunity to play. How can he get better if he doesn't play? Right now the Celts have too many guys ahead of him who should be playing.
so, since all posters are making good points backed up by historical precedent, i guess the only way for us to know about his shooting is to wait and see?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva