Author Topic: The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...  (Read 21322 times)

Re: The buyout / 15th roster spot thread...
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2024, 05:15:35 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Gallo probably got sour grapes toward the Celtics
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2024, 05:22:55 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Gallinari is somewhat intriguing to me.  At least he has the potential to improve.  It is possible that he is still not at full strength after the surgery.  It can talk a whole season to be fully back.  So maybe, you can bring him in, keep him working on his reconditioning, and maybe, he gives you something in the playoffs.  A spark in a game or two.  I don't think you can expect anything more from any of these guys.

He also might simply be spent and this is as good as he is going to be.  We could bring him in at minimum cost, let him keep working, keep Queta on his 2-way, and then make the call closer to the playoffs.  If Gallinari is showing anything, keep him.  If not, cut him and convert Queta.  That is the beauty of having Queta on a 2-way, all the flexibility in the world, and he will can be an RFA next season if we don't convert him.

It’s really bad form to cut a vet like Gallo after March 1st, because then they can’t be eligible for the playoffs for another team.  While permissible, you just don’t do that to a vet you signed in February.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2024, 05:49:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Kormaz and Knox both waived today.

Knox is still only 24. He just never put it together on either end. His best season was year one at age 19. All down hill from there.

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2024, 05:52:30 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Rumored / potential buyouts:

Delon Wright
Delon Wright is a poor man's Derrick White / Jrue Holiday: Oversized combo guard, 2-way player, can do a little bit of everything on offense, excels at nothing. I believe he'd be a perfect fit on the C's alongside 2 high-usage (s)wings in Tatum and Brown.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 05:59:46 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2024, 09:38:22 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Gallinari is somewhat intriguing to me.  At least he has the potential to improve.  It is possible that he is still not at full strength after the surgery.  It can talk a whole season to be fully back.  So maybe, you can bring him in, keep him working on his reconditioning, and maybe, he gives you something in the playoffs.  A spark in a game or two.  I don't think you can expect anything more from any of these guys.

He also might simply be spent and this is as good as he is going to be.  We could bring him in at minimum cost, let him keep working, keep Queta on his 2-way, and then make the call closer to the playoffs.  If Gallinari is showing anything, keep him.  If not, cut him and convert Queta.  That is the beauty of having Queta on a 2-way, all the flexibility in the world, and he will can be an RFA next season if we don't convert him.

It’s really bad form to cut a vet like Gallo after March 1st, because then they can’t be eligible for the playoffs for another team.  While permissible, you just don’t do that to a vet you signed in February.
on top of that, i really, really do not think that queta will make a difference in the playoffs.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2024, 10:00:42 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I might've misunderstood the new rules cuz I thought we could sign Joe Harris who was my first choice.

Otherwise, I'd be done with Seth Curry if he's bought out.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2024, 10:43:15 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I might've misunderstood the new rules cuz I thought we could sign Joe Harris who was my first choice.

Otherwise, I'd be done with Seth Curry if he's bought out.

Harris was paid $19m before getting bought out. We can’t sign anyone who was earning over $12.4m before buyout because we are over the first apron.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2024, 08:54:12 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

I agree, and maybe Gallinari would be offered and take a better situation.  But so long as you are up front with the player, I don't think it is unfair.  Some veterans take 10-day contracts.  I suppose the Celtics could offer a series of 10-day contracts to cover the "try out" period.  Again, if Gallinari had better offers, regular contracts on teams with an expected role, understandably he would take that over the Celtics offer and situation.

In the end, if we sign Gallinari and don't cut him, keep him on for the playoffs, it is still fine in terms of Queta.  He stays a 2-way, doesn't get any playoff experience (he likely wouldn't play much anyway), but we have him as an RFA in the off season.  We don't "lose" Queta in any case.

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2024, 09:33:25 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Dinwiddie was already catching the Lakers game with Pelinka last night, so I think we know which way he’s leaning.

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2024, 10:08:39 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I'd think that Cedi Osman would be a good fit. A big wing that can shoot. He's a playoff vet.

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2024, 10:21:23 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
Assuming Springer isn't going to be part of the rotation, I think the position the Celtics could use some depth would be one more big guard/quick forward. Furkan Korkmaz, Danuel House, Delon Wright... Someone like that.

On the other hand, no buyout candidate is likely to factor into the rotation much so my choice would be Gallo. I just think, from a vibes standpoint, bringing him back and giving him a chance to win a championship as a Celtic after not being able to play at all last season would be great. And he's a little more insurance at the 4/5.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2024, 10:36:18 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!

Now that we have Tillman, I think the smart play with Queta is to NOT sign him now thus burning a year of his multi year low cost contract riding the bench in the playoffs.  Better to sign him to a cheap four deal this summer.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2024, 11:22:56 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Gallinari  - offers something different in certain matchups than Brissett. Good story.

Wright - emergency guard that could fit in if needed.

Bertans - made too much but would have been cool to get Latvian laser.

Jordan Bell or Darius Bazely - athletic 4 from G league. Both very similar in size to Brissett. Cant shoot but can defend.

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2024, 11:34:42 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Depends on who gets bought out but thinking whoever they get us to have a skill like good defense or good 3 pt shooting. I like Wright for that. He’s a point guard that can defend and hit the three and has better size than Crypto P so he can’t get hunted in the playoffs.

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2024, 01:05:26 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
The best any of the above candidates can do is be our 10th man. Some adequate names that maybe can fill that bill. But as always with this Celtics generation, Brad is going to have to think strongly about chemistry. On court and in the locker room.

I won’t be crushed if no buy out vets get signed, there is very little chance of creating an impact. But they should at least use the spot for a good practice guy or a looksee at a prospect.