Poll

If AD agrees to be here 3 years, is that enough to make the trade including Tatum & Smart?

Yes
27 (65.9%)
No
14 (34.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author Topic: Poll: If AD says he will be here but only 3 years total, do you do trade or not?  (Read 4759 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yes. Kyrie is borderline top 10 in the league. AD is borderline top 3. That's enough time to put a team around him to entice him to stay.

Eventually, I think the top players are going to want to be able to make personnel decisions like Lebron has. I know I would want to handpick my friends (who are also the best in the world) to hang out with for a couple of years.

I'm curious to see if this trend continues, and whether Danny ends up caving to get a top 5 player.
Borderline top3 is absolute lunacy at this point.
Lebron , Kawhi, giannis , Durant and Curry are all more impactful than him. You can also argue that guys like harden , oladipo and George and butler singlehandedly drag their teams to the playoffs year after year.... what has Davis achieved so far?
Lol. This isn't really true. Put those guys under the worst coach with one of the worst GM's in the league (Solomon Hill contract, trading for Asik, missing on draft picks, building imbalanced teams with no wings) and you get Anthony Davis. Kevin Garnett had better players surrounding him (Szczerbiak, Billups, Brandon) than AD has (besides Jrue) and it took him until he was 27 to even make it out of the first round of the playoffs, which was when he had Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell.

Anthony Davis is averaging 28-13-4-2.5-1.6 on splits of 51/32/81. He's a 3 time All-NBA First team player, 6 time All-Star, 1 time All-Defence 1st team, 2 time All-Defence 2nd team, 3 time Block Champion, All-Star Game MVP and NCAA Champ.

Calling someone that is routinely voted as a top 5 player in the league "borderline top 3" is hilariously far from lunacy. Nonsense.
Those stats are nice. Remind me of the overhyped Kevin love’s stats before he got traded to the cavs.. a big chunk of those stats are meaningless empty stats in not heavily contested games.
I bet if you plug AD on our team and he will average 60% of the above line which will be nice but not top 3 nice.
I could not disagree more strongly. Anthony Davis is almost an infinitely better defender than Love, while being a better passer and scorer, with comparable rebounding.

I bet if you plug AD into this team he will comfortably average 24/12 with 2+ blocks and 1+ steals per game.

Also, Kevin Love has more rings than anyone on our team not named Kyrie or Aron.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
I’m in the keep Tatum camp. I believe he is the next coming of Paul pierce and can take the Celtics to the top. He just needs the right teammates around him. Imagine having garnet and Allen 5 years before they came to the Celtics .
With that being said I sneaked on the pelicans forums and a good number of the fans are calling Davis mr softie and that he disappears against tough teams... looks like Embiid absolutely dominated him as well...they also were saying how he’s not an alpha dog (which is fine he doesn’t have to be here if Tatum stays )
It also makes sense that Lebron wants him so bad... he’s a better and more obedient version of Kevin love

Paul Pierce doesn’t get a championship with out KG. Growing Taum isnt gettting a championship within itself. I’ll happily eat Crowe if we win it this year (unlikely) but 3 years of AD and Kyrie and Hayward is the best group Ainge can do to get a championship in this rebuild.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Yes. Kyrie is borderline top 10 in the league. AD is borderline top 3. That's enough time to put a team around him to entice him to stay.

Eventually, I think the top players are going to want to be able to make personnel decisions like Lebron has. I know I would want to handpick my friends (who are also the best in the world) to hang out with for a couple of years.

I'm curious to see if this trend continues, and whether Danny ends up caving to get a top 5 player.
Borderline top3 is absolute lunacy at this point.
Lebron , Kawhi, giannis , Durant and Curry are all more impactful than him. You can also argue that guys like harden , oladipo and George and butler singlehandedly drag their teams to the playoffs year after year.... what has Davis achieved so far?
Lol. This isn't really true. Put those guys under the worst coach with one of the worst GM's in the league (Solomon Hill contract, trading for Asik, missing on draft picks, building imbalanced teams with no wings) and you get Anthony Davis. Kevin Garnett had better players surrounding him (Szczerbiak, Billups, Brandon) than AD has (besides Jrue) and it took him until he was 27 to even make it out of the first round of the playoffs, which was when he had Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell.

Anthony Davis is averaging 28-13-4-2.5-1.6 on splits of 51/32/81. He's a 3 time All-NBA First team player, 6 time All-Star, 1 time All-Defence 1st team, 2 time All-Defence 2nd team, 3 time Block Champion, All-Star Game MVP and NCAA Champ.

Calling someone that is routinely voted as a top 5 player in the league "borderline top 3" is hilariously far from lunacy. Nonsense.
Garnett's Wolves were winning 45-50 games every year though.  Brandon was a nice player in Cleveland before he got hurt.  He was a shell of himself in Minnesota.  Wally was an excellent shooter, but literally did nothing else.  Billups was a journeyman player still.  It took him a couple of seasons into his Detroit career before he became anything respectable.

Holiday is the best player of that 4-some, even after his injury.  Cousins (I know he came over mid-season and then got hurt he next year) is by far the best player on either of those teams.  I'd take Mirotic over anyone KG played with until the Spree/Sam team.  What about Eric Gordon, did you forget about him?  Gordon is a more dynamic version of Wally.  The 15-16 Pelicans had Davis, Gordon, Holiday, Tyreke Evans, Ryan Anderson, Tim Frazier, Ish Smith, James Ennis, Norris Cole along with Kendrick Perkins, Omer Asik, and Aleks Ajinca - they won 30 games.  That is awful given the talent on that team.  Where was Davis leading the charge on that one.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Assuming question means exactly 3 years, then leave...

No. Championship seems unlikely in the next 3 years. Not enough to give up all their best assets

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
AD is a sure thing. Kyrie is a sure thing. I’m sorry but you just don’t know how guys develop. There aren’t a lot of cases where top picks grow under already-great teams. Maybe that stunts Tatum’s path to stardom. We don’t know. I sure hope Tatum turns into a star... and I also hoped Al jefferson would turn into a star. He did turn into a star... named Kevin Garnett.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

No. Championship seems unlikely in the next 3 years. Not enough to give up all their best assets

I do not believe a championship would be deemed “unlikely” over the next three seasons if they added Davis.

Irving/Hayward/Horford/Davis would be as fearsome a foursome as there is, and that would include if GSW stayed together.

It wouldn’t be guaranteed, but I’d say they would be heavy favorites in the East and most likely the favorite to win the title.
CELTICS 2024

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

I do not believe a championship would be deemed “unlikely” over the next three seasons if they added Davis.

Irving/Hayward/Horford/Davis would be as fearsome a foursome as there is, and that would include if GSW stayed together.

It wouldn’t be guaranteed, but I’d say they would be heavy favorites in the East and most likely the favorite to win the title.

I’d pick current GSW for sure over them. Also Hayward’s a major question mark for the future, and Horford will be 33 in June

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I’d pick current GSW for sure over them. Also Hayward’s a major question mark for the future, and Horford will be 33 in June
1. There is an extremely good chance that Golden State's core is broken up either this season or next. If all four of Curry, Green, Durant and Thompson are still together to start the 2020-21 season, I would be shocked.

2. Horford's age is irrelevant. He won't be asked to be anything more than a glue guy/role player, which, given the nature of his game, he should be able to do until he is 37 or longer. He will no longer be asked to play the best big man on the other team, be the team's best rebounder or even score that much.

3. Yes, Hayward may never be what he was in Utah 2 years ago, but as a #3 option, he wouldn't need to be that good for this team to be a contender. But if he comes back at close to that good, it easily cements this team as a favorite to win it all.

4. The team will still have Smart or Brown or both, plus Baynes and Semi. Morris could also easily be brought back and the team would have their taxpayer MLE to sign a bench rotation player. So the team could be

Irving/Brown/Hayward/Davis/Horford starting with

Smart/Semi/Morris/Baynes/MLE player off the bench.

To me, that smells like a title contending team...easily.