Author Topic: Without Trading Away Rondo and Green We Can't Tank  (Read 17551 times)

Without Trading Away Rondo and Green We Can't Tank
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:29 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I have been a proponent of tanking in order to try and secure Wiggins or Parker. I think that they, especially Wiggins, give us the best opportunity to win future championships. That being said, there is no way on earth that this roster can lose enough to be in the bottom couple of teams this upcoming season.

Rondo
Bradley/Lee/Brooks
Green/Wallace
Bass/Humphries/Sullinger
Olynyk

Clearly we have a big hole at the Center spot as Olynyk is much more likely to be effective at the PF spot, but even with him playing Center, this isn't a "worst in the league" talent roster. This is probably a 30-35 win team. Considering there will be one or two of the "rest of the guys" that have a decent year and we are flirting with an 8th seed most of the season. That will result in us being mediocre for another long stretch.

You will see whether or not DA is serious about not tanking if Rondo and Green are on the roster. If Rondo gets traded, then it was lip service. If both, then we are truly in full on tank mode. Without them both, this team is a 15 win team.

Re: Without Trading Away Rondo and Green We Can't Tank
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
As constructed, we're a 20-25 win team.  We have a very unbalanced roster with major holes and key pieces in their development phase.  In addition to the talent deficit and poor fit of the roster, there are the inevitable interregnum problems that will accompany a transition as radical as we face this upcoming season.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
As constructed, we're a 20-25 win team.  We have a very unbalanced roster with major holes and key pieces in their development phase.  In addition to the talent deficit and poor fit of the roster, there are the inevitable interregnum problems that will accompany a transition as radical as we face this upcoming season.

Last year's Bobcats won 21 games. Are you saying that we are going to be as bad as them?

Rondo is more valuable than their entire starting 5! And Green would be their best player if he was on that team.

I agree with OP. 30-35 wins is a good projection. Not horrible, but not good either.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283

Last year's Bobcats won 21 games. Are you saying that we are going to be as bad as them?

Rondo is more valuable than their entire starting 5! And Green would be their best player if he was on that team.

I agree with OP. 30-35 wins is a good projection. Not horrible, but not good either.
so you think losing KG, Pierce, Terry, Barbosa, and Doc will only drop us down 6 wins?

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think the tanking decision will come when the Celtics are looking like a late lottery team that has a chance to make the playoffs and it becomes a question of making a playoff push vs selling off useful veterans for assets towards the deadline and slipping into the bottom ten with a better shot of getting lucky in the lottery.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:54:55 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

so you think losing KG, Pierce, Terry, Barbosa, and Doc will only drop us down 6 wins?

Given that we added Wallace and Humphries and are getting Rondo and Sullinger back, yes. 

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think we can tank with Green.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
That is why we are not tanking we are the Boston Celtics
Get over it - only losers tank.

Why trade away the only two players you have any hope of building around.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
That is why we are not tanking we are the Boston Celtics
Get over it - only losers tank.

Why trade away the only two players you have any hope of building around.
Then I guess we were losers in 2007, and OKC were losers too...

oh wait, I'd rather be OKC than be in NBA purgatory.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 07:43:53 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1553
I think we can tank with Green.

but of course, Green is not scoring 50 points a night and our defense will be giving up 100 points a night plenty without KG down low. Even with sully and Olynyk we can still tank. Maybe even with rondo also. We do not have the overall offense to outscore teams. yet.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 07:47:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Green isn't going to carry the team to many wins.

We'll see how effective Rondo is at carrying a team in the regular season.  He's never done it before with any consistency.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 08:25:44 AM »

Offline masteremile123

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10

I agree , with kg and pierce we were one of the worst offenses in the league , and without kg we were one of the worst on defense.
Idc how much talent Rondo and Green have they are not going to carry the offense , and certainly no one on the team can carry the defense. Plus who is going to close games ? We are a bottom feeder next year.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 08:48:22 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Green isn't going to carry the team to many wins.

We'll see how effective Rondo is at carrying a team in the regular season.  He's never done it before with any consistency.

We haven't been *that* bad the past few years...

Just out of curiosity, is how well a team performs when you surround a top player with a weak cast the typical way that you judge how well a player's able to carry a team? If the team performs poorly this year we'll see tons of posts claiming that it's proof Rondo can't carry a team, and about 99% of the people who say that would quickly defend the lack of success that some other star players have by pointing to weak supporting casts.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 09:04:27 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Yes, we cannot tank with Rondo and Green together on the team, but that doesn't we have to trade him. Rondo is coming back from an ACL injury. Either have him wait the season out, or bring him back in Dec. - January.

Have Green and Bradley develop during that time. While I love to draft a future superstar, I rather not do it in the expense of Rondo. You still need to build around stars!

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 09:12:17 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Yeah, we don't have to trade rondo to tank. The way the roster is currently constructed, we're probably good for 5th worst record in the league. Rondo is a good player, but he's not about to will a very unbalanced roster to the playoffs. We have all the glue guys a lot of teams would love to have. Unfortunately, we don't have much to glue together.
- LilRip