Author Topic: Oladipo knee injury  (Read 4977 times)

Re: Oladipo knee injury
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 08:40:30 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I think Pacers are one of the best run organizations in the league, basically the Spurs without Duncan, but man they've had some bad luck over the last 15 years.

A string of ECF appearances in the 90's (only team past '90 to take Jordan to 7 games), they completely rebuilt their Finals team from 2000 and turned into a 61-win contender by 2004 with almost an all new cast.  Only to implode and be dismantled due to the Malice at the Palace.

Never tanked.  Rebuilt again.  Matched up well with LeBron's Heat, only to lose in 6 games in '12.

Lost their best player Danny Granger to knee injurie in '13, but still make it to the ECF and take LeBron's Heat to 7 games.  Think if they had a healthy Granger!

Even though they lost Granger, they were immediately able to replace him with Paul George, after going to the ECF again in '14, losing to LeBron (for the 3rd straight year) in 6.

Then they lose George for practically the whole year with a broken leg.

Then their best player George demands to be traded.  So they rebuild again without tanking.  Found a new best player in Oladipo.  And again take LeBron to 7 games in '18.  (Argh, outside of the C's, nobody deserved to beat LeBron more).

Looking like a team with a chance to make the Finals, and again they lose their best player to a a leg injury.

It's been a tough 15 years (starting with the Malice) for a team I think of as one of the best run in the league.

I loved the Pacers under Donnie Walsh. He was a brilliant GM. Pacers as well run as anyone in the league under his watch.

More lukewarm about the Pacers during the Larry Bird years. Paul George pick was great but most of the rest was ho-hum.

Kevin Pritchard is a talent though. Big fan of him during his time in Portland.

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Wow really depressing..i pick Indy be 3rd in East before season started but with him out may drop to 6th or 5th
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 09:54:57 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Tough break for Oladipo. He deserved better. Hated watching him slice through our defense or hit tough shots, but you have to respect his game.

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 10:46:55 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Wish him a speedy recovery . He is one of the good guys in the NBA

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 11:01:01 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
That sucks an incredible amount for Indiana.  They are 32-15 right now and were playing the best they've played since they made the ECF.

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 11:10:14 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This was a tweet from early December from a Pacers beat writer:

Corey Elliot
‏@CoreyElliot

Sent to me today from someone I consider to be trustworthy as far as sources go:

“He (Oladipo) needs months to recover without ruining his knee cap forever ... slow stretching, gradual rebuilding. If he wants to (come back 100%) he’ll sit out the rest of the season.”
#Pacers

5:38 PM - 4 Dec 2018

Hindsight is always 20/20, but you have to wonder why they didn't manage it better with strategic rest and limiting his minutes. Makes me grateful our staff has been extra cautious with Al.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Corey Elliot
‏@CoreyElliot

Sent to me today from someone I consider to be trustworthy as far as sources go:

“He (Oladipo) needs months to recover without ruining his knee cap forever ... slow stretching, gradual rebuilding. If he wants to (come back 100%) he’ll sit out the rest of the season.”
#Pacers

Hindsight is always 20/20, but you have to wonder why they didn't manage it better with strategic rest and limiting his minutes. Makes me grateful our staff has been extra cautious with Al.

Yikes.

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 12:19:40 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Corey Elliot
‏@CoreyElliot

#Pacers

Wow, so they knew he had an issue?  Sheesh.

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2019, 12:39:59 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
He is their new Granger.. But still young enough to completely make a comeback.. Having said that, wasn't Granger only around 28 when he tried to comeback and failed?.

Hopefully he makes  a good recovery.. Can't imagine him having a career trajectory same as Brandon Roy.

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Corey Elliot
‏@CoreyElliot

#Pacers

Wow, so they knew he had an issue?  Sheesh.

He missed 11 games between November and December due to what was termed "knee soreness" but he returned to play with no restrictions. If it turns out he ruptured his patella tendon or (as I suspect) ruptured his quad, that's almost always proceeded by tendinitis and soreness.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 01:12:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
http://bleacherreport.com/post/nba/01c4b629-46fe-4730-be4c-71eac09a4910

Yep, ruptured quad tendon. Out for year. Too bad for him.

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2019, 02:08:39 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43

How effectively do guys usually recover from this injury?  Is there a likelihood that he'll ever get back to current level?

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2019, 02:21:15 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

How effectively do guys usually recover from this injury?  Is there a likelihood that he'll ever get back to current level?

Any surgery presents risks and complications but given his age and assuming the rest of the knee is structurally sound, he should be fine longterm. It also depends on how severe his tendinitis was prior to the rupture. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:29:56 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2019, 02:54:48 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Another star player got ran down to the ground by his team

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 04:37:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Another star player got ran down to the ground by his team

I don't know if they ran him into the ground, his minutes weren't outrageous. BUT quads are tricky and I'm surprised they didn't have him on a minutes restriction or a strategic rest plan. I'm sure he was getting treatment and physical therapy around the clock for it, but you have to rest it. Even with the crap he took last year, Kawhi was right to sit out as long as he needed to in order to get his quad back to 100%. Blake Griffin missed about 3 months a few seasons ago due to quad tendinitis.
2021 Houston Rockets