Author Topic: The idea of resigning Rozier and pencil him back as starter  (Read 11119 times)

Re: The idea of resigning Rozier and pencil him back as starter
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2019, 07:45:19 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
No thanks. He is a selfish average PG that thinks he is an All Star. Rather have GH run the offense.

« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2019, 08:15:49 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Bringing back Rozier is a worthwhile option at the right price if Irving leaves.  It doesn't mean we are married to him as the long term starting point guard.  Rozier also tends to play under more control as a starter anyways. 

The success of next years group, barring a fireworks trade, will ultimately come down to the core of Horford, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Smart.  For all his inconsistencies and limitations, Rozier can function just fine if those guys play to their potential.  Additionaly, Rozier would serve as an outgoing salary in potential trades for a Superstar.

At the end of the day I'm not losing sleep either way.  Just don't be surprised if Danny matches an offer in the $10-12 million range.   

« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2019, 08:32:59 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bringing back Rozier is a worthwhile option at the right price if Irving leaves.  It doesn't mean we are married to him as the long term starting point guard.  Rozier also tends to play under more control as a starter anyways. 

The success of next years group, barring a fireworks trade, will ultimately come down to the core of Horford, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Smart.  For all his inconsistencies and limitations, Rozier can function just fine if those guys play to their potential.  Additionaly, Rozier would serve as an outgoing salary in potential trades for a Superstar.

At the end of the day I'm not losing sleep either way.  Just don't be surprised if Danny matches an offer in the $10-12 million range.   

Agreed

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2019, 09:10:54 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Absolutely. I mean how much are we expecting teams to offer him?? I highly doubt anyone is going over $15m because there are many very good point guards out there already, particularly among teams with cap space.

I think the larger concern is he decides to take the QO so he can be assured of leaving Boston. I'm hoping Danny can talk him out of that (unless Kyrie re-signs)

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2019, 09:14:18 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Knicks are reportedly interested.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2019, 09:21:06 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Now that is a perfect fit.

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2019, 09:21:34 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Probably the most realistic scenario. Not sure what others are saying about not passing? He doesn't dominate the ball as much as Kyrie (not many do), the ball always moves better when he's on the court because of this.

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2019, 09:24:24 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

Absolutely. I mean how much are we expecting teams to offer him?? I highly doubt anyone is going over $15m because there are many very good point guards out there already, particularly among teams with cap space.

I think the larger concern is he decides to take the QO so he can be assured of leaving Boston. I'm hoping Danny can talk him out of that (unless Kyrie re-signs)

I think Rozier wanting out of Boston is entirely related to Kyrie.  You could also throw Hayward into the mix, but I think that's a secondary concern that wouldn't apply if Kyrie decides to leave. 

Despite his rant after the loss to Milwaukee, Rozier made it clear that Brad Stevens had nothing to do with his overall frustrations.  We have to remember that Boston is the only thing he knows as an NBA player, and that his situation continued to improve until this season.  Danny and Brad should have an easy time selling Rozier on a starting role, especially when he wont need to worry about financial security anymore.

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2019, 09:27:47 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

They can have him.

No thank you on him coming back. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2019, 09:41:04 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

Imaging Rozier signing for the Knicks and then they sign Kyrie  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2019, 09:41:22 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton

So Rozier is their backup plan if Kyrie re-signs with Boston or goes elsewhere.  If this happens I could see the Knicks offering way more than Ainge is willing to match. 

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2019, 10:21:13 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

They can have him.

No thank you on him coming back. 

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2019, 10:28:31 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Probably the most realistic scenario. Not sure what others are saying about not passing? He doesn't dominate the ball as much as Kyrie (not many do), the ball always moves better when he's on the court because of this.

Exactly

He doesnt kill the flow

Though at times he should pass instead of taking some quick shots

Tries hard on D and quickness, wingspan and fearless attitude is definitely a helping hand

When locked in Rozier and Smart makeup a very tough backcourt defensive pairing

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2019, 10:29:56 AM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I got that salary structure stuff means something in the Rozier situation.

I just don't understand this part of it.

How is Rozier worth $11M? (if that's the QO)

He really isn't a starting PG. He's a streaky combo guard.

I understand an $11M contract is very tradeable and assume that would be the principle reason he is re signed, thus, potentially getting value for him in the future.

Aren't there better choices?

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2019, 10:30:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So Rozier is their backup plan if Kyrie re-signs with Boston or goes elsewhere.  If this happens I could see the Knicks offering way more than Ainge is willing to match.
Or......the Knicks front office knows that they don't have any shot at Kyrie so they are looking at others for their PG slot.