Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 550199 times)

kraidstar, SparzWizard, sahara and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #4860 on: April 14, 2024, 04:54:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Looking like Kings-Warriors, Pelicans-Lakers play-in games. Denver is likely the 2 seed while OKC is 1 unless the Wolves comeback. So the Pelicans-Lakers might strategize if they want to avoid DEN first round  :P

Kings-Warriors should be electric even if for one game. A Suns-Wolves series would be fun too.

You guys are killing me today. lol

That's our specialty  ;)

I’m hoping you are joking that a team would lose a win and make the playoffs game intentionally to try and finagle a matchup?

I’ve got potter saying the 76ers have the easiest path they have had to ecf when they are in the playin and the longest odds they have had of the last 5 seasons.

Unclear what is going on in this thread today.

« Reply #4861 on: April 14, 2024, 04:57:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Looking like Kings-Warriors, Pelicans-Lakers play-in games. Denver is likely the 2 seed while OKC is 1 unless the Wolves comeback. So the Pelicans-Lakers might strategize if they want to avoid DEN first round  :P

Kings-Warriors should be electric even if for one game. A Suns-Wolves series would be fun too.

That's our specialty  ;)

I’m hoping you are joking that a team would lose a win and make the playoffs game intentionally to try and finagle a matchup?

I’ve got potter saying the 76ers have the easiest path they have had to ecf when they are in the playin and the longest odds they have had of the last 5 seasons.

Well your not wrong about the play-in being unpredictable. Upsets can happen.

The Lakers still have Lebron + AD, it's risky but I think for them they could see it as "we beat NOP but then lose to Denver in 4 or 5 anyways", or "take our chances with the 9-10 winner and then face a flawed OKC team". This stuff is talked about and strategized, there's no way that's not considered.

Do you actually think every single team that played today played to try and win?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #4862 on: April 14, 2024, 05:00:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

That's our specialty  ;)

The Lakers still have Lebron + AD, it's risky but I think for them they could see it as "we beat NOP but then lose to Denver in 4 or 5 anyways", or "take our chances with the 9-10 winner and then face a flawed OKC team". This stuff is talked about and strategized, there's no way that's not considered.

Do you actually think every single team that played today played to try and win?

Today obviously not. They didn’t Friday either. But a win and make the playoffs versus an AD tweaks his ankle or curry gets hot for one game and our season is over? No team has ever tanked a game under those circumstances and no team ever will. A coach and ownership group should be fired immediately (and they would) if they even suggest it. It’s just idiotic math. And if you mean someone on the lakers or pelicans is talking about intentionally losing a win and in playin game you are dead wrong.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 05:06:04 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #4863 on: April 14, 2024, 05:05:19 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Honestly, this may end up working out well for the Sixers.

If New York wins, I would think that Philly is favored in that series, even without HCA. Then, they're also likely favored against either Milwaukee or Indy in the second round.

They may actually have their best path to the ECF than they've ever had.

They will definitely be underdogs against bucks if Giannis plays with bucks having hca. (You could convince me they could be the better team but that is what the odds will be). They will also be decided underdogs if they play us without homecourt advantage. Love your enthusiasm potter but this definitely not their easiest path. May actually be one of their toughest if they play bucks and us without home court.

What other year do you think that they've had an easier path to the ECF than this one?

They certainly didn't in 2023 having to face us in the second round, and the same can be said about 2022 with having to face Miami in the second round, both of which I think are quite a bit better than NYK or Milwaukee/Indy this year.

2020 was the bubble and they didn't have Simmons and played us in the first round. 2019 they lost to the champion Raptors in the second round, so again not an easy path. 2018 they lost to us in the second round.

I guess in 2021 they had the easier playoff path with the Wizards and Hawks that they choked, and you could even say the play-in adds some complexity this year.

But I definitely think Philly is more primed to go to the ECF this year than they've been in the last six to seven years of being a borderline contender outside of 2021.

You are really glossing over the key part here. They are not even in the playoffs yet and you are saying it is their easiest path. You don’t realize why that is a bit ridiculous?

Also you are just completely dismissing home court advantage being worth anything (which odds makers consider worth about 2.5 points per game in playoffs). Last year the 76ers played a mikal bridges led nets in the first round. If they had somehow beaten the Celtics they would have played the heat. Saying that is a tougher road than having to win a game to make playoffs and then having three series without homecourt advantage is frankly preposterous

Being in the playin is awful and is why you see all these teams going crazy in the East and west to avoid it. You add in that Embid literally left their last game briefly with injury  was not effective when he returned and I feel like I am reading one of of tazz’ posts about the teams.

Tell us how you really feel, Clay.  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4864 on: April 14, 2024, 05:06:05 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

That's our specialty  ;)

Today obviously not. They didn’t Friday either. But a win and make the playoffs versus an AD tweaks his ankle or curry gets hot for one game and our season is over? No team has ever tanked a game under those circumstances and no team ever will. A coach and ownership group should be fired immediately (and they would) if they even suggest it. It’s just idiotic math. And if you mean someone on the lakers or pelicans is talking about intentionally losing a win in and playing game you are dead wrong.

I wasn't dead serious about NOP-LAL intentionally losing a play-in game, that's why I put the  :P symbol afterwards in the original post. Do I think they "consider it" though? Yeah I definitely do. Doesn't mean they commit to it, like you said it's essentially win or go-home regardless. The 7-8 bracket has a tiny bit of flexibility compared to 9-10 since 9-10 is literally a one-game elimination for the loser.

But it's all fine with me. If LAL gets the 7 seed, then right now their first round opponent is Denver unless multiple other scores around the league change in the next hour. Nuggets in 5 then

« Reply #4865 on: April 14, 2024, 05:08:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Honestly, this may end up working out well for the Sixers.

If New York wins, I would think that Philly is favored in that series, even without HCA. Then, they're also likely favored against either Milwaukee or Indy in the second round.

They may actually have their best path to the ECF than they've ever had.

They will definitely be underdogs against bucks if Giannis plays with bucks having hca. (You could convince me they could be the better team but that is what the odds will be). They will also be decided underdogs if they play us without homecourt advantage. Love your enthusiasm potter but this definitely not their easiest path. May actually be one of their toughest if they play bucks and us without home court.

What other year do you think that they've had an easier path to the ECF than this one?

They certainly didn't in 2023 having to face us in the second round, and the same can be said about 2022 with having to face Miami in the second round, both of which I think are quite a bit better than NYK or Milwaukee/Indy this year.

2020 was the bubble and they didn't have Simmons and played us in the first round. 2019 they lost to the champion Raptors in the second round, so again not an easy path. 2018 they lost to us in the second round.

I guess in 2021 they had the easier playoff path with the Wizards and Hawks that they choked, and you could even say the play-in adds some complexity this year.

But I definitely think Philly is more primed to go to the ECF this year than they've been in the last six to seven years of being a borderline contender outside of 2021.

You are really glossing over the key part here. They are not even in the playoffs yet and you are saying it is their easiest path. You don’t realize why that is a bit ridiculous?

Also you are just completely dismissing home court advantage being worth anything (which odds makers consider worth about 2.5 points per game in playoffs). Last year the 76ers played a mikal bridges led nets in the first round. If they had somehow beaten the Celtics they would have played the heat. Saying that is a tougher road than having to win a game to make playoffs and then having three series without homecourt advantage is frankly preposterous

Being in the playin is awful and is why you see all these teams going crazy in the East and west to avoid it. You add in that Embid literally left their last game briefly with injury  was not effective when he returned and I feel like I am reading one of of tazz’ posts about the teams.

Tell us how you really feel, Clay.  :laugh:

I’m just confused by the lack of pretty basic math all over this thread today. If someone says they think the bucks can beat the 76ers or vise versa I’m all for it. But calling a team not even in the playoffs yet facing three series on the roads as a dream scenario feels like I am being trolled.

« Reply #4866 on: April 14, 2024, 05:08:22 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 188
As great of a season as we have had, overall dominating the regular season, we more likely than not are stuck playing what is historically our toughest matchup in the first round. A Heat team that is slightly better than the one we lost to last season. Lovely!
There really is no more roll over automatic series anymore, don’t care how the regular season went the Heat are very talented and will be heavily motivated to live up to there reputation as Celtics killers

« Reply #4867 on: April 14, 2024, 05:11:50 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
The Play-In Tournament in the East is set for Wednesday night on @espn:

7 PM ET: Heat at Philly
9:30 PM ET: Atlanta at Chicago

Wait, they're doing each conference on a single night? Have they always done it like this? I thought they usually did the 7/8 game for both conferences first, and then the 9/10 game the following night with the final games on Friday night of that week?

Yeah, that's what they did last year.

I thought the same. Maybe it's because the West has later start times today? And due to arena scheduling and/or time zones? Idk

I found the answer. We're all correct. The reason for the change this year is because of scheduling conflict with the Flyers. They play at home Tuesday so the Sixers can't play there that night since they host the Heat, so it's Wednesday. Otherwise Heat-Sixers would have been Tuesday.

« Reply #4868 on: April 14, 2024, 05:16:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
As great of a season as we have had, overall dominating the regular season, we more likely than not are stuck playing what is historically our toughest matchup in the first round. A Heat team that is slightly better than the one we lost to last season. Lovely!
There really is no more roll over automatic series anymore, don’t care how the regular season went the Heat are very talented and will be heavily motivated to live up to there reputation as Celtics killers

The heat lost Strauss and Vincent and got rozier and butler is a year older and less effective but they are better this year? Also the 76ers are 4 point favorites against Miami. Nothing is locked

« Reply #4869 on: April 14, 2024, 05:20:38 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1846
Depending on who wins the Philly/Heat game who do we play?
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4870 on: April 14, 2024, 05:27:50 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 188

The heat lost Strauss and Vincent and got rozier and butler is a year older and less effective but they are better this year? Also the 76ers are 4 point favorites against Miami. Nothing is locked

Yes. They finished 2 games better than last season. Last season they were absolutely garbage in all metrics heading into the playoffs. No guarantee that they go on some magic run but they were slightly better this regular season then last.

« Reply #4871 on: April 14, 2024, 05:29:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Whoever loses the Philly/Heat game plays the winner of the Bulls/Hawks game.

That winner on Friday night is who we will play.

We won't officially find out until Friday.

« Reply #4872 on: April 14, 2024, 05:31:17 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 889
  • GOT IT!!!

Loser of that game vs winner of Bulls/Hawks. Miami could beat Philly and/or lose both games. They continue to play with fire pun intended.

« Reply #4873 on: April 14, 2024, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1846

Whoever loses the Philly/Heat game plays the winner of the Bulls/Hawks game.

That winner on Friday night is who we will play.

We won't officially find out until Friday.

Thanks
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #4874 on: April 14, 2024, 05:35:40 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2730

Yes. They finished 2 games better than last season. Last season they were absolutely garbage in all metrics heading into the playoffs. No guarantee that they go on some magic run but they were slightly better this regular season then last.

I have zero fear of the Heat. They are our ideal first round opponent this year imo. This is clearly a different Celtics team and I am sure they would love to eliminate all talk of the Heat as a legit playoff threat for good. I think we would sweep them.