Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 167325 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #495 on: May 08, 2023, 06:34:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't know what it is with DC films - I can't really put my finger on what exactly it is, but something about the way they film them makes the movies feel very unnatural and unrealistic to me, and I find it very hard to get immersed in them.

We are talking superhero  movies right?   I mean I love comics, read since mid 70s but realistic is something they are not.

I never read reviews as they detest this genre, why let someone else's opinion which is all a review is, affect weather you like a movie or not.

« Reply #496 on: May 08, 2023, 06:45:15 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't know what it is with DC films - I can't really put my finger on what exactly it is, but something about the way they film them makes the movies feel very unnatural and unrealistic to me, and I find it very hard to get immersed in them.

We are talking superhero  movies right?   I mean I love comics, read since mid 70s but realistic is something they are not.

I never read reviews as they detest this genre, why let someone else's opinion which is all a review is, affect weather you like a movie or not.

I know what he means about DC films, though.  The film style itself seems more washed out and detached than Marvel movies.  They're less personal, and a lot of that is the direction itself.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #497 on: May 08, 2023, 08:51:41 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
My son and I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and really liked it. I won't get into spoilers, but we were both pleasantly surprised with the opening logo and the characters included. One criticism I have, that is more of an MCU issue, is how they try to hammer a point so much for an emotional payoff, that it becomes obvious what it will ultimately lead to and the payoff doesn't hit home like it should.

« Reply #498 on: May 08, 2023, 11:21:01 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Saw GotG 3 over the weekend. It was by far the hardest Marvel movie to watch. Not that it was bad...but because of the Rocket storyline. Just really tough to watch.

Overall it was good. Better than the second one IMO.

« Reply #499 on: May 08, 2023, 11:25:41 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Being a big Snyder movie fan I’m bummed out . People got waay to angry at a character being depicted differently. It’s not Luke Skywalker that has one story. There’s a hundred different interpretations.
   I have no interest in the junk marvel keeps rolling out and I have even less excitement for James Gunn. That dude is acting like a child on social media instead of an executive. Highlighting what sone 12 year old nerd criticizes and shooting it down over Twitter. I think he talks for people when he shouldn’t.
   I noticed he got quiet when Affleck spoke up about absolutely not wanting to do what they are doing. But then he’s back to being an online jerk again.
   I think his Superman movie may be fine. It’s a pretty easy thing to make a formulaic superhero movie. Not hard to please mass audiences.

We had something different than the standard cookie cutter CBM. I've lost all interest in DC going forward. Hopefully one day history will show the blame for these snyder movies underperforming were the result of incompetent/greedy studio execs.

I know that sounds crazy when were talking about superhero movies, but when I watch the Marvel films a lot of them do manage to really immerse me into the world and into the characters - excessive CGI somtimes kills it a bit, but other then that I find most of them pretty good in that regard.

I think its something about the way the DC films handle the camera movements.  There is always a lot of fast moving, jerking around and its almost like thereis a lack of "weight" and "impact" to scenes.  Like the physics just doesn't add up right.  I really cant explain it but they just dont feel "believable". 

The Nolan Batman movies ands the "Glass" trilogy were kinda exceptions to that rule - they were much more grounded and felt much more real and believable. I felt like they were the best DC films i've seen over the past 2 decades.  Wonder Woman was quite enjoyable as well, though it did have a couple of those "that just looks super fake" moments that I referred to earlier, but it was mostly enjoyable.  Shazam wasn't bad as well, but same deal.

I think DC's best moments are when the screen isn't too busy. Look at Shazam 2. The fight scenes stunk. Just generic CGI clutter. Same with Justice League, Aquaman, Black Adam, Birds of Prey, and the Snyder films.

They try too hard to copy Marvel when they should be blazing their own trails. Let the characters breathe a little bit so that when the action does hit, it hits hard. Marvel is going through some fatigue with their formulaic approach.

DC would be wise to try a different tact. I think Gunn realizes this - Peacemaker and the Suicide Squad were crisp, unique, and good to look at.

« Reply #500 on: May 08, 2023, 11:33:03 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
I don't think it's a coincidence that Batman has had so much success in film. The vibe, aesthetics, etc fit the character. Same with the Donner Superman films. And Shazam, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad. Or the Doom Patrol, Watchmen, and Harley Quinn tv series.

When the director really gets the characters,  good things follow. They get into trouble when, for instance, they make Black Adam a toothless antihero with a heart of gold, or when they turn Green Lantern into a drab, earth-based soap opera with a whiny, unlikable Hal Jordan.

« Reply #501 on: May 09, 2023, 06:48:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most

I know what he means about DC films, though.  The film style itself seems more washed out and detached than Marvel movies.  They're less personal, and a lot of that is the direction itself.
[/quote]

Some of that is due to the natures of the superheroes themselves.   Superman has Godlike power levels.   Batman has serious mental issues.   Wonder woman is a  part of mythology.    Thor is played for jokes IMHO

« Reply #502 on: May 09, 2023, 09:33:56 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Being a big Snyder movie fan I’m bummed out . People got waay to angry at a character being depicted differently. It’s not Luke Skywalker that has one story. There’s a hundred different interpretations.
   I have no interest in the junk marvel keeps rolling out and I have even less excitement for James Gunn. That dude is acting like a child on social media instead of an executive. Highlighting what sone 12 year old nerd criticizes and shooting it down over Twitter. I think he talks for people when he shouldn’t.
   I noticed he got quiet when Affleck spoke up about absolutely not wanting to do what they are doing. But then he’s back to being an online jerk again.
   I think his Superman movie may be fine. It’s a pretty easy thing to make a formulaic superhero movie. Not hard to please mass audiences.

We had something different than the standard cookie cutter CBM. I've lost all interest in DC going forward. Hopefully one day history will show the blame for these snyder movies underperforming were the result of incompetent/greedy studio execs.

I know that sounds crazy when were talking about superhero movies, but when I watch the Marvel films a lot of them do manage to really immerse me into the world and into the characters - excessive CGI somtimes kills it a bit, but other then that I find most of them pretty good in that regard.

I think its something about the way the DC films handle the camera movements.  There is always a lot of fast moving, jerking around and its almost like thereis a lack of "weight" and "impact" to scenes.  Like the physics just doesn't add up right.  I really cant explain it but they just dont feel "believable". 

The Nolan Batman movies ands the "Glass" trilogy were kinda exceptions to that rule - they were much more grounded and felt much more real and believable. I felt like they were the best DC films i've seen over the past 2 decades.  Wonder Woman was quite enjoyable as well, though it did have a couple of those "that just looks super fake" moments that I referred to earlier, but it was mostly enjoyable.  Shazam wasn't bad as well, but same deal.

I think DC's best moments are when the screen isn't too busy. Look at Shazam 2. The fight scenes stunk. Just generic CGI clutter. Same with Justice League, Aquaman, Black Adam, Birds of Prey, and the Snyder films.

They try too hard to copy Marvel when they should be blazing their own trails. Let the characters breathe a little bit so that when the action does hit, it hits hard. Marvel is going through some fatigue with their formulaic approach.

DC would be wise to try a different tact. I think Gunn realizes this - Peacemaker and the Suicide Squad were crisp, unique, and good to look at.

The Snyder films tried their best to NOT copy marvel. Everything else tried like heck and MOSTLY failed.

« Reply #503 on: May 09, 2023, 09:39:46 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

Some of that is due to the natures of the superheroes themselves.   Superman has Godlike power levels.   Batman has serious mental issues.   Wonder woman is a  part of mythology.    Thor is played for jokes IMHO
[/quote]

I thought Snyder’s way of using the characters was not only much different but smart. They’re gods. They’re not like the marvel heroes , MOSTLY. So he treated that way and used the world more as a character in the first two films. How the world would react etc.
  DC shoukd have always just accepted you cannot make Marvel money . For 1 , Marvel was first and captured the normies. But also , Snyder’s depiction was NOT for kids at all. BVS UE has Superman impaling himself further to save the world. That’s not for really little kids. You’re not going to get the families coming together.
   They still would have got their beloved billion if they released the whole movie in theatres and not cut it short weeks early overseas but they there was such a power struggle with people like Geoff Johns and treating people horribly ( Josh Whedon) .

« Reply #504 on: June 16, 2023, 10:12:55 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The Flash was easily my most anticipated movie of the year, so my expectations were very high going in. To my delight, The Flash exceeded everything I could have hoped for. The movie delivered a great blend of action, suspense, comedy, and a truly heartbreaking moment. As for the comedic moments, they weren't just jokes, but mostly related to Ezra Miller's delivery. Speaking of Ezra, he was great in his dual role. The cameos were great too. I saw this in IMAX last night, and will be seeing it again tomorrow. To say this is one of DC's best movies is an injustice. It's one of the best comic book movies overall. I truly can not wait to see this again and again.

« Reply #505 on: June 16, 2023, 10:33:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Geoff Johns wrote Flashpoint, and he is one of the better modern writers in my opinion.   I think this movie is based off that story.   What Geoff did to Batman's dad in the comics was amazing stuff, trying to spoil.

« Reply #506 on: January 18, 2024, 03:21:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Echo was really, really bad.  It might be time to focus on telling good stories with good characters again, instead of focusing on identity politics and representation.

Vincent D'Onofrio was great as usual, but was wasted.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #507 on: January 18, 2024, 03:43:42 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Echo was really, really bad.  It might be time to focus on telling good stories with good characters again, instead of focusing on identity politics and representation.

There were parts that weren't so bad but I wished they focused more on the action. The actors outside of the main character weren't bad either. Although it would have been more of regular superhero movie, but the little cousin was underused as comedic relief. The worst part is that the main character, Echo, was an incredibly horrible actress. Her expression was completely the same for everything. If she is going to be mute, which I understand it's a real thing, they should have found an actress that can act out more with eyes and expressions. I also think she looks way too much like Rosa from Brooklyn 99.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #508 on: January 18, 2024, 04:15:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

There were parts that weren't so bad but I wished they focused more on the action. The actors outside of the main character weren't bad either. Although it would have been more of regular superhero movie, but the little cousin was underused as comedic relief. The worst part is that the main character, Echo, was an incredibly horrible actress. Her expression was completely the same for everything. If she is going to be mute, which I understand it's a real thing, they should have found an actress that can act out more with eyes and expressions. I also think she looks way too much like Rosa from Brooklyn 99.
well she is actually a deaf amputee and Native American. So they kept that part authentic
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #509 on: January 18, 2024, 04:54:59 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

well she is actually a deaf amputee and Native American. So they kept that part authentic

I agree and the Native American story part was interesting, although I didn't really understand her power. I thought that part was good, the first fight was cool, the bowling scene was pretty good and she did seem like a good fighter. I have no problem with that at all. It's just the acting itself was really bland. At the end, I didn't have any special connection with her character at all. Some other characters like the Black Widow's sister, the new arrow girl for example, they were good actress that brought something memorable to their role. Her was just meh.
Baby Jesus!