Author Topic: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread  (Read 167329 times)

Re: Superhero/Comics Movie Thread
« Reply #480 on: November 17, 2022, 04:38:20 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Anyone watched New Black Panther movie yet? How was it?
Felt it was better than the first movie. A good villain, a hero arc, and world building makes it a good watch. Namor was somewhere between Thanos and Killmonger solid performance. Half the cast were absolutely superb. Some say it's long but it had to tell a lot of stories. Only a few things story and acting wise bothered me but I'd overlook them due to the quality as a whole.

4 out of 5 movie.

What did you find lacking about the original?  The first Black Panther was easily one of my favorite Marvel movies.  As noted above, I thought there was a lot of good stuff in the sequel, but I didn’t think it worked well as a self-contained movie arc.
The original was too "Marvel formula" and villain was a replica power wise to the hero which I hate in superhero movies. Never felt there was ever jeopardy either in the first movie. The mini civil war was weak principal wise as it wasn't built up enough to believe. Killmonger was performed well and had a ideology that challenges the hero which is the best plus.

This sequel I didn't know who would fall or how things would end. You are right on self contained arc. This is a part in a series and includes a lot of things setup for future projects. It's one of the things that kind of hurts things. Yet we know Disney will make more content and wants people to buy into all their past content via +.

« Reply #481 on: November 17, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  Have t seen most Marvel but I had a good time with Wakanda Forever . I read bunch of the plot holes and I see it now but didn’t catch on my watch.
  I really liked the bad guy. Liked the effects at how he moved. It reminded me of the clash of the titans remake where Pegasus is moving through the city. Cool stuff.
  But what made me like this more than other Marvel films is just that it took itself serious. That’s just a personal taste for me . It’s not right or wrong. Just what I like.

« Reply #482 on: November 17, 2022, 09:38:16 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  Have t seen most Marvel but I had a good time with Wakanda Forever . I read bunch of the plot holes and I see it now but didn’t catch on my watch.
  I really liked the bad guy. Liked the effects at how he moved. It reminded me of the clash of the titans remake where Pegasus is moving through the city. Cool stuff.
  But what made me like this more than other Marvel films is just that it took itself serious. That’s just a personal taste for me . It’s not right or wrong. Just what I like.

Yeah, Namor is one of the better villains in recent movies. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #483 on: November 17, 2022, 11:52:32 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Yeah, Namor is one of the better villains in recent movies.

Namor was the only good thing about the movie. He reminded me of Black Adam, in that he wasn't really a villain and he wasn't a hero either. His motivation was to protect his people, while the people of Wakanda seemed more motivated by protecting the vibranium resource.

« Reply #484 on: January 20, 2023, 04:54:13 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
LOVE DC ANIMATION!!!

This DC movie is not for Kids....

Better than the movie...Very Violent..!

I'm here to talk about..

The animation is BOMB(nice)..

The story is AMAZING....

This is one of the best DC Anime.

*sippin*

« Reply #485 on: April 20, 2023, 10:06:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
According to a new rumor, Marvel Studios might have finally made one of the most important casting decisions of The Multiverse Saga. In a Patreon post, Marvel scooper Daniel Richtman claimed that Adam Driver (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) is in final talks to star in the MCU’s Fantastic Four reboot as Reed Richards, aka Mister Fantastic.

I hope this isn't true.  I truly don't understand how Driver keeps getting work.  I think he's wooden, creepy and can't act.  He was terrible as Kylo, and he'd be horrible as Mr. Fantastic.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #486 on: April 20, 2023, 10:18:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
According to a new rumor, Marvel Studios might have finally made one of the most important casting decisions of The Multiverse Saga. In a Patreon post, Marvel scooper Daniel Richtman claimed that Adam Driver (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) is in final talks to star in the MCU’s Fantastic Four reboot as Reed Richards, aka Mister Fantastic.

I hope this isn't true.  I truly don't understand how Driver keeps getting work.  I think he's wooden, creepy and can't act.  He was terrible as Kylo, and he'd be horrible as Mr. Fantastic.
have to agree that I don't see him as Reed Richards.  Thought John Krasinski would be taking on that role if Marvel got around to making another FF movie

« Reply #487 on: April 20, 2023, 10:32:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Driver as Reed Richards is not good..I just don’t see him playing well in that role
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #488 on: April 20, 2023, 02:18:04 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney

The marvel movies are so studio driven so every movie purposefully had the same “ formula” . I think Driver is really good even though I didn’t like the Star Wars films . I think he’s almost too good for these popcorn films but plenty of A listers have done it already. I cringe at thinking of him quipping through a movie.

« Reply #489 on: April 20, 2023, 02:20:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Driver doesn't seem like he'd be a good fit for Reed Richards, but a lot of that will depend on who the other 3 in the movie are.

I'm enjoying the final season of Titans.  2nd half of season has had a couple of episodes drop and I really like their Brother Blood and Mother Mayhem portrayals so far this season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #490 on: April 20, 2023, 02:23:20 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Being a big Snyder movie fan I’m bummed out . People got waay to angry at a character being depicted differently. It’s not Luke Skywalker that has one story. There’s a hundred different interpretations.
   I have no interest in the junk marvel keeps rolling out and I have even less excitement for James Gunn. That dude is acting like a child on social media instead of an executive. Highlighting what sone 12 year old nerd criticizes and shooting it down over Twitter. I think he talks for people when he shouldn’t.
   I noticed he got quiet when Affleck spoke up about absolutely not wanting to do what they are doing. But then he’s back to being an online jerk again.
   I think his Superman movie may be fine. It’s a pretty easy thing to make a formulaic superhero movie. Not hard to please mass audiences.

« Reply #491 on: April 20, 2023, 04:42:58 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 593
Being a big Snyder movie fan I’m bummed out . People got waay to angry at a character being depicted differently. It’s not Luke Skywalker that has one story. There’s a hundred different interpretations.
   I have no interest in the junk marvel keeps rolling out and I have even less excitement for James Gunn. That dude is acting like a child on social media instead of an executive. Highlighting what sone 12 year old nerd criticizes and shooting it down over Twitter. I think he talks for people when he shouldn’t.
   I noticed he got quiet when Affleck spoke up about absolutely not wanting to do what they are doing. But then he’s back to being an online jerk again.
   I think his Superman movie may be fine. It’s a pretty easy thing to make a formulaic superhero movie. Not hard to please mass audiences.

We had something different than the standard cookie cutter CBM. I've lost all interest in DC going forward. Hopefully one day history will show the blame for these snyder movies underperforming were the result of incompetent/greedy studio execs.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #492 on: May 07, 2023, 08:38:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Anybody else seen Guardians 3 yet?

I really enjoyed it.  It doesn't raise the bar for superhero movies, but it's a good mission with some emotional oomph to it. 

« Reply #493 on: May 08, 2023, 03:07:33 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Anybody else seen Guardians 3 yet?

I really enjoyed it.  It doesn't raise the bar for superhero movies, but it's a good mission with some emotional oomph to it.

I saw a bunch of negative floating around about it before watching the movie so I was preparing for the worst...but I also really liked it a lot. 

I'm sure it wasn't the most intelligent movie on the planet, and if you wanted to find things to criticise i'm sure there is plenty there...but at the end of the day i'm a pretty simple person.  My primary judge of a movie is how do I feel throughout the time i'm watching it, and how do I feel after I walk away from it.  Guardians 3 kept my attention drawn for its entire (almost 3 hour) runtime, it made me genuinely laugh out loud, it made me smile at other times, , it hit me in the feels at times, and in the end I walked away with a feeling extremely satisfied with the experience.  That's good enough for me!

« Reply #494 on: May 08, 2023, 03:17:50 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

We had something different than the standard cookie cutter CBM. I've lost all interest in DC going forward. Hopefully one day history will show the blame for these snyder movies underperforming were the result of incompetent/greedy studio execs.

I don't know what it is with DC films - I can't really put my finger on what exactly it is, but something about the way they film them makes the movies feel very unnatural and unrealistic to me, and I find it very hard to get immersed in them. 

I know that sounds crazy when were talking about superhero movies, but when I watch the Marvel films a lot of them do manage to really immerse me into the world and into the characters - excessive CGI somtimes kills it a bit, but other then that I find most of them pretty good in that regard.

I think its something about the way the DC films handle the camera movements.  There is always a lot of fast moving, jerking around and its almost like thereis a lack of "weight" and "impact" to scenes.  Like the physics just doesn't add up right.  I really cant explain it but they just dont feel "believable". 

The Nolan Batman movies ands the "Glass" trilogy were kinda exceptions to that rule - they were much more grounded and felt much more real and believable. I felt like they were the best DC films i've seen over the past 2 decades.  Wonder Woman was quite enjoyable as well, though it did have a couple of those "that just looks super fake" moments that I referred to earlier, but it was mostly enjoyable.  Shazam wasn't bad as well, but same deal.