Author Topic: Can Tatum play the 4?  (Read 2501 times)

Re: Can Tatum play the 4?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 02:41:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No, and horford isn`t good enough to cover the weaknesses of having tatum there.

Horford needs to be the PF.

Center, yet again, is a massive question mark.

I lean toward this viewpoint also. It means that one of Brown/Hayward needs to come off the bench. But also would make us a well-rounded squad if somehow the Center position can be filled adequately.

Yeah, it would be a lot easier to play Hayward, Tatum and Jaylen together if the Celtics had someone like Gobert at center instead of Al Horford. Someone (Gobert) who provided more of a shot-blocking deterrent around the basket and could gobble up rebounds.

Horford offers lots of things but he doesn't offer that. He needs more help in the paint. Whether it is a big body center like Baynes or a small PF like Millsap or Josh Smith. Someone to help shoulder some of the load.

Unfortunately none of Tatum, Hayward or Jaylen are capable of doing that.

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 03:09:27 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
No, and horford isn`t good enough to cover the weaknesses of having tatum there.

Horford needs to be the PF.

Center, yet again, is a massive question mark.

I lean toward this viewpoint also. It means that one of Brown/Hayward needs to come off the bench. But also would make us a well-rounded squad if somehow the Center position can be filled adequately.

Yeah, it would be a lot easier to play Hayward, Tatum and Jaylen together if the Celtics had someone like Gobert at center instead of Al Horford. Someone (Gobert) who provided more of a shot-blocking deterrent around the basket and could gobble up rebounds.

Horford offers lots of things but he doesn't offer that. He needs more help in the paint. Whether it is a big body center like Baynes or a small PF like Millsap or Josh Smith. Someone to help shoulder some of the load.

Unfortunately none of Tatum, Hayward or Jaylen are capable of doing that.

It would be great if Robert Williams has a year 2 breakout season, but he probably needs a lot more seasoning.

We could use the MLE on a big guy, but if Irving walks we may have a greater need to use it on a PG.  If we happen to re-sign Morris and/or Rozier maybe we could flip them later on if need be for other needs.  I don’t mind Morris, but I don’t think he works all that well next to Horford where we need a more traditional big.

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
We could probably get by against any # of teams who have a stiff as one of their big men, but against a legit PF, no, Tatum can't guard him. Hayward would have a much better chance at defending a big man.

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2019, 03:18:22 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Ok, Tatum is playing the four.

I am the opposing coach. Do I need to explain the point of attack?

Siakam - Gasol - Ibaka--- vs --- Horford - Tatum - Baynes

Giannis - Lopez - Illyasova ---vs--- above

Cousins - Green - Looney ---vs--- above

Just how does Tatum "complement" Horford?

The root problem with the "Tatum at the four question".

Horford isn't a starting center and he has an ice pack on his knee...probably, right now. (poor guy)

The above "suggested front court" isn't happening and it isn't Tatum's fault, he's not a four on this team right now.

Make some trades that help make Tatum a better player at the three for us, soon.

We all watched the various minutes of "small ball" the Celtics ran against the Bucks. How did that go?

People were blaming Stevens for getting destroyed by the Bucks front court, What do you suggest, getting Brad a ladder so he can block more shots?

Horford isn't "size"...he's "Horford". Baynes is hurt a lot and really doesn't offer an impact in the playoffs.

Tatum needs a front court on the floor with him.

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2019, 08:09:10 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Not right now and I don't know whether he'll be able in the future.
It's not something we should try.

Don't make things more difficult than they have to. Just play everybody at their own position, look for suitable combinations on the floor and see where we need improvement.

Assuming we'll have at least Smart, Brown, Tatum, Ojeleye, Hayward, Yabusele, Horford, Baynes and Williams back, options:

PG: Smart
SG; Brown, Smart
SF: Tatum, Hayward, Brown, Ojeleye
PF: Horford, Ojeleye, Yabusele
C: Baynes, Williams, Horford

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2019, 08:56:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
As others have said, it’s matchup dependent. Against the top East teams I wouldn’t try it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'd prefer him at the 3 and Brown at the 2.

So where does Smart and Hayward fit?

Can Smart be our pg and Hayward be our super 6th man?

If not...Danny has some trading to do.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 09:24:47 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
If Tatum can gain strength and muscle in the future, then yes.

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 10:33:12 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
no

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
He can’t and that’s why i maintain that we have a logjam at the wing. We have 3 guys who can only fill 2 slots for long stretches. In a pinch, I can see a small ball lineup featuring Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford but I don’t think that’s a sustainable solution.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind trading Brown for a starting quality big. I just don’t know how to make salaries work without giving up much else of our core (smart, Hayward, Tatum, Horford)
- LilRip

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 10:14:35 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
if he bulks up a bit, he can, at his current size, he will be bullied in the paint in which case i think he will be a liability on the defensive end

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 10:17:40 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Can he?  In a pinch, I guess.  Should he?  No.

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 10:21:31 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I don't see Tatum being able to be a starting 4 for a few years. At this time he lacks the physicality and the muscle. Frankly, he lacks the attitude too.

Folks often compare Tatum with Siakam, and while their bodies are both slender, Siakam is bold and aggressive. He's always turned on and seldom just going through the motions.

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
If the C's play Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Horford, one odd trait of that group is that Smart and Brown are better low post defenders than Hayward and Tatum.

I think its worth a try to play this group because they are all so versatile defensively. Tatum may struggle against bigger guys, but they should have problems with him too. The question becomes who is forced to adjust to who. I think it has a chance of working

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 10:35:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The league is different now, very few teams have traditional 4's anymore. Tatum could guard a lot of 4's because most 4's are perimeter players now.

That being said I'd expect Hayward to defend most of the 4's because he is stronger/heavier, but in a few years I expect Tatum to have the girth to defend 4's.

With the loss of Kyrie they will need Tatum, Brown and Hayward to be their best selves to have a good offense. All 3 will start so one of them will need to play the 4. It will probably be Hayward but I think Tatum could do it as well. In this lineup I expect them to switch most screens so it's unlikely that anyone will be matched up on a specific position for an entire defensive possession.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19