Author Topic: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams  (Read 43632 times)

Re: Ainge got his big at pick 27. Welcome Robert Williams
« Reply #270 on: June 22, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Welcome to Boston, Bob.  To be honest, the more blunders you make, the harder I will defend you.  If you prove to be cut from the same cloth as the greats that came before you - Nate, Delonte, Sheed, Ricky - you will have at least one fan for life. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #271 on: June 22, 2018, 04:30:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Welcome to Boston, Bob.  To be honest, the more blunders you make, the harder I will defend you.  If you prove to be cut from the same cloth as the greats that came before you - Nate, Delonte, Sheed, Ricky - you will have at least one fan for life.

You mean Robert

« Reply #272 on: June 22, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lets not make a big deal about the missed call

Matter of fact the Celts should have scheduled it for like 11-12 pm his time

Now if this becomes a pattern while he is here... room him with Smart . Thats what I would do  ;D

« Reply #273 on: June 22, 2018, 04:50:04 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
https://twitter.com/adamhimmelsbach/status/1010179244545265664?s=21

Himmelsbach says it was a miscommunication on both sides

Not a good sign when you’re barely 12 hours in and already need to do damage control.  His agent should have made sure he was available — unless he’s already gotten rid of his second agent since April.

This guy is GOLD ::).

Lol, you really don't like this pick.

I guess you could say that he's the ultimate...draft sleeper ;) ::) ;D *groan*.

« Reply #274 on: June 22, 2018, 05:15:46 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Melo, Faveratti, Sully, KO, Mickey... Have any bigs panned out since Perkins (also taken at 27 in the 1st round)?

KO was not a bust. Best big for Miami in the playoffs.

Exactly! He isn't giannis is what people hang onto! Also, Sully failed because of off court issues.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #275 on: June 22, 2018, 05:28:48 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Its pick 27. 

Wildly best case: He becomes a cornerstone defensive big in the mold of De'Andre, Cappella.

Worst Case:  Third big off the bench good for a couple dunks, a block and six fouls.

Most likely scenario: Decent bench rotation player, good for a solid 15 minutes a night.

If you expect anything different out of a 27 pick, I don't know what else to tell you.  He adds to the length of the team, and if can use that length and athleticism effectively for 15 to 20 minutes a night, this is a home run.  And if he never gets it, he doesn't cost much and he'll be trade filler or not re-signed at the end of his rookie deal.

Your worst case scenario is a lot closer to the median case scenario. The worst case is he's a Fab Melo-esque flameout who has the physical skills but not the mentality or work ethic to ever become a competent player.

Fab had NO skills other than height. He was essentially a poor man's Fred Munster.

« Reply #276 on: June 22, 2018, 05:37:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Its pick 27. 

Wildly best case: He becomes a cornerstone defensive big in the mold of De'Andre, Cappella.

Worst Case:  Third big off the bench good for a couple dunks, a block and six fouls.

Most likely scenario: Decent bench rotation player, good for a solid 15 minutes a night.

If you expect anything different out of a 27 pick, I don't know what else to tell you.  He adds to the length of the team, and if can use that length and athleticism effectively for 15 to 20 minutes a night, this is a home run.  And if he never gets it, he doesn't cost much and he'll be trade filler or not re-signed at the end of his rookie deal.

Your worst case scenario is a lot closer to the median case scenario. The worst case is he's a Fab Melo-esque flameout who has the physical skills but not the mentality or work ethic to ever become a competent player.

Fab had NO skills other than height. He was essentially a poor man's Fred Munster.

The Fab Melo comparison is about as lazy as Fab Melo was.

RIP though, I mean no disrespect, but can we stop comparing Melo to Williams? Maybe they have similar laziness/ineptitude for professionalism/work ethics, but Williams was gifted with 7'6 wingspan, defensive instincts, and the ability to grab a rebound mid air. He already runs the floor faster than Melo could ever dream of on the court.

Oh, to top it off the 40 inch vertical. Melo averaged 4.9 PPG and 3.8 RPG in his senior in Syracuse. Williams is already double that, not to mention Melo couldn't even sniff more than 7 RPG in D-League. That is just embarrassing.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #277 on: June 22, 2018, 05:47:02 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Its pick 27. 

RIP though, I mean no disrespect, but can we stop comparing Melo to Williams? Maybe they have similar laziness/ineptitude for professionalism/work ethics, but Williams was gifted with 7'6 wingspan, defensive instincts, and the ability to grab a rebound mid air. He already runs the floor faster than Melo could ever dream of on the court.

Oh, to top it off the 40 inch vertical. Melo averaged 4.9 PPG and 3.8 RPG in his senior in Syracuse. Williams is already double that, not to mention Melo couldn't even sniff more than 7 RPG in D-League. That is just embarrassing.

Honestly can't think of a worse comparison.I was a big Melo cheerleader too.I wanted the guy to succeed. It was just obvious the guy had zero feel for the game, was clumsy and uncoordinated as any player you'll find in the NBA and wasn't committed to getting better. Williams is an elite athlete who has some professionalism questions.

« Reply #278 on: June 22, 2018, 05:48:29 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Lets not make a big deal about the missed call

Matter of fact the Celts should have scheduled it for like 11-12 pm his time

Now if this becomes a pattern while he is here... room him with Smart . Thats what I would do  ;D

How about we room him with someone who doesn't punch things when upset (twice)? Apparently, RW already likes to throw tantrums when things don't go well. Maybe roomies with Tat or Brown.

I love the pick, I just need him to work on getting his pro mentality together! He was a no-brainer at 27 and I would have been happy with him if we took him in the lottery. Got a lot of growing up to do, thank God he's on our Celtics with so many outstanding examples on what a pro should be, we have great examples from young and vet guys!

I know everyone thinks being a lottery pick is where you want to go but give me good money and a team like Celts, spurs or GSW and I'd be jumping for joy! Phx had a really good draft IMO but no one can convince me that Jackson didn't see Tat's opportunity last season and think he called that situation wrong. Yes, Tatum had more of a chance to shine do to a huge injury but he was already a starter game 1, with a fully healthy team! A really good group of players who were a lock for the playoffs Day 1. Getting to play in the playoffs even in a reduced role, could do so much for players, especially when you take into account how hard it is for guys that young to even experience the playoffs.

Have a chip for not being picked earlier but be thankful you landed with one of the best organizations in sports than with Sactown!

It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #279 on: June 22, 2018, 08:11:53 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I just can't get over our good fortune that from #7 to #25 it was all guards and wings, not one team figured they needed a big, except for LA who took Wagner. What a stroke of luck, or a series of strokes. It's enough to make me want to run back everybody, don't lose anybody, just run back the same team. Smart, Rozier, Baynes. Get back Kyrie, Hayward, and Theis. Add this Williams kid. A full 48 minutes of flexible havoc. So pumped for next year. But first, summer league!
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #280 on: June 22, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I just can't get over our good fortune that from #7 to #25 it was all guards and wings, not one team figured they needed a big, except for LA who took Wagner. What a stroke of luck, or a series of strokes. It's enough to make me want to run back everybody, don't lose anybody, just run back the same team. Smart, Rozier, Baynes. Get back Kyrie, Hayward, and Theis. Add this Williams kid. A full 48 minutes of flexible havoc. So pumped for next year. But first, summer league!

This.

« Reply #281 on: June 22, 2018, 09:52:54 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Its pick 27. 

Honestly can't think of a worse comparison.I was a big Melo cheerleader too.I wanted the guy to succeed. It was just obvious the guy had zero feel for the game, was clumsy and uncoordinated as any player you'll find in the NBA and wasn't committed to getting better. Williams is an elite athlete who has some professionalism questions.
The comparison that people are making is that both were late picks.  There is a reason that Williams was picked 27.  The expectations people are putting on this guy are not realistic.  Without looking at the data, there is a bigger chance that he’s a flop than a serviceable player.   So excuse me for not getting terribly excited about him.

« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2018, 10:18:31 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The Celtics are loaded. The kid that dropped to them in the draft has all the skills that they don't have.

The only question right now is how much Lebron screws up the power balance.

« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2018, 10:20:16 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Its pick 27. 

The comparison that people are making is that both were late picks.  There is a reason that Williams was picked 27.  The expectations people are putting on this guy are not realistic.  Without looking at the data, there is a bigger chance that he’s a flop than a serviceable player.   So excuse me for not getting terribly excited about him.

I get your point. The honest side of me knows this possibility.

This is the difference between "hopeful" and "expecting," even though they are synonyms.

I'm hopeful that Williams can make good on his athleticism and talent in the perfect situation.

I'm expecting that a player of his athleticism is at least able to log a few minutes here and there over an 8 year career, at least part of which will be in Boston.

I'm hopeful that Williams can give us the athletic rim runner we've lacked.

I'm not expecting he will be anything more than Jordan Mickey.

I'm hopeful that Williams will develop his competitiveness in the Celtics culture, and get a chip on his shoulder from his draft position.

I'm not expecting he'll ever play a meaningful playoff minute.

I'm hopeful he can be part of the Brown-Tatum core moving forward.

I'm not expecting anything from him.

« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2018, 10:23:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Its pick 27. 

Capella was also a late pick and he's a much better comparison for Williams than Fab.