Author Topic: Tacko Fall(merged threads)  (Read 42712 times)

Re: Tacko Falls Upside
« Reply #120 on: June 30, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I was very dismissive when signed him.

But after watching more video, I think he could be useful as a defensive road block.

The two bigs we have the most problems with in the East are Embiid and Giannis.  Al did pretty well against them, but I think his effectiveness waned toward the end of his stay here.

Tacko is an immovable object.  Embiid and Giannis can't bully him with strength. They literally will bounce off of him.

Can Embiid step outside and take 3's? Sure. But you live with that. We always have.

Giannis is not a 3 point threat. Can he Euro-step around Tacko? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Tacko is so ridiculously long (8'2" wingspan?? C'mon!!), there will be a fair degree of success facing Giannis, especially when he tries to take it to the paint.

I'm intrigued now. Certainly will be curious to see how Brad intends to use him. Summer league will be our first hint of that.

« Reply #121 on: June 30, 2019, 12:24:52 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Depends on how he is used. Id have him in zone defense every time he is in there just protecting the rim so you need speed on the court along side him. You also have to feed him nonstop post ups. Though he can't shoot ft the goal would be to put the other team in foul trouble before Tacko tires and starts to get sloppy. Have to have shooters around him to limit doubles. You may have to go small and not have a PF along side him unless it's a PF with range and mobility.

Not saying it matters in this case but people do not recognize the importance of a player that can get the opposing team in foul trouble even when that player is not good at the foul line. Shaq got So many players easy points because the multiple fouls on him got the other teams in the penalty. There are two benefits from getting the other team in the penalty. Free throw shots for everybody that gets fouled and just as important the other team has to relax its defense making for easier shots for everybody on your team. Shaq gave all that to those Laker teams. He increased the production of players like Kobe, Fisher, Horry, etc.
Tacko is going to be the one getting in foul trouble.  He's not going to be going up against college kids. 

« Reply #122 on: June 30, 2019, 12:25:12 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don't mind giving him a spot but hoping he will be any kind of trouble to giannis is a dream. Best case scenario he is Marianovic. And he was unplayable in playoffs

« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I was very dismissive when signed him.

But after watching more video, I think he could be useful as a defensive road block.

The two bigs we have the most problems with in the East are Embiid and Giannis.  Al did pretty well against them, but I think his effectiveness waned toward the end of his stay here.

Tacko is an immovable object.  Embiid and Giannis can't bully him with strength. They literally will bounce off of him.

Can Embiid step outside and take 3's? Sure. But you live with that. We always have.

Giannis is not a 3 point threat. Can he Euro-step around Tacko? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Tacko is so ridiculously long (8'2" wingspan?? C'mon!!), there will be a fair degree of success facing Giannis, especially when he tries to take it to the paint.

I'm intrigued now. Certainly will be curious to see how Brad intends to use him. Summer league will be our first hint of that.
You're falling for fool's gold.  Giannis and Embiid would compete to see who could get Tacko to foul out the quickest. 

« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2019, 12:33:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
My idea would be, Tacko would ONLY play like the final 2 minutes of a close game, primarily on defense.

His role? Simply stand in front of the rim (with his height) and try to pluck the rebounds.

That's where we often struggle in a frustrating way, failing to grab key rebounds late in games.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2019, 12:37:27 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
My idea would be, Tacko would ONLY play like the final 2 minutes of a close game, primarily on defense.

His role? Simply stand in front of the rim (with his height) and try to pluck the rebounds.

That's where we often struggle in a frustrating way, failing to grab key rebounds late in games.

So we ll play 4 against 5 in Def?? Nice idea.... If you are tanking

« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2019, 01:08:37 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

so a guy that shoots 35% from free throws would Only play at the last 2 minutes of close games ?

« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2019, 01:33:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Depends on how he is used. Id have him in zone defense every time he is in there just protecting the rim so you need speed on the court along side him. You also have to feed him nonstop post ups. Though he can't shoot ft the goal would be to put the other team in foul trouble before Tacko tires and starts to get sloppy. Have to have shooters around him to limit doubles. You may have to go small and not have a PF along side him unless it's a PF with range and mobility.

Not saying it matters in this case but people do not recognize the importance of a player that can get the opposing team in foul trouble even when that player is not good at the foul line. Shaq got So many players easy points because the multiple fouls on him got the other teams in the penalty. There are two benefits from getting the other team in the penalty. Free throw shots for everybody that gets fouled and just as important the other team has to relax its defense making for easier shots for everybody on your team. Shaq gave all that to those Laker teams. He increased the production of players like Kobe, Fisher, Horry, etc.
Tacko is going to be the one getting in foul trouble.  He's not going to be going up against college kids.

Not in playoffs. They don't call most fouls then.

« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2019, 02:57:26 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Tacko is like any other big--he commits a lot of fouls. And they also are frequently bad foul shooters.

But this is a highly intelligent kid who can improve on his deficiencies in time.  Foul shooting is usually just a matter of practice, just like golf. I remember a golf pro saying that to me once. Every pro hits about a hundred balls a day to stay in sync.

It could be Tacko and/or Williams could be their key to protecting the paint--if they are used in their proper roles. That's the question for me, because Stevens teams all have that problem. They get beat up front in the paint.

« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2019, 03:23:58 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Not in playoffs. They don't call most fouls then.
That's for stars.  They wouldn't give Tacko any break. 

« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2019, 03:26:44 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Tacko is like any other big--he commits a lot of fouls. And they also are frequently bad foul shooters.

But this is a highly intelligent kid who can improve on his deficiencies in time.  Foul shooting is usually just a matter of practice, just like golf. I remember a golf pro saying that to me once. Every pro hits about a hundred balls a day to stay in sync.

It could be Tacko and/or Williams could be their key to protecting the paint--if they are used in their proper roles. That's the question for me, because Stevens teams all have that problem. They get beat up front in the paint.
Tacko Fall will turn 24 in December.  He's not a kid.  He's an old prospect with various serious deficiencies. 

« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2019, 04:56:17 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Which person on the forums made this gem of an analysis on YouTube that made me fall asleep a new believer in Tacko Fall's NBA greatness for the Celtics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re8OGBMPtqc

Ha, that was lovely. Scouts starting very early. Love it.

Unfortunately I have to disagree. Tack's upside is probably senior engineer at Dupont or maybe even C-level executive if everything goes his way. I don't think that even in Europe, without defensive 3 seconds, he's much upside as a basketball player. Too slow and uncoordinate.

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2019, 02:53:00 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
It is funny that in another thread Kanter is being torched for his defensive inabilities (with good reasons) especially in pick n roll  but Taco is going to run around the floor like cat...

« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2019, 03:35:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Upside

we fans stand to get some freebees if he can get on the court and do a little rebounding or blocked shots .  ;D

« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2019, 04:00:25 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It is funny that in another thread Kanter is being torched for his defensive inabilities (with good reasons) especially in pick n roll  but Taco is going to run around the floor like cat...

LOL! I've never even bothered to look at a pic of this kid never mind seen him play but I am highly entertained by reading these posts!! ;D