Author Topic: Where does Mike Conley jr end up?  (Read 8445 times)

Re: Where does Mike Conley jr end up?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
A Memphis paper, but a pretty detailed and reasonable look at what Conley's market might look like.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/5164/Grizzlies-The-Mike-Conley-trade-speculation-column-summer-edition

Looks like this columnist agrees that something along the lines of a late lottery / mid-1st round pick is going to be the primary return in a Conley trade, if one happens

The article actually pegs the Celtics as one of the more likely trade partners assuming Kyrie leaves.

Hayward + #14 + #22 would seem to work for both sides.  Might even get them to do it for just the contract and the #14.

I could maybe see even swap without the picks. No picks. Conley old and injury prone. I still wouldn’t do it. Wouldn’t get us over the hump.

It wouldn't, but I could see it being the difference between horford sticking around on a team friendly deal vs leaving to go to a contender.

I'm not opposed to a full youth movement if Kyrie leaves and no AD, but I could see the wisdom in a middle path where they resign horford, trade for Conley, and try to compete in the first couple rounds of the playoffs while the young guys grow up.
I don't think we should trade two first round draft picks alongside Hayward for Conley. I think Hayward, even if he doesn't get back to his prime Utah form, can improve to be a 15-5-5 guy who can do a bit of everything. That to me doesn't make trading him plus two draft picks for an aging veteran PG who's marginally better in a more stacked position.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2019, 10:18:06 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
A Memphis paper, but a pretty detailed and reasonable look at what Conley's market might look like.

https://dailymemphian.com/article/5164/Grizzlies-The-Mike-Conley-trade-speculation-column-summer-edition

Looks like this columnist agrees that something along the lines of a late lottery / mid-1st round pick is going to be the primary return in a Conley trade, if one happens

The article actually pegs the Celtics as one of the more likely trade partners assuming Kyrie leaves.

Hayward + #14 + #22 would seem to work for both sides.  Might even get them to do it for just the contract and the #14.

I could maybe see even swap without the picks. No picks. Conley old and injury prone. I still wouldn’t do it. Wouldn’t get us over the hump.

It wouldn't, but I could see it being the difference between horford sticking around on a team friendly deal vs leaving to go to a contender.

I'm not opposed to a full youth movement if Kyrie leaves and no AD, but I could see the wisdom in a middle path where they resign horford, trade for Conley, and try to compete in the first couple rounds of the playoffs while the young guys grow up.
I don't think we should trade two first round draft picks alongside Hayward for Conley. I think Hayward, even if he doesn't get back to his prime Utah form, can improve to be a 15-5-5 guy who can do a bit of everything. That to me doesn't make trading him plus two draft picks for an aging veteran PG who's marginally better in a more stacked position.
I don't see a deal for Conley making sense if moving Hayward.  the idea would be for Conley to replace Kyrie to add to Horford and Hayward with the possible idea of going for AD still.  Moving Hayward just gives us older Conley with possibly Al if he doesn't opt out to go elsewhere knowing a title here isn't happening and no AD since just adding AD while losing Tatum/Smart would get us no further in the playoffs.

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2019, 10:18:30 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
I am intrigued at the idea of acquiring conley if all falls apart on Kyrie/AD.

Would a 3 team trade with CLE be better?

BOS gets conley

CLE gets Hayward

MEM gets knight and JR Smith

Why?
CLE has a clarkson/sexton/hayward/love/thompson team which might put fans in the seats again and they have to be desperate to get any star players bc who wants to sign there?(i live in ohio lol) I know hayward isn't a star anymore but he could potentially get back there

MEM gets 2 expirings. Knight is young enough he could come back and be a decent PG for awhile while morant develops.

* Would MEM be satisfied with just getting expirings  back for Conley or would they demand a pick

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2019, 10:33:10 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like Hayward but I wouldn't have any hesitation trading him for Conley. He plays the same position as our two best young players.  If we're trading for Conley that implies a situation where the priorities of the franchise have shifted to developing Tatum and brown into the best versions of themselves.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2019, 10:34:03 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I am intrigued at the idea of acquiring conley if all falls apart on Kyrie/AD.

Would a 3 team trade with CLE be better?

BOS gets conley

CLE gets Hayward

MEM gets knight and JR Smith

Why?
CLE has a clarkson/sexton/hayward/love/thompson team which might put fans in the seats again and they have to be desperate to get any star players bc who wants to sign there?(i live in ohio lol) I know hayward isn't a star anymore but he could potentially get back there

MEM gets 2 expirings. Knight is young enough he could come back and be a decent PG for awhile while morant develops.

* Would MEM be satisfied with just getting expirings  back for Conley or would they demand a pick
My understanding is that Memphis thinks that they'd be able to get a weak lottery pick - mid first round pick for Conley
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2019, 10:36:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I like Hayward but I wouldn't have any hesitation trading him for Conley. He plays the same position as our two best young players.  If we're trading for Conley that implies a situation where the priorities of the franchise have shifted to developing Tatum and brown into the best versions of themselves.
I wouldn't have any hesitation if it's a straight up swap. Trading picks plus Hayward for Conley is not enticing though.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Conley is the perfect PG for this team. Beal is the only other person I'd want more and that's only due to age.

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2019, 11:28:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I wouldn't have any hesitation if it's a straight up swap. Trading picks plus Hayward for Conley is not enticing though.

I suppose I might have some hesitation about including two picks.  But just one of the three picks the Celts have this year?  Not at all.

This draft seems pretty weak, so I'm not sure there's that big a difference between the 14th pick and the 20th pick.  The Celts probably don't want to add three rookies (plus the #51 pick) to this team anyway.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2019, 11:56:17 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I suppose I might have some hesitation about including two picks.  But just one of the three picks the Celts have this year?  Not at all.

This draft seems pretty weak, so I'm not sure there's that big a difference between the 14th pick and the 20th pick.  The Celts probably don't want to add three rookies (plus the #51 pick) to this team anyway.

I'm pretty much here as well. If we arent getting AD and Kyrie is leaving I'd like an above average starting PG, I think that takes some pressure off the Jay's early on. It clears a log jam at the wing which puts everybody's roles into place. Theres also a pretty good chance Conley is just flat better than Hayward next season. It allows for a refresh on the team chemistry. I'd do it straight up, i'd do it if we had to include one extra first. Two extra firsts might be pushing it.

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm not sure what Conley would require financially, but I think he'd be a great addition to the Celtics.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2019, 12:59:04 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Conley might make some sense for us if no AD, KI, or Rozier.  It's just so scary to trade Hayward and possibly have him revert to Utah form. It's kind of a roll of the dice. I'm not as concerned as to how many of this year's picks, if any, it would take as this draft looks really weak.

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2019, 02:11:16 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I'd prefer a younger PG if I was trading picks and Hayward tbh, but one pick isn't too bad assuming Hayward doesn't bounce back to his Utah form.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2019, 07:10:23 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
A Mike Conley trade is more likely to happen after July 1 because more teams will have cap room to absorb part of his salary, Herrington writes in a separate story. The Grizzlies will be well stocked at point guard if they draft Ja Morant and keep free agent Delon Wright, so Herrington expects the club to focus on players who get drafted next month, along with future draft picks and young players with affordable contracts for the next few years. The Timberwolves, Heat, Pistons, Jazz and Pacers are considered the most likely landing spots for Conley, according to Herrington, but the Knicks, Lakers, Clippers and Celtics are candidates to enter the mix depending how free agency turns out

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2019, 07:18:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
A Mike Conley trade is more likely to happen after July 1 because more teams will have cap room to absorb part of his salary, Herrington writes in a separate story. The Grizzlies will be well stocked at point guard if they draft Ja Morant and keep free agent Delon Wright, so Herrington expects the club to focus on players who get drafted next month, along with future draft picks and young players with affordable contracts for the next few years. The Timberwolves, Heat, Pistons, Jazz and Pacers are considered the most likely landing spots for Conley, according to Herrington, but the Knicks, Lakers, Clippers and Celtics are candidates to enter the mix depending how free agency turns out

Their assessment of trade partners is nice, but their assessment of Conley's value is ridiculously high. There is no way that he is he worth expiring filler who are decent players plus a lottery pick lol, people forget that he's a good but not great PG on a two year max deal that he really isn't worth. Why would teams want to give up significant assets just to pay him a max for multiple seasons? Only way I see a deal happening is a team like the Celtics send a virtually identical deal  that involves a worse player (eg. Hayward) plus a mid-late first (#20 or #22), maybe plus a second if they're desperate.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:23:51 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2019, 04:02:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Their assessment of trade partners is nice, but their assessment of Conley's value is ridiculously high. There is no way that he is he worth expiring filler who are decent players plus a lottery pick lol, people forget that he's a good but not great PG on a two year max deal that he really isn't worth. Why would teams want to give up significant assets just to pay him a max for multiple seasons? Only way I see a deal happening is a team like the Celtics send a virtually identical deal  that involves a worse player (eg. Hayward) plus a mid-late first (#20 or #22), maybe plus a second if they're desperate.
I think the value he had was pretty spot on.  A pick in the teens, an expiring, and a contract with future money.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip