Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 240533 times)

Re: More Robert Williams please....
« Reply #1185 on: October 03, 2018, 09:49:44 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I guess the question is, who's minutes would he cut into?

Theis was pretty brutal last night IMO. It's really hard to have 2 players recovering from injuries between him and Hayward. Feels like we always have someone out there who is out of rhythym and playing tentatively.

Hayward seemed to be getting his legs under him in the 3rd quarter but I'm not sure if this team with it's championship aspirations will have time to wait for Theis to round back into form. Especially with Big Block Robert Williams looking like a real matchup problem for opposing front courts.

« Reply #1186 on: October 03, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think the thing I have liked the most is that he clearly understands his role in the Celtic offensive sets. When Stevens calls for a multiple screen, or multiple step set, Williams knows his part.

He doesn't get lost on offense. He is not a step slow on his actions or cuts. He seems to have a really good feel already for the sets Stevens runs. That's promising for a young athletic big. Normally it takes a year or two for them to run their part of the offense as efficiently as Williams is.

On defense, when he switches onto opposing guards, he has been pretty good, but when he is off-ball, I've seen him be out of position or a step slow.
TP for a good summary.

« Reply #1187 on: October 03, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Yup, loving this kid, called it on draft night, and how much crow is being eaten right now by all the people who called RW3 a bum, or even a drug addict.

So true. He just needs to learn to keep the ball in bounds when he blocks it.

« Reply #1188 on: October 03, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I guess the question is, who's minutes would he cut into?

Theis was pretty brutal last night IMO. It's really hard to have 2 players recovering from injuries between him and Hayward. Feels like we always have someone out there who is out of rhythym and playing tentatively.

Hayward seemed to be getting his legs under him in the 3rd quarter but I'm not sure if this team with it's championship aspirations will have time to wait for Theis to round back into form. Especially with Big Block Robert Williams looking like a real matchup problem for opposing front courts.

I think you answered the question pretty well. Peak Theis from last year was savvier than RWill, but Williams has so much more physical ability. If RWill continues to develop, well, it's a good thing for Theis that he's a free agent next year because he'd be bumped down in the rotation.

« Reply #1189 on: October 03, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
It's going to be interesting to see how they get Williams and Yabusele both minutes. They both seem good enough to get on the court. Maybe one will be in Maine while the other is in the rotation?

Especially if you have GH, JB, and JT all in the starting lineup. You have bigs coming off the bench in Theis, Baynes, and Morris already plus Smart and Rozier are going to get huge minutes of the bench at guard.
You would really have to cut down on everyone's minutes to play 11 players in a game consistently:

Irving 29
Brown 27
Tatum 27
Horford 27
Hayward 27
Smart 21
Rozier 21
Morris 18
Baynes 18
Theis 15
Yabu or Williams 10

This also puts Ojeleye on the bench.

« Reply #1190 on: October 03, 2018, 01:28:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Yup, loving this kid, called it on draft night, and how much crow is being eaten right now by all the people who called RW3 a bum, or even a drug addict.

So true. He just needs to learn to keep the ball in bounds when he blocks it.
well, that and not foul so much. 3 fouls in 9 minutes means he won't be on the floor much. but i am sure he will get better at all aspects of his game with time.

he is still very raw. by playoff time i expect we will see a much improved williams.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1191 on: October 03, 2018, 02:18:10 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I think Brad will shake out the minutes very well. Barring injuries Williams should get 5-10 minutes a game.... I like what Williams brings. He gives the Celtics a very different look. I think Williams would also play better with better players. Most role players do.

« Reply #1192 on: October 03, 2018, 04:22:55 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I think Brad will shake out the minutes very well. Barring injuries Williams should get 5-10 minutes a game.... I like what Williams brings. He gives the Celtics a very different look. I think Williams would also play better with better players. Most role players do.

The blocks and the dunks are pretty amazing. Last night he got beat by a guard and recovered to block the shot. That is hard to do.

« Reply #1193 on: October 03, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

The blocks and the dunks are pretty amazing. Last night he got beat by a guard and recovered to block the shot. That is hard to do.

His feet, arms and athletic ability are elite.

« Reply #1194 on: October 03, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
While seeing him in such a short amount of pt has been titillating with his passing and defense, I'll need to see him in a few games that actually count, see how he does under more pressure.

But I really do like what I see.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #1195 on: October 04, 2018, 02:23:38 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
double post
A bit unfair to compare him to one post, let alone two posts.

« Reply #1196 on: October 04, 2018, 06:43:40 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
double post
A bit unfair to compare him to one post, let alone two posts.
Hey I'd like to see one post move first.

« Reply #1197 on: October 04, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If you watch around the 1:50 mark of the last game, he blocked a shot with his elbow.

I think he is very raw, he has the natural ability and athletic ability to be special, but he is raw and has been coasting on that ability.

« Reply #1198 on: October 04, 2018, 06:59:54 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
If you watch around the 1:50 mark of the last game, he blocked a shot with his elbow.

I think he is very raw, he has the natural ability and athletic ability to be special, but he is raw and has been coasting working his tail off but is getting minutes based on that ability.
There, fixed it for you.

« Reply #1199 on: October 04, 2018, 07:08:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think he is very raw, he has the natural ability and athletic ability to be special, but he is raw and has been coasting working his tail off but is getting minutes based on that ability.
There, fixed it for you.
Yeah, I have not seen him as someone who has been coasting at all. Not one bit.

He is one of the rare rookie big men I can remember who willingly set multiple picks on an offensive set, all the while ensuring that the picks actually hit. Not only this, but his picks seem to stick defenders in a manner similar to KG's (his legal ones, of course ;D). He also hustled really hard on the offensive glass a couple of times against Cleveland, and in my eye did better than Zizic.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)