Poll

Brown for Bamba straight up. Who says no?

Boston
34 (60.7%)
Orlando
4 (7.1%)
both teams say no
11 (19.6%)
seems like a fair trade
7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: Trade idea: Brown for Bamba  (Read 11103 times)

Trade idea: Brown for Bamba
« on: January 02, 2019, 06:09:31 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

According to rumors, Danny was high on Bamba prior to the draft.

Quote from: NBC Sports Boston
He (=Bamba) is likely to go in the third-to-sixth range, so Boston, with the 27th pick, would have to trade up to get him – with speculation centering on Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier being among the players who could be moved.
Quote from:  Sean Deveney
Boston has expressed interest in Bamba, including interviewing him at the Chicago pre-draft combine two weeks ago. (...) It’s almost certain that the Celtics would not move rookie forward Jayson Tatum (...). Less certain, though, is what Boston might do with point guard Terry Rozier or swingman Jaylen Brown.

On second thought, we could even expand the trade to include Rozier + Isaac (although we would then be in need of at least one guard).

Let's say Brown + Rozier for Bamba + Isaac

So what do you guys say? Would you consider a trade around Brown + Bamba?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:18:53 PM by Jvalin »

Re: Trade idea: Brown for Bamba
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
super interesting idea, to be honest.  Kevin O'Connor basically suggested exactly that before the draft and this was when Brown fever was at it's peak.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

According to rumors, Danny was high on Bamba prior to the draft.

Quote from: NBC Sports Boston
He (=Bamba) is likely to go in the third-to-sixth range, so Boston, with the 27th pick, would have to trade up to get him – with speculation centering on Jaylen Brown and Terry Rozier being among the players who could be moved.
Quote from:  Sean Deveney
Boston has expressed interest in Bamba, including interviewing him at the Chicago pre-draft combine two weeks ago. (...) It’s almost certain that the Celtics would not move rookie forward Jayson Tatum (...). Less certain, though, is what Boston might do with point guard Terry Rozier or swingman Jaylen Brown.

On second thought, we could even expand the trade to include Rozier + Isaac (although we would then be in need of at least one guard).

Let's say Brown + Rozier for Bamba + Isaac

So what do you guys say? Would you consider a trade around Brown + Bamba?

But we already have Williams. With Bamba doesn't it become a little redundant, since both guys can't be relied on as starters right now?

I really like Isaac, so that's an interesting piece for me. But the trade has more of a rebuilding context than a step up for contention.

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 06:59:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rather Trust in Ainge and Williams.  Timelord h is way more athletic.  Heights and wingspan compared plus vertical and standing reach,  Surprise they get up the same distance.

7'3/4"" Bamba in shoes,  7'10" wingspan.  37" max vertical   9'7 ½"standing reach = 152"
6"10"  Tinelord in shoes   7"5"  wingspan   40" max vertical   9'4" standing reach  + 152"

Williams is closer to than NBA body than Bamba.   They both have some skill deficits.

I don't see how any Celtic's fan says "yes" with that in mind.  We got a rim protector in the making and we would keep Brown.   With this in mind it is a bad trade.

These are Bamba stats, from the combine, the vertical I got his max reach of 12'6" and subtracted his standing reach.   I found some data on Timelord but he skipped the combine.  Williams has a 40" inch vertical and this was his standing reach last year.  Williams is 21, Bamba is 20 so he may grow some more.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 07:03:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No thanks. Williams has looked too good for this move to not be redundant, and Bamba can’t provide anything immediately
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 07:09:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Rather Trust in Ainge and Williams.  Timelord h is way more athletic.  Heights and wingspan compared plus vertical and standing reach,  Surprise they get up the same distance.

7'3/4"" Bamba in shoes,  7'10" wingspan.  37" max vertical   9'7 ½"standing reach = 152"
6"10"  Tinelord in shoes   7"5"  wingspan   40" max vertical   9'4" standing reach  + 152"

Williams is closer to than NBA body than Bamba.   They both have some skill deficits.

I don't see how any Celtic's fan says "yes" with that in mind.  We got a rim protector in the making and we would keep Brown.   With this in mind it is a bad trade.

These are Bamba stats, from the combine, the vertical I got his max reach of 12'6" and subtracted his standing reach.   I found some data on Timelord but he skipped the combine.  Williams has a 40" inch vertical and this was his standing reach last year.  Williams is 21, Bamba is 20 so he may grow some more.

I wouldn't do that trade, but I'm sure what's the actual point in posting combine numbers. Gobert didn't post great combine numbers, but he's probably the best, if not the most impactful, defender in the league. Bamba can have a similar impact in time, but with a 3pt shot to match.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 07:27:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
In the modern NBA, don't trade wing potential for defensive big potential.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 07:29:48 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Brown for Bamba I voted no, think Brown will turn things around in the next few months...

Isaac playing with Time Lord would be ridiculous though, hope it happens someday.

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 08:06:31 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Boston says no, for sure.

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 12:59:45 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

the "modern" nba is starting to revert because unless you have generational talent, the best way to beat a small ball lineup is to punish it offensively. Big bodies and pound the paint.

So I firmly believe that bigman value is on the rise again.

Also, Bamba has more potential than just defensive big man, he has offensive/defensive potential at the 5

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 01:13:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

the "modern" nba is starting to revert because unless you have generational talent, the best way to beat a small ball lineup is to punish it offensively. Big bodies and pound the paint.

Also, Bamba has more potential than just defensive big man, he has offensive/defensive potential at the 5
Not sure playoff results agree with your idea that the game is going to go back big. Not sure current regular season results bear it out either. Most of the best big men in the league just do not play on contending teams. And those that do, haven't had any playoff success.

The best lineups in the league have their best players at guard and wing. Most of those best lineups are small ball lineups.

Sorry, I disagree with you and agree with Pho. It's better to have good wings than good big guys. Especially big guys with very limited range or inability to defensively switch onto smaller players.

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 01:15:42 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
But we already have Williams. With Bamba doesn't it become a little redundant, since both guys can't be relied on as starters right now?

I really like Isaac, so that's an interesting piece for me. But the trade has more of a rebuilding context than a step up for contention.
It seems like the consensus on this board is that we need more size in the paint. I mean, Aldridge vs. Theis was brutal to watch. We had no one to stop him. Obviously, Baynes and Williams were unavailable. Thing is, for whatever reason, CBS doesn't seem to rate Williams. Bamba has a higher upside than Williams. He has even started shooting the 3.

I guess if we were to trade Brown for Bamba, Williams would be the next in line. We could flip him for a shooting guard to replace Brown.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 01:27:47 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 01:22:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It seems like the consensus on this board is that we need more size in the paint. I mean, Aldridge vs. Theis was brutal to watch. We had no one to stop him. Obviously, Baynes and Williams were unavailable. Thing is, for whatever reason, CBS doesn't seem to rate Williams. Bamba has a higher upside than Williams. He has even started shooting the 3.

I guess if we were to trade Brown for Bamba, Williams would be the next in line. We could flip him for a shooting guard to replace Brown.

Where did you find the 7'3/4"" in shoes number? Here are the official combine numbers:

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?sort=HEIGHT_W_SHOES&dir=1&SeasonYear=2018-19

Height W/ Shoes:7' 0.75''
Height W/O Shoes: 6' 11.25''
Ummmmm

7' 3/4"  = 7' 0.75".

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 01:27:06 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Where did you find the 7'3/4"" in shoes number? Here are the official combine numbers:

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?sort=HEIGHT_W_SHOES&dir=1&SeasonYear=2018-19

Height W/ Shoes:7' 0.75''
Height W/O Shoes: 6' 11.25''
Ummmmm

7' 3/4"  = 7' 0.75".
Lol, I read it as 7'3¾''. Sorry guys. :-[ I come from Europe. I'm used to measuring height in meters not in feet.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:54:34 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 01:33:49 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Not sure playoff results agree with your idea that the game is going to go back big. Not sure current regular season results bear it out either. Most of the best big men in the league just do not play on contending teams. And those that do, haven't had any playoff success.

The best lineups in the league have their best players at guard and wing. Most of those best lineups are small ball lineups.

Sorry, I disagree with you and agree with Pho. It's better to have good wings than good big guys. Especially big guys with very limited range or inability to defensively switch onto smaller players.

LASt playoffs Embiid, Davis, Aldridge, Jokic, Nurkic and Horford all did the most damage closer to the basket than further away from it.

Thunder, Rockets, Blazers, Clippers, Spurs, Pistons, Hornets and heat are all Playoff teams right now with centers that are more traditional.

Then you have Embiid , Horford and Jokic.

Horf is the best shooter of the group, but that shooting bump is not preventing the other players from having a tremendous impact on the center position and the game for their own teams.