Author Topic: Stevens’ 4th Quarter Strategy - The Reason For Collapse  (Read 1002 times)

Stevens’ 4th Quarter Strategy - The Reason For Collapse
« on: February 24, 2021, 06:45:41 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The reason for this team’s 4th quarter collapses can be attributed to Coach Stevens’ flawed strategy (dating back to Butler).

Stevens’ defensive scheme, generally, involves constant switching of the on-ball defender when picks are set. His offensive set, generally, involves 2 players standing in opposite 3 corners for optimal spacing.

Opposing teams are exploiting his strategy by resting their best player(s)/closer(s) on one of the static shooters in the corner and, on the other end, the relatively fresh star player can reek havoc on the offensive end.

Meanwhile, Tatum/Brown/Kemba are burning the candle at both ends, in his switch-heavy, high-energy exertion defense; then running an offense where they have to take one of their other players, usually a good/decent defender, off the dribble and finish the play because passing lanes to the corner shooters are cutoff.

The opposing star player get to rest on defense and go to work on offense, while ours have to work their tails off on defense and offense.

For reference, watch the highlights of the recent 4th quarters against the Mavs and Hawks losses and count the times Doncic and Young are involved in an action or guarding the ball... they’re basically resting on a static corner shooter hedging toward the paint all 4th quarter. It should be no surprise when an opposing team’s star is draining 25-40 footers while our star players are putting up bricks in this “your turn-my turn” isolation offense.

Re: Stevens’ 4th Quarter Strategy - The Reason For Collapse
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 07:07:32 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
The reason why star players seemingly take a step back defensively when their offensive responsibilities increase is because you can’t burn the candles at both ends.

Brad either has to change the offense so their’s no place for the opponent to rest or change the defense to “rest” our designated closer(s).

How about specifically targeting the opposing team’s star player by making their man screen for the ball handler instead of sitting in the corner? Whether they are a good defender or not, having to check one of Tatum/Brown/Kemba will fatigue them so they aren’t able to do whatever they want on offense.

Btw, I’m not on the fire Brad train, yet. He’s an excellent coach, has too many pros to fire him this soon, and he might be able to solve it, but his teams have suffered from these late game collapses and he has to adjust it for this team to reach the next level.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »

Offline 0003323344

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
He's a college coach and always will be. He got his college teams to the finals and 3 Celtics teams to the ECF but he doesn't know how to get his players to the next level. If I was Stevens I'd be updating my resume. Ainge can't let this happen yet another season can he?

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 10:09:38 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
Don't bother complaining about stevens you're convincing no one that he should be fired.

Wyc, danny, fans, etc. are convinced he's the golden boy. We will likely trade tatum or brown or both before we even consider dumping this guy.

May as well just be a lakers fan it's easier.