Author Topic: Tatum Brilliant Move  (Read 4036 times)

Re: Tatum Brilliant Move
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'm glad he said it because I don't see anyone else volunteering to take the seat.

Hayward is too established, Jaylen wants to be a star and this 3 wing lineup might not work as well without Morris' size.

That's interesting because our 3 wing lineup with Smart, Brown, and Tatum has worked just fine.  Better than than the Morris lineup, actually.

What's really the difference between Hayward and Morris anyway?  Less than 1 inch and 10 pounds?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 08:52:45 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I will say this again...what is the big deal about coming off the bench...BB is a game of rotations  it is not soccer or baseball. It shouldn't matter who starts or homesok of the bench....

They announce the names of the starters with lights and loud noises. Starters, on average, make more money than guys that come off the bench. Tell competitive guys like MJ or Kobe that they're going to be coming off the bench.... I'm guessing you won't get a gracious response.

I think it's a big move on his part. I also think that it was great that Smart vocalized the same sentiment last year. While we now know that Smart is a backup on this team, we weren't sure at the time.

Announce the sixth man with the starters, announce every player, or skip announcement altogether. Problem solved. Kobe and MJ would only squawk because starters are given an elevated recognition. If a team values its players from 1-12 regardless of starter status but based on actual contribution to the team, then players would not feel slighted because they do not start.

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 10:49:11 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I think he meant it. First of all, I believe the main starting lineup will be Horford, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Irving. But against certain matchups, Baynes or maybe even Smart/Rozier will be inserted in.

Its important that Tatum or maybe Brown know it isnt a demotion, and that Brad just changes lineups against certain teams not because he doesnt trust them or they're not good enough, but for the team to win. Its not like they will come off the bench every game, just against certain matchups. Kinda how Pop uses Manu off the bench as a change of pace.

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 03:50:28 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
So if Jaylen gets asked if he's fine coming off the bench does he have to say sure?  What about Hayward?  Its the politically correct move to say YES but I almost wish he exhibited some star attitude and said .   
Yeah that's the problem i have with Brown's attitude, i am afraid he is very likely to say some "non-answer version of NO", but in my mind you need to set your coach up as the absolute commander/top in order to run the best team ball, you can't let your ego get in the way and everybody needs to sacrifice, Tatum did exactly the right answer(doesn't matter if he thinks he will start or he really feels no different, it's the attitude you show up which will help set the team together)

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 07:17:24 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I'm glad Tatum was mature in his answer to this, but in the end I don't think it means much other than that he is wise beyond his years, something we already knew. I think he would be okay coming off the bench if Brad wanted him too, but I don't think that's likely. The best unit to start is clearly Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Horford, something Brad had determined to start last season. Unless Hayward's recovery isn't far enough along yet, I expect that will be the lineup this upcoming season as well and I'm a bit surprised that anyone would think otherwise. Not that people can't suggest other lineups and give their reasons, but I don't regard any other starting lineup as likely at this point.

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2018, 08:26:26 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
I'm glad Tatum was mature in his answer to this, but in the end I don't think it means much other than that he is wise beyond his years, something we already knew. I think he would be okay coming off the bench if Brad wanted him too, but I don't think that's likely. The best unit to start is clearly Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Horford, something Brad had determined to start last season. Unless Hayward's recovery isn't far enough along yet, I expect that will be the lineup this upcoming season as well and I'm a bit surprised that anyone would think otherwise. Not that people can't suggest other lineups and give their reasons, but I don't regard any other starting lineup as likely at this point.
The 1st game is against Philly and Embiid.  The Celtics retained Baynes to eat minutes against big starting centers in order to keep the mileage down on Horford.  The C's also have games against OKC and Detroit very early in the season, likely Baynes starts.  I would expect Baynes role to include many starts, some off the bench and a few DNP's.

Last season Brad wanted to start Smart and according to reports Smart requested to come off the bench.  I love the idea of an opening night starting lineup of Kyrie, Smart, Hayward, Horford and Baynes against Philly.  Smart is not a necessity to start as it could easily be either Brown or Tatum.  Smart's best role is one where he is surrounded by offensive talent in a significantly reduced role offensively.  This would also set the tone for the season and some experimentation.

Brown and Tatum coming off the bench would put the ball in their hands a lot more and be better for their development.  Who knows though maybe Kyrie and Gordon are not fully ready at the start of the season.  Maybe one or both of them sit out back to backs for awhile?  Maybe Gordon is on a minutes restriction?  No matter the exact situation I would expect the starting lineups to vary quite a bit.

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I will say this again...what is the big deal about coming off the bench...BB is a game of rotations  it is not soccer or baseball. It shouldn't matter who starts or homesok of the bench....

They announce the names of the starters with lights and loud noises. Starters, on average, make more money than guys that come off the bench. Tell competitive guys like MJ or Kobe that they're going to be coming off the bench.... I'm guessing you won't get a gracious response.

I think it's a big move on his part. I also think that it was great that Smart vocalized the same sentiment last year. While we now know that Smart is a backup on this team, we weren't sure at the time.
Just for the record, Kobe started 7 games in his first two seasons.

This is a non-issue. If Morris is complaining about minutes or where he fits in it may be a good idea to start him and bring Tatum off the bench. The starting five will still have everyone that can score and Tatum will be a much better scorer off the bench than Morris would be.

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 09:53:09 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
The 1st game is against Philly and Embiid.  The Celtics retained Baynes to eat minutes against big starting centers in order to keep the mileage down on Horford.  The C's also have games against OKC and Detroit very early in the season, likely Baynes starts.  I would expect Baynes role to include many starts, some off the bench and a few DNP's.

Last season Brad wanted to start Smart and according to reports Smart requested to come off the bench.  I love the idea of an opening night starting lineup of Kyrie, Smart, Hayward, Horford and Baynes against Philly.  Smart is not a necessity to start as it could easily be either Brown or Tatum.  Smart's best role is one where he is surrounded by offensive talent in a significantly reduced role offensively.  This would also set the tone for the season and some experimentation.

Brown and Tatum coming off the bench would put the ball in their hands a lot more and be better for their development.  Who knows though maybe Kyrie and Gordon are not fully ready at the start of the season.  Maybe one or both of them sit out back to backs for awhile?  Maybe Gordon is on a minutes restriction?  No matter the exact situation I would expect the starting lineups to vary quite a bit.

I agree that the starting lineup could change based on match ups, but in most games I expect the starters to be Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Horford, health permitting. I don't really agree with your point about how putting Brown and/or Tatum on the bench will result in more touches. Brad can get that result by adjusting his rotation so that Brown/Tatum are on the floor with the back ups. It's not an either/or situation. Brown and Tatum can start the game and still be on the floor with the backups as the primary scorers. There has been a lot of talk about Brad will have trouble getting enough mpg for everyone, one way to help alleviate that would be to keep a starter or two on the floor at all times.

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 09:55:48 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown

Just for the record, Kobe started 7 games in his first two seasons.

This is a non-issue. If Morris is complaining about minutes or where he fits in it may be a good idea to start him and bring Tatum off the bench. The starting five will still have everyone that can score and Tatum will be a much better scorer off the bench than Morris would be.
With respect to Kobe it was a different situation, he was coming straight out of high school and while he was highly touted, he still had a lot of growing to do. I'm not suggesting that Tatum will have a Kobe like career, but he was more ready for the NBA in his first year than Kobe was in his first year.

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Usually what a pro athlete says in public is not what he actually wants to say.

Tatum is a smart kid coming of his rookie season playing next to established nba players. Of course he will say something like this what did you expect? Especially so early in the season