Author Topic: Carson Edwards 3rd quarter explosion - highlights  (Read 9798 times)

Re: Carson Edwards 3rd quarter explosion - highlights
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Brad should let Carsen shoot any shot he wants---it's what GS did with Curry....No way any player would take those wild shots in the old days...his teammates and coach would kill him. I think GS had nothing to lose, so they let him take crazy shots-worked out fine I think.  8)
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2019, 04:48:41 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think it's fair to say that Carsen suffered a bit of stage fright tonight. It's ok, it happens. His 30 point 9 3pt shot explosion against Cleveland pretty much means he's not going to get any open space, he will have to create it himself coming off screens. He'll be better for the experience. He looked more comfortable in the 4th quarter during garbage time.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2019, 05:59:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yeah, it was his first game and he will have his ups and downs..  He played poorly, yet still shot .33 from three. 

Those of us who have played some sports here know the shock, when you move up a level of play.   I remember how strong the college players were compared to high school and how much more physical or how quick D 1 players were compared to D3.   Everyone was as tall or taller than me down low etc.  This happens a lot  then you learn to adjust to the changes.

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2019, 06:51:32 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Yeah, it was his first game and he will have his ups and downs..  He played poorly, yet still shot .33 from three. 

Those of us who have played some sports here know the shock, when you move up a level of play.   I remember how strong the college players were compared to high school and how much more physical or how quick D 1 players were compared to D3.   Everyone was as tall or taller than me down low etc.  This happens a lot  then you learn to adjust to the changes.

There's also the mental side of it...the desire to do well, which can affect your execution. Once he settles down he'll be fine.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2019, 08:19:39 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Playing against legit NBA starters will shut him down..not playing against summer league players
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2019, 09:22:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Brad should let Carsen shoot any shot he wants---it's what GS did with Curry....No way any player would take those wild shots in the old days...his teammates and coach would kill him. I think GS had nothing to lose, so they let him take crazy shots-worked out fine I think.  8)
Curry was also a top 10 pick and a 41% shooter from 3 in college.  Edwards was a 2nd rounder that shot under 37% from 3 in college.  Curry was also bigger, more athletic, and just flat out better in college (and they both played 3 seasons though Edwards was obviously at a better school).  Curry also joined a 29 win team that won 26 games his rookie year.  They were clearly in the midst of a full on rebuilding job.  They weren't trying to integrate him into a playoff caliber team.  You have a lot less rope when you join a playoff caliber team.  And also, Curry shot almost 44% from 3 as a rookie.  I get you have to start somewhere, but Curry was an elite shooter from day 1.  When you show an ability to hit shots you get more freedom to shoot.  If Edwards shows an ability to hit shots at an elite level, he will be given more shooting freedom.  That is just how it works.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Curry was also a top 10 pick and a 41% shooter from 3 in college.  Edwards was a 2nd rounder that shot under 37% from 3 in college.  Curry was also bigger, more athletic, and just flat out better in college (and they both played 3 seasons though Edwards was obviously at a better school).  Curry also joined a 29 win team that won 26 games his rookie year.  They were clearly in the midst of a full on rebuilding job.  They weren't trying to integrate him into a playoff caliber team.  You have a lot less rope when you join a playoff caliber team.  And also, Curry shot almost 44% from 3 as a rookie.  I get you have to start somewhere, but Curry was an elite shooter from day 1.  When you show an ability to hit shots you get more freedom to shoot.  If Edwards shows an ability to hit shots at an elite level, he will be given more shooting freedom.  That is just how it works.

Those are all valid points, but showing the ability to hit shots at an elite level is all Edwards has done so far. I understand that it has only been summer league and pre-season, but you can only play to the level of your competition. Also, it's not like he has just had a bunch of easy lay-ups against G-Leaguers, many of his shots have been at a high level of a difficulty from well beyond 3.

He obviously has a ways to go before he gets comfortable out there and he won't have the freedom of a Curry (nor does he have the ability - I get it), but I don't see any reason why he should stop being able to hit 3s - especially with his quick release, ability to shoot off the dribble and off of screens.

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2019, 10:07:49 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Playing against legit NBA starters will shut him down..not playing against summer league players

Carsen will be fine.  1st game and unfortunately against a team that runs all 5 players at 6'6 and bigger and are physical.  The Refs let Philly play a very physical game and when you are allowed to hold players they can't get off screens and get open. 

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Edwards is fearless, ice water in his veins. He is going to be fine.

Brad brought him back in the 4th quarter early because he figured he was our best chance of shooting our way back into the game. Just didn't work out last night.

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2019, 11:58:56 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Curry didn’t shoot all that well in his first game. Being a high pick on a loosing team he played a lot, but he still had to deal with it being his first NBA game and he made his fair share of mistakes. He had a 4th quarter run to get 10 points and hit a 2 pointer at the buzzer when the Warriors were down by 3 to the Houston Rockets, so they lost by 1.

Carsen will be fine. He’s not the reason the Celtics lost.

« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2019, 12:46:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Curry didn’t shoot all that well in his first game. Being a high pick on a loosing team he played a lot, but he still had to deal with it being his first NBA game and he made his fair share of mistakes. He had a 4th quarter run to get 10 points and hit a 2 pointer at the buzzer when the Warriors were down by 3 to the Houston Rockets, so they lost by 1.

Curry's first game ever he was 7 of 12 from the field with 7 assists, 4 steals, 2 rebounds, 2 turnovers, and 2 fouls.  He scored 14 points as he was 0-1 from 3 and didn't shoot a foul shot and he played nearly 36 minutes.  You can't compare him to Edwards.  It does Edwards a disservice.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Curry's first game ever he was 7 of 12 from the field with 7 assists, 4 steals, 2 rebounds, 2 turnovers, and 2 fouls.  He scored 14 points as he was 0-1 from 3 and didn't shoot a foul shot and he played nearly 36 minutes.  You can't compare him to Edwards.  It does Edwards a disservice.

Why are we comparing Edwards to a future HOF.  Everyone was nervous in this game.  1st game of the year and it was on National TV.  Edwards can shoot but there is only one Steph Curry.