Author Topic: Tacko gets a 2 way  (Read 4775 times)

Re: Tacko gets a 2 way
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 06:38:49 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Is Semi going to make this team?

Semi and Wannamaker shouldn't make it over Waters and Green.
Based on what? Waters and Green playing 37 and 26 minutes, respectively, of preseason basketball?

Semi has shown he can play on the NBA level and was even a significant piece for us in a playoff series (we don't beat the Bucks in 2018 without his defense on Giannis).

Say what you want about Ojeleye, but he has, at the very least, proven that he can play solid defense while guarding multiple positions on the NBA level.

Green, on the other hand, has proven next to nothing and is already 26 years old. Just because he has looked decent in preseason doesn't mean we should hand him a roster spot over Ojeleye.

As for Waters? He's a tough kid and might be able to carve out a bench role at some point (a la Shane Larkin), and right now, the difference between him and Wanamaker is probably negligible, but given that we are so thin at point guard, I would rather give that roster spot to the more experienced guy in Wanamaker.

My general point is that people tend to fall in love with preseason when it means virtually nothing. Ojeleye has been on this team for two years now (going on three) and has at least shown he has a legitimate NBA skill.

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 09:30:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Based on what? Waters and Green playing 37 and 26 minutes, respectively, of preseason basketball?

Semi has shown he can play on the NBA level and was even a significant piece for us in a playoff series (we don't beat the Bucks in 2018 without his defense on Giannis).

Say what you want about Ojeleye, but he has, at the very least, proven that he can play solid defense while guarding multiple positions on the NBA level.

Green, on the other hand, has proven next to nothing and is already 26 years old. Just because he has looked decent in preseason doesn't mean we should hand him a roster spot over Ojeleye.

As for Waters? He's a tough kid and might be able to carve out a bench role at some point (a la Shane Larkin), and right now, the difference between him and Wanamaker is probably negligible, but given that we are so thin at point guard, I would rather give that roster spot to the more experienced guy in Wanamaker.

My general point is that people tend to fall in love with preseason when it means virtually nothing. Ojeleye has been on this team for two years now (going on three) and has at least shown he has a legitimate NBA skill.

I'm basing my opinion on 2 years of watching Semi. He stinks!!! ...and has zero potential.

Waters has lots...he is just undersized. 

As for Green, I agree he may not be better than Semi. But I'd like to find out.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 09:33:54 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Green is a nice athlete but Semi has proven NBA skill as a defender.  I’ll take that all day long over a guy that can run and jump.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 10:44:08 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

Green is a nice athlete but Semi has proven NBA skill as a defender.  I’ll take that all day long over a guy that can run and jump.

Last year we got torched game after game (especially in the 3rd quarter) when at least one opposing player couldn't miss from 3 point land.

Green's speed and jumping ability sure would have been welcomed last year. And, will likely be helpful this year.

From what I've seen so far this preseason, Danny and his scouting staff
whiffed on trading away the rights to Matisse. https://www.google.com/amp/s/thesixersense.com/2019/10/13/philadelphia-76ers-can-matisse-thybulle-become-teams-best-defender/amp/

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 10:45:35 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

My general point is that people tend to fall in love with preseason when it means virtually nothing.
If you go with an undersized rookie PG and ask him to play meaningful minutes on a club that's planning on being good - you're just asking for trouble. This is why they'll keep Wanamaker.

And I totally agree, you can't make any meaningful judgments off a couple of games against a team that wasn't trying and another that probably won't win 25 games.

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 05:17:20 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Just as the prophecy foretold...
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 09:04:39 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Good for him!

Re: Tacki gets a 2 way
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 09:16:52 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
when do we get Tacko? Who is Tacki?

Tacko's evil twin who can shoot like Steph, rebound like Embiid, run the break like LeBum and pass like CP3  ;D

Wouldn't mind having a guy like that.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 09:18:39 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Good news. I expect the Celts will sign him to a three or four year contract after the season.

Yeah, but I'm bummed they didn't sign him to a contract so he can make the team right off the bat for opening night. We need his size. I thought I saw they signed Max Struss? Is he any good? I admit that I don't usually watch pre-season. I start watching when the games matter starting opening night.

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 09:31:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
even though he is extra tall,  he seems very sturdy built , not a twig.  I think they can work on his muscle and coordination skills . 

i still think its funny ,  he is kinda timid , not because he fears himself getting hurt ,  you can see he is worried about stepping on one of the little 6 ft dudes.   He has to get over that .  Those 6 ' 5 " guys have not a problem banging him all day.  They beat on Shaq unmercifully. He needs to hire Shaq for a trainer

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 10:07:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Good news. I expect the Celts will sign him to a three or four year contract after the season.

Yeah, but I'm bummed they didn't sign him to a contract so he can make the team right off the bat for opening night. We need his size. I thought I saw they signed Max Struss? Is he any good? I admit that I don't usually watch pre-season. I start watching when the games matter starting opening night.

The problem with signing him this season is we can only offer him two years, after which he’d hit restricted free agency. This way he gets a developmental year, and then we could own his rights for up to four more years, assuming we use part of our MLE to sign him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2019, 10:23:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Saw this coming a mile away. This was always the most likely scenario. As Roy stated, this allows the team to keep control over him during these developmental years for the longest period of time and it really did make the most financial sense.

Tacko is an intriguing possibility but he is also not ready in any way for NBA basketball. This way, as Tacko said himself, he gets the playing time and only through playing time will he be able to develop.

Win win move for everyone

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 06:23:02 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
I've never seen a player get a deal based almost entirely on the fans going nuts to see him do basketball things in garbage time.

Good for him though.

In fairness, I think it's more then *just* the fans.

Taco is a little green, but he has already shown that he can impact the game just by being present on the court.  There have been some stretches here opposing teams have simply refused to attack the basket and have resorted almost entirely to settling for jumpers because they are scared to drive to in to the paint. 

With experience if he can get a bit more comfortable his being in the right place at the right time, I think he could have a really significant impact on D and on the boards - especially against less agile, bigs like Embiid,

He doesn't need to be a star by any means, he just needs to be able to come on to the court for 10-15 minutes and make an impact defenisvely, help out on the boards, etc. 

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 06:30:01 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

I tend to agree.

I like the athleticism and excitement Green brings, but in fairness I'm not sure I've really seem that much from him beyond just dunks and athletic plays.  I'm concerned he might be the type of player who looks good in summer league / preseason when playing against weak defenses, but will be useless against real NBA rosters who are playing to win.

Ojeleye has his limitations, but he has played meaningly minutes and made meaningul impact in playoff games against some serious competition (the likes of Lebron and Giannis) - and to me that is far, far more noteworthy then some kid who came in a dunked a few times in preseason.

I'm in a similar dilema with Waters.  I like his game, but we already have Edwards, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen an NBA team excel with two sub 6' players on the roster.  I'm also concerned with whether Waters can produce against NBA talent in real NBA games.  Because of injuries, Wanamaker was forced to play some NBA minutes last yea, and when he was called upon he did a decent job. 

It's hard to imagine Stevens taking an unproven rookie over a guy with a couple of years under his belt - he seems the type who gives veterans the benefit of the doubt more often then not.

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2019, 05:35:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Tacko is too raw, not to mention hurt, to be of any help now.

But, if he can learn how to play in our team defense.......

Would cut down a lot of the easy buckets that teams like the Sixers were able to score last night.  His presence would be felt.

Will probably not be able to contribute on that level for another year, minimum, but it does keep me somewhat hopeful.