Author Topic: Tom Brady officially said goodbye to New England  (Read 27578 times)

Re: Tom Brady officially said goodbye to New England
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2020, 11:42:49 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Brady visited Kraft at his home last night to tell him the news in person, Tom E. Curran reports.

Tom Brady reached out to Robert Kraft on Monday night and met with the New England Patriots owner at his home in Brookline. Kraft explained to NBC Sports Boston that Brady explained he would be leaving the Patriots.

Kraft said the conversation was warm between the two men. "We love each other very much," said Kraft. "He's like a family member. This is very sad because he's like a son to me."

"This is not the way I wanted it to end, but in life, people need to be free to realize what's important to them. I respect him so much. It was a sad, loving discussion."

Kraft hoped that Brady's visit was going to result in better news for New England. "I thought he was coming over as he has for the last 10 years to quietly get things done."

As it turns out, that was not the case. Brady has yet to decide where he will finish out his career. The announcement he is leaving New England, a source told me on Tuesday, will be the only announcement from the Brady camp today.

I asked Kraft if he was disappointed that the Patriots did not get deeper into negotations with Brady.

"It's not about that," said Kraft. "This is big picture. I just don't think he was going to be happy staying in our system at this point."

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-owner-robert-kraft-reacts-tom-brady-leaving-new-england
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2020, 11:47:31 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Really interested to see what New England does at QB now. Do we go with Stidham? Try and trade up to pick a guy like Herbert or Love? Look to free agency (like Winston? I don't think our cap situation is very friendly right now though).

Sucks for guys like the McCourty twins who have probably seen their last chance at another ring depart, but hey, they got to win one together.

Gotta be thankful we witnessed the greatest era in NFL history!

My main fear is that they'll try to get a veteran starter as a placeholder for a season or two.

Why bother?

Let Stidham learn on the job, take a swing in the draft ... whatever, just begin the process of trying to identify the next franchise QB.  I don't really care about wins and losses for the team until they find the next guy.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Really interested to see what New England does at QB now. Do we go with Stidham? Try and trade up to pick a guy like Herbert or Love? Look to free agency (like Winston? I don't think our cap situation is very friendly right now though).

Sucks for guys like the McCourty twins who have probably seen their last chance at another ring depart, but hey, they got to win one together.

My main fear is that they'll try to get a veteran starter as a placeholder for a season or two.

Why bother?

Let Stidham learn on the job, take a swing in the draft ... whatever, just begin the process of trying to identify the next franchise QB.  I don't really care about wins and losses for the team until they find the next guy.

Tank for Trevor?  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2020, 11:55:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Las Vegas Raiders or Miami Dolphins is my guess

Can't see Tom signing with a small market team

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2020, 12:00:50 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
As somebody who doesn't follow football, and knows very little about it, can somebody explain this all in basketball terms to me.

Like I know the Patriots made the playoffs, and they finished with about the same record they've had for the last several years, so it's not like they just snuck in.

So why not bring Brady back?  I understand he's 42, but what's that in basketball years?  Is he closer to 35 year old LeBron or 39 year old Pierce/KG?, or somewhere in between?  What would he be compared to for the upcoming seasons?

Is he looking for max money or reasonable money or a long contract or what?  And why don't the Patriots want to give it to him?

And what are the Patriots chances with and without him?

Somebody give me an NBA comparison please.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
20 years in the NFL is probably equal to playing between 26-27 years in the NBA.

Brady playing at his level the last three years would be the equivalent of LeBron having his last three years but at the ages of 43-46 years old.

Kareem might have the NBA career that most closely resembles Brady's career but even that falls short.

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 12:15:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
As somebody who doesn't follow football, and knows very little about it, can somebody explain this all in basketball terms to me.

Like I know the Patriots made the playoffs, and they finished with about the same record they've had for the last several years, so it's not like they just snuck in.

The comparison that comes to mind for me is Kobe at the end of his career with the Lakers.

Imagine an alternate history where instead of tearing his achilles at the end of the 2013 season, Kobe remained relatively healthy but the Lakers still got beaten soundly in the first round of the playoffs.  Imagine further that Kobe was an unrestricted free agent that summer and decided to leave the Lakers to try and win another title before retirement.

Brady is much older than Kobe was at that point and probably has even less in the tank, but I think it's a similar thing.  The Patriots had a solid record this season and for parts of it they looked really good, but they really backed their way into the playoffs and then got beaten soundly by a just-okay Tennessee team. 

The writing was on the wall for the end of an era whether or not Brady came back.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2020, 12:25:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
20 years in the NFL is probably equal to playing between 26-27 years in the NBA.

Brady playing at his level the last three years would be the equivalent of LeBron having his last three years but at the ages of 43-46 years old.

Kareem might have the NBA career that most closely resembles Brady's career but even that falls short.

Disagree

NFL QBs work a hell of a lot less physically during games/season vs NBA or NHL players.  Offseason shape about the same

So imo it is not equivalent of Lebron having his last three years but at the ages of 43-46 years old.

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2020, 12:51:18 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Wow I really didn't think he would do it. They must have had an irreversible breakdown  :(

I'm sure they lowballed him, considering people like Tannehill were getting $30m a year, maybe Bill didn't want to give a 43yo that amount.

Good luck Tom and thanks for the 20 years of success. I will miss you.

I didn't think he would, either. Shocking indeed. I bet they did lowball him in comparison to Tannehill, but Tannehill is getting GROSSLY overpaid. I mean, if Derrick Henry goes down, Tennessee doesn't even make the playoffs. I think TEN is going to regret that contract soon.

But anyway, my thanks to Tom and I wish him the best (except for if/when he plays NE). His departure had to happen eventually, but it still sucks. And speaking of suck, I think that'll be the mantra for the Pats this season! ;D Just kidding. Sort of. I mean, at QB they'll have either an inexperienced Stidham, an inexperienced rookie from this year's draft, or a journeyman vet who's not starter quality. And that QB will be throwing to ... who? Edelman might get traded now. Sanu? Harry (who's still inexperienced)? A rookie tight end? Ugh. And it's not a Patriots season without a bazillion injuries to the offensive line, so throw that into the mix.

And no pass rush. Yay!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2020, 12:53:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
To be honest given all his concussions I hope Edelman retires.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 12:56:55 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Why bother?

I agree. Guys like Dalton are available because they're nothing special. Better to start looking for the next franchise cornerstone.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 01:04:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really like what I saw out of Stidham at Auburn and also his performance in the preseason last year. I would have no problem with Belichick using Stidham as his starting QB this year. I think people would be surprised at the success Belichick could have with Stidham as the starting QB.

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2020, 01:31:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Some of the responses here are infuritating. Why in the world would you want to move on from the best football player of all-time? Stidham, Dalton, Winston? My god, people who think it's time for both sides to just move on are just delusional. The dude brought this laughingstock of a franchise six Super Bowls. Whether or not you think it's best for the franchise over the next two years, you let him ride into the sunset with this team. He's earned that. That we don't have any better options makes this exponentially worse.

The fact that Tom is basically like, "I don't know where I'm playing next year, but it certainly isn't here," speaks volumes. Probably listening to a lot of the media and unappreciative fans - there are a lot of them.

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2020, 01:32:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I agree. Guys like Dalton are available because they're nothing special. Better to start looking for the next franchise cornerstone.

Part of it for me is also that I just want to see the Pats play a new way.  I want something fresh and hopefully more exciting, even if it's not going to result in as many wins as we're used to.

I'm thinking of how the team had to play when Jacoby Brissett was the QB.  Obviously you want to have somebody who is a bit more capable as a passer, but it was a really interesting change of pace to have a guy who could move outside the pocket a bit.

That doesn't mean I want them to trot out Tebow under center next year, but I'd love to see some new looks on offense, open things up a bit more.  Tired of the dink and dunk.

Andy Dalton, to say the least, would not do that.  He'd be just another pocket passer, only worse than Brady.  That's the worst case scenario for me.  Brady gone and yet they're still trying to play the same tired style.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2020, 01:34:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Some of the responses here are infuritating. Why in the world would you want to move on from the best football player of all-time? Stidham, Dalton, Winston? My god, people who think it's time for both sides to just move on are just delusional. The dude brought this laughingstock of a franchise six Super Bowls. Whether or not you think it's best for the franchise over the next two years, you let him ride into the sunset with this team. He's earned that. That we don't have any better options makes this exponentially worse.

The fact that Tom is basically like, "I don't know where I'm playing next year, but it certainly isn't here," speaks volumes. Probably listening to a lot of the media and unappreciative fans - there are a lot of them.

Look man, when I tune in to watch my team I'm hoping to be entertained.

The Patriots just weren't entertaining for me the last couple of years.  Even when they were winning they were grinding it out, for the most part. 

I know that it's going to get worse before it gets better but I want to at least feel that it's moving toward a new era.

I was sad when Paul and KG got traded.  The 2013 Celts were disappointing, yet the 2014 Celts were even worse.  Nonetheless, that transition led to a new era that I've greatly enjoyed.  I hope something similar can happen with the Pats.
- Mark Twain