Author Topic: NFL Black Monday (i.e. coach firing day)  (Read 10072 times)

Re: NFL Black Monday (i.e. coach firing day)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 09:40:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
The Redskins won a playoff game in 2005 and before that in 1999. 

The Browns haven't even made the playoffs since 2002 and haven't won one since Bill Belichick was their coach in 1994.  The Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990.  The Lions haven't won a playoff game since 1991.  The Bills haven't won a playoff game since 1995 (and this year is only the 2nd appearance since 1999). 

In other words, the Redskins are far from the worst franchise out there. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 10:01:53 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's not forget that before the 1985 playoff run to SuperBowl XX, that the Pats only played in like 4 or 5 playoff games in 25 years and were the laughing stock of the league for much of those 25 years. The Pats really didn't become the franchise they are now until Kraft and Parcells showed up.

It took a great owner(a future HOFer) with three great coaches(one HOFer and two future HOFers) and two great QBs(one the GOAT)for the Pats to become what they are today.

These terrible franchises can be turned around. It just takes the owner making the right decisions by hiring great football people who hire great coaches and draft great players.

If the Pathetic Patsies of the 1960's to 1990's could do it, any team can.

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

The Browns haven't even made the playoffs since 2002 and haven't won one since Bill Belichick was their coach in 1994.  The Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990.  The Lions haven't won a playoff game since 1991.  The Bills haven't won a playoff game since 1995 (and this year is only the 2nd appearance since 1999). 

That is what? 4 teams you mentioned?

There are 30 teams? 32?

So you're telling me that 26 or 28 teams have found "A" winning formula of success and 4 are destined to stay mediocre?

We (Washington Redskins) are solidly among the worst franchises out there - and have been for many years. I'm not counting their "playoff" successes because SUSTAINED success COUNTS....not "falling into the playoffs one year then becoming mediocre the next."

The NFL is UNIQUE - in that a team can finish 2-14 one year...make some changes in coaching and personnel...go 7-9 or 8-8 the next year, then make the playoffs the year after that.

Well run franchises trend UP - not stay mired in mediocrity.

Off the top of my head we had some "decent" success when Joe Gibbs came back in the mid 2000s. How sad is it that we had to pull that class act OUT of retirement...away from NASCAR - for us to achieve some success?

And even THAT was mired in Sean Taylor's passing. That was a BLOW to this team. Loved ST.

We enjoyed s moderate level of success with RGIII. That was short-lived.

Then we kept pulling the strings with Kirk Cousins - did that for several years. Now he is in MIN and they are about to go to the playoffs.

Just a roller-coaster of mediocrity. And we've HAD some FINE TALENT over that period of time.

I will ALWAYS be a Washington Redskin Fan - as much as I will always be a Boston Celtic Fan.

But I'm tired of the circus.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 11:54:00 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
There are definitely worse franchises over the past 30 years than the redskins if we’re looking at record and playoff appearances. 

The redskins however are the most dysfunctional out of all those teams, and it’s not even close to be honest.  Not just right now, but over the past 20 years as well.  Except for maybe the Bengals, I wouldn’t think twice about wagering that any of those teams will rise out of the basement of the NFL before the skins.
Greg

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 11:57:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That is what? 4 teams you mentioned?

There are 30 teams? 32?

So you're telling me that 26 or 28 teams have found "A" winning formula of success and 4 are destined to stay mediocre?

We (Washington Redskins) are solidly among the worst franchises out there - and have been for many years. I'm not counting their "playoff" successes because SUSTAINED success COUNTS....not "falling into the playoffs one year then becoming mediocre the next."

The NFL is UNIQUE - in that a team can finish 2-14 one year...make some changes in coaching and personnel...go 7-9 or 8-8 the next year, then make the playoffs the year after that.

Well run franchises trend UP - not stay mired in mediocrity.

Off the top of my head we had some "decent" success when Joe Gibbs came back in the mid 2000s. How sad is it that we had to pull that class act OUT of retirement...away from NASCAR - for us to achieve some success?

And even THAT was mired in Sean Taylor's passing. That was a BLOW to this team. Loved ST.

We enjoyed s moderate level of success with RGIII. That was short-lived.

Then we kept pulling the strings with Kirk Cousins - did that for several years. Now he is in MIN and they are about to go to the playoffs.

Just a roller-coaster of mediocrity. And we've HAD some FINE TALENT over that period of time.

I will ALWAYS be a Washington Redskin Fan - as much as I will always be a Boston Celtic Fan.

But I'm tired of the circus.
No, but whining about not winning and acting like the franchise is terrible just rings hollow when there are far worse teams/franchises out there.  Heck the Cowboys have won 1 playoff game since 96.  Miami hasn't won a playoff game since 2000 and has only been in the playoffs twice since 2001.  Before the Titans won a playoff game in 2017, they hadn't even made the playoffs in decade and their last playoff win was 2003.  The Buccaneers last playoff appearance was 2007.  They haven't won a playoff game since 2002 (though that was the Superbowl).

Just because I only listed a few, doesn't mean they are the only ones.  It is hard to win in the NFL.  The Redskins are far from the worst franchise out there.  They are almost middle of the pack both in terms of playoffs appearances and victories.

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 11:59:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
There are definitely worse franchises over the past 30 years than the redskins if we’re looking at record and playoff appearances. 

The redskins however are the most dysfunctional out of all those teams, and it’s not even close to be honest.  Not just right now, but over the past 20 years as well.  Except for maybe the Bengals, I wouldn’t think twice about wagering that any of those teams will rise out of the basement of the NFL before the skins.
That just isn't true.  The Browns have clearly been more dysfunctional. So have the Bengals. I think you could argue the Cowboys have been. 

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Washington will hire Marvin Lewis. U heard it hear first
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Let's not forget that before the 1985 playoff run to SuperBowl XX, that the Pats only played in like 4 or 5 playoff games in 25 years and were the laughing stock of the league for much of those 25 years. The Pats really didn't become the franchise they are now until Kraft and Parcells showed up.

It took a great owner(a future HOFer) with three great coaches(one HOFer and two future HOFers) and two great QBs(one the GOAT)for the Pats to become what they are today.

These terrible franchises can be turned around. It just takes the owner making the right decisions by hiring great football people who hire great coaches and draft great players.

That's the problem tho. Dan Snyder is only in his fifties. Going by how old these football owners seem to get, we could be seeing several decades of incompetence under Snyder. He also has no inclination of selling the team anytime soon.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That's the problem tho. Dan Snyder is only in his fifties. Going by how old these football owners seem to get, we could be seeing several decades of incompetence under Snyder. He also has no inclination of selling the team anytime soon.
Yeah he seems to be a much richer version of the Sullivans that were just horrid owners here in NE.

But hey, if the Jacob brothers(owners of the Bruins) could go from ridiculously dysfunctional to really good owners, I guess it's possible for Snyder, though I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2019, 12:58:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Moranis and others? TPs for the optimism.

For me? Excuse the analogy but there is only so much whip cream you can put on poop....

You can cover it up and that whip cream can mask the APPEARANCE but once you take a bite, well.........................

Heck....you get CLOSE enough to it - like I and many other Washington Fans have over the years - and you can SMELL it - no matter HOW MUCH whip cream you place on it.

To the outside observers? "Oh they're not as bad as you say........"

But to the Die Hards? Well...........

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2019, 01:00:33 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Washington will hire Marvin Lewis. U heard it hear first

No they're reportedly going to hire Rivera which I like.

As long as they keep Callahan I'm ok with that. Haskins seemingly got better with him at the helm.

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2019, 01:16:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I'll say this - I'm thankful for Danny Ainge and Coach Brad Stevens. I'm thankful for Glenn "Doc" Rivers before CBS.

When you WIN for a period of time...even scratch out a Championship during that time....that is SUSTAINED winning...we COMPETED for 2-3 years...even had a GLORIOUS run in 2011-12.

"THAT" is SUSTAINED...

Even with Coach Stevens....he has kept us COMPETITIVE.....even got a dose of managing challenging individuals (see last year)......but we were COMPETITIVE - even last year.

To MANY of us and even NBA analysts in general - we were going to pull it together last year....we did NOT of course but that's now in the past, thankfully.

Now? We are COMPETING once again....we don't even have the absolute BEST talent out there.....

Our Boston Celtics reminds me somewhat of the Washington Redskins from the 80s and early 90s......we did not often have the BEST talent....heck even BIG JOHN RIGGINS was WELL into his 30s when he rumbled us to winning in the 80s.

I know - I know - the 86 Celtics are among the best teams of all time...I get that.

Joe Theismann was a VERY good quarterback...would've probably won a ring or two for us if it wasn't for his injury. LOVED that guy.

We COMPETED then. Above all the TEAM seemed to LOVE one another and got along. The "Fun Bunch" was a way of life.

Now? I'm hopeful but waiting and seeing. No excuses for continued mediocrity.

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2019, 02:26:03 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker

That just isn't true.  The Browns have clearly been more dysfunctional. So have the Bengals. I think you could argue the Cowboys have been.

completely disagree, and maybe because perhaps Im closer to it living here in the DC area.

After Shannahan/RG3, where towards the end there were leaks coming out every other day from each camp, trashing the other.

The mess that was Scott Mccloughin (sp?) and Bruce Allens struggles for power.

Dan Snyder sueing fans and confiscating signs at FedEx field.

Bruce Allen/Jay Gruden and this recent Dewayne Haskins mess.

The Jim Zorn mess, taking away his play calling duties and giving them to a guy who was calling Bingo games for old folks the previous week.

Aside from Joe Gibbs, EVERY coach that has been here, has left mired in controversy.  And when I say controversy, its not just from losing, but just every conceivable piece of dirty laundry getting aired in hopes of someone quitting so their remaining salary wouldnt be paid. I didnt even mention the Steve Spurrier mess.

You cant tell me its been more dysfunctional in Dallas, Cleveland, or Cincinnati than this clownshow   
Greg

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2019, 02:35:01 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
Im not alone.  Im not saying these lists are gospel, but just proof that you may be underestimating the Skins problems

https://thecomeback.com/nfl/the-nfls-most-dysfunctional-franchises-ranked.html

this one has them as the most dysfunctional in all of pro sports

https://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/gallery/most-dysfunctional-teams-sports-nba-nfl-mlb-sacramento-kings-demarcus-cousins-redskins-022017
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 02:42:22 PM by greg683x »
Greg

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2019, 06:28:30 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Moranis and others? TPs for the optimism.

For me? Excuse the analogy but there is only so much whip cream you can put on poop....

You can cover it up and that whip cream can mask the APPEARANCE but once you take a bite, well.........................

Heck....you get CLOSE enough to it - like I and many other Washington Fans have over the years - and you can SMELL it - no matter HOW MUCH whip cream you place on it.

To the outside observers? "Oh they're not as bad as you say........"

But to the Die Hards? Well...........
TP for understanding the frustration of being a Skins fan like myself that some others just don't seem to get.  Let other fans complain about their franchise's incompetence if they so choose (if there are any here).  We're not stopping them nor comparing the Skins' futility to theirs -- just stating that the state of our beloved franchise sucks right now and has for a couple of decades.