Author Topic: Trade idea: Morris + Nader for Korver  (Read 6351 times)

Re: Trade idea: Morris + Nader for Korver
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2018, 01:34:10 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Korver is too much a liability defensively.  At least Morris can hold his own on the defensive side of the basketball.

Honestly Nader has almost zero trade value.  The question is what can we get for Morris?  I don't see DA moving Morris unless we can get similar value back in return.

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Korver is too much a liability defensively.  At least Morris can hold his own on the defensive side of the basketball.

Honestly Nader has almost zero trade value.  The question is what can we get for Morris?  I don't see DA moving Morris unless we can get similar value back in return.

What’s similar value for a decent swing forward on an expiring contract?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2018, 02:00:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Korver is the kind of player that can spark an offense when we are flat. Can crank out 9 points in 90 seconds. 

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2018, 02:11:37 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Did Korver play in the finals?

Ojeleye didn't log any minutes, so probably not  :P

On a serious note, he played a bit over 16mpg and was a -7 for the series (not bad given that the team was -60 for the series)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2018, 02:13:43 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I would take Korver in a second.  Because Brad's offense is so predicated on the 3, why not have one of the game's premier 3pt shooters in the rotation? We lost vs Cleveland because we couldn't make enough 3's.

Assuming it works cap-wise I can see Phily making a move for him.  Personally I'd rather not have him and Reddick on the opposing side in those games.

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Honestly don't know who is being made available out there.  I'm still holding out hope that we get a Leonard deal done so I'd rather hold onto Morris for salary match purposes.  Even if that doesn't happen, keeping Morris gives the Celtics some needed depth.

I'm thinking Morris will be the primary backup at the 4.  Theis and Williams will see time at 4/5.  Yabu... I'm uncertain he does much of anything.

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2018, 02:39:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Tatum is going to log heavy minutes at the 4 once Hayward is healthy as that is the only way you can get both him and Hayward enough minutes.

That said I'd much rather have Morris than Korver.  The versatility on offense and the better defense is just more important.

Yeah, I know, a lot of people seem to like that idea but I don't.  I think there are plenty of minutes for Hayward, Brown, and Tatum at the 2 & 3 to be covered.  I don't mind seeing Tatum getting some minutes at 4 but I don't think Tatum should be played primarily at the 4.  We do seem to agree that Morris will play an important role though.
I'd much rather play Tatum at the 4 than Hayward at the 2 (those are the only real options for getting both of them 30+ minutes a night).  If Smart is back, that makes it an even easier decision.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2018, 03:04:18 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

A couple of ideas

Morris + second rounder(?) for Jonathon Simmons

Morris for Beverley straight up (especially if we lose Smart / trade Rozier)

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2018, 03:08:17 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Didnt know Korver is 37..thought he was younger..pass on him..rather have Bird or Jarell Eddie
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2018, 03:11:09 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Didnt know Korver is 37..thought he was younger..pass on him..rather have Bird or Jarell Eddie

Old NBA players -- especially old NBA players with an elite skill -- are worth more than D-League guys.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2018, 03:33:33 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Honestly don't know who is being made available out there.  I'm still holding out hope that we get a Leonard deal done so I'd rather hold onto Morris for salary match purposes.  Even if that doesn't happen, keeping Morris gives the Celtics some needed depth.

I kind of feel the same re: salary matching. Morris is our biggest, movable, and non-essential salary. Moving him before the season starts limits our options at the deadline for sure. Of course, keeping him and reducing his role has risks too. I would put Morris' likelihood of being traded this season at 80%.

I do like Korver as a bench spark and his defensive liability is less pronounced in that role. You can deploy him situationally, which would be ideal for both his capabilities and his age.

It just seems to me that  Danny will keep Morris as a chip rather than using hi to make an more incremental 8th man addition.

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2018, 04:29:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Tatum is going to log heavy minutes at the 4 once Hayward is healthy as that is the only way you can get both him and Hayward enough minutes.

That said I'd much rather have Morris than Korver.  The versatility on offense and the better defense is just more important.
Yeah, I know, a lot of people seem to like that idea but I don't.  I think there are plenty of minutes for Hayward, Brown, and Tatum at the 2 & 3 to be covered.  I don't mind seeing Tatum getting some minutes at 4 but I don't think Tatum should be played primarily at the 4.  We do seem to agree that Morris will play an important role though.
I'd much rather play Tatum at the 4 than Hayward at the 2 (those are the only real options for getting both of them 30+ minutes a night).  If Smart is back, that makes it an even easier decision.

I don't know how to copy the numbers but in 2016-17, Hayward split his time about equally between SG and SF and was +186 pts at SG and +156 pts at SF.  I would much rather see Hayward at SG and Tatum at SF, playing with a PF than have Tatum at PF.  As I said, there will be times when the Celtics can go with the Three Wings line up but I think they should limit that.  And I realize I am in the minority on this.

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Korver can come as a buyout. I too would rather have Bird.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2018, 01:21:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Jabari isn’t particularly close to an NBA rotation player.

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2018, 01:29:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Jabari isn’t particularly close to an NBA rotation player.
Yeah, if we could get Korver after a buyout, Korver becomes a rotation player on this team, especially if Smart isn't on the team. Bird at best is a 14th to 15th player on this team who will spend most of his time shuttling back and forth to Portland.