Author Topic: Danny made offer for Kawhi/Woj article on SAS and Kawhi(Merged Topics)  (Read 9114 times)

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I like the idea that Danny and ownership made the offer, which makes it seem like they want the Celtics to be a great team, and not just a ECF contender. I assume Danny and ownership must have had a conversation about being willing to pay multiple max players and being put into the luxury tax, before making the offer for Kawhi.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:17:29 PM by nickagneta »

Re: Danny made offer for Kawhi before February trade deadline
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 11:58:26 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Non-story without knowing what he offered IMO.

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
This rumor to me signals the end of KL in SA. This is a fire stoker to get people to submit offers to jumpstart trade options.

I rarely believe trades were proposed when no specific details were highlighted. Such BS.

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 01:26:31 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I've seen clickbait articles and made-up stories of Kawhi being traded to Boston for Gordon Hayward and Kings pick as if it had just happened and I had a good laugh.

I don't trust Kawhi to return to his dominating form, and he's been long absent so I'll pass on him. I love what our guys are currently producing though.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 01:31:28 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
A couple of thoughts: this must mean that Ainge doesn't believe that Leonard is injured, but then wouldn't that make him a head case?

And what could the offer be? Is Brown and Morris enough to match salaries? I assume all the future picks were on the table too. This was also during Tatum's swoon, so was he offered?

Hypothetically, Brown + Morris + Rozier + Nader could get it done. Nader is solely just there to match salaries.  Might sound like a lot but if Kawhi is relatively healthy and the C's ensure they keep Smart, then that's a deadly team next year. Would absolutely suck to lose Jaylen though, but either way I doubt it happens, b/c Kawhi stays in San Antonio and signs the super-max.

On the contrary, doesn't sound like enough, especially if we think we can re-sign him.

Yeah. I really like Jaylen Brown, but if Kawhi is healthy this would be a serious upgrade. Kyrie-Kawhi-Hayward-Tatum-Horford is a champion. Kawhi is a top-five player - in the conversation with LeBron, Durant, Davis, Harden.

Re: New Woj Article on SAS and Kawhi
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 02:10:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
There's a rumor that Pop might retire after the 2020 Olympics (about 2 seasons from now)

Idk if it's legit but it could play a factor in what Kawhi decides going forward
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Without knowing the offer I gave no idea what to make of this. Was it picks and lower level guys like Smart, Morris, Baynes? Tjat c would be my guess. The kind of ask where you see if you can get a guy for a steal. Or maybe Brown and Tatum were in there. Right now I have a hard time seeing them getting deal or Kawhi miving. Think he gets the super Max offer and signs it.

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Even if you're not including Irving, Hayward, or Horford in a deal for Leonard, making a trade for him essentially means you're losing one of those three guys, because of the impossibility of having four max players on your roster without hitting the luxury tax year after year.

The other problem with trading for him is that it throws off the positional balancing of your roster. If you include Brown you lose someone who can defend 2s, for instance. If you include Kyrie than you still need to find a PG, and would need to find space to start Brown, Leonard, Hayward, Horford, and Tatum. Honestly he only way it would work is if you traded either Tatum or Hayward for him, and I don't see the organization parting with either.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Even if you're not including Irving, Hayward, or Horford in a deal for Leonard, making a trade for him essentially means you're losing one of those three guys, because of the impossibility of having four max players on your roster without hitting the luxury tax year after year.

The other problem with trading for him is that it throws off the positional balancing of your roster. If you include Brown you lose someone who can defend 2s, for instance. If you include Kyrie than you still need to find a PG, and would need to find space to start Brown, Leonard, Hayward, Horford, and Tatum. Honestly he only way it would work is if you traded either Tatum or Hayward for him, and I don't see the organization parting with either.

Yeah Leonard can guard literally 1-3 easily, and occasional 4/5 on switches, although obviously not advisable... So the question of replacing Jaylen Brown is a non-issue.

Have you ever seen him shut down Curry, Westbrook, CP3?..

The question is not whether or not Kawhi can fit on a team. He fits seamlessly... He's the best two way player in the league when healthy... But as you said, someone has to go... That's the tricky part.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Kyrie
Hayward
Lenorad
Tatum
AL

= AWESOME 

Brown, Morris, Rozier, Smart and all the picks we need  to get a return of KL would be awesome.   But not enough for the Spurs and Brown leaving is too much for this BLog....   
Diggles

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Danny doing his diligence. Maybe he low-balled them to see where the Spurs heads are at right now. Either way, I'm glad an offer was extended and I'm glad it didn't happen. I like this team.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Kyrie
Hayward
Lenorad
Tatum
AL

= AWESOME 

Brown, Morris, Rozier, Smart and all the picks we need  to get a return of KL would be awesome.   But not enough for the Spurs and Brown leaving is too much for this BLog....

Could they even bring Leonard in without moving a max salary?

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Brown, Morris, Rozier, Smart and all the picks we need  to get a return of KL would be awesome. 

And Kyrie could get hurt and who you playing at guard?  Ridiculous.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I think no actual offers were made. Probably that's just Danny asking for the price of Kawhi.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think no actual offers were made. Probably that's just Danny asking for the price of Kawhi.

I also think other teams may have made offers or contacted the Spurs for sure, but not sure why just Boston was "leaked" as a team that "made an offer" for him by Woj. Interesting. Maybe driving the price up a bit for PHI and LAL to make a run for him if he is available?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller