Author Topic: Play of late - simply a sign of a psychological letdown?  (Read 1297 times)

Play of late - simply a sign of a psychological letdown?
« on: January 08, 2009, 07:28:04 PM »

Offline Bossco

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 54
When viewing the historic start the Celtics had this year and then getting knocked off their perch by the Lakers on Christmas day - I think that it simply could be natural for the team to have a letdown psychologically. They are the same team that kicked virtually everyone's butt so far this year. Their talent hasn't changed - just the outcome of a few games. They just need to regroup.

What will we all be talking about if they go on another long winning streak?

Bring on the Crabeliers!

Re: Play of late - simply a sign of a psychological letdown?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
Yay - Optimism!!!  ;D

There hasn't been a lot of that around here lately.

TP for not overreacting to anything!

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 07:57:23 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Exactly!  I've been saying for a week that if the playoffs started today I would still pick the C's to win the title even with this exact roster.  The focus and energy would obviously increase, and the games are spaced out more so the players get more rest.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm not sure how much I'd chalk this letdown up to something psychological.

I really think the recent slump has more to do with something physical.  This team just looks tired and lethargic out there.  Lately, teams are giving the C's their best effort and its awfully tough to get up that much for each game.  Also, just look at the amount of games they've played so far.  Lot of 3 and even 4 game weeks.  With a veteran team, that's bound to take on a toll on them physically.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 08:03:39 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
Mostly in agreement but I also think part of this is the psychology of the opposition.  Teams are able to get up emotionally because they are playing the Boston Celtics, the champions and very... pugnacious champions at that.

But, at the same time, they've seen a couple of teams grab wins over this team.  Suddenly the fear that would go with playing against the best is fading.  It's the best of both worlds for Celtics opponents - the bonus of playing the best without the fear of being the rest, to put it in quotable format ;-)