Author Topic: Pierce- last 10 games  (Read 5192 times)

Pierce- last 10 games
« on: January 08, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7
http://www.dougstats.com/08-09/BostonCelticsLF.html

.526 FG
.561 3pt
.891 FT

With all of the hand wringing and people talking about how the team looks old and out of step.....I think this needs to be pointed out.  Pierce has played great and he's shot better than he has in a long time.
He is NOT part of the problem.
So why over this period of time has he only averaged 13.3 shots per game?

I also hate to see him used as a three point shooter of last resort, which has happened way too often this season.
It takes away from one of his main strengths, getting to the free throw line, which hasn't been happening nearly as much as it should, especially during this losing streak.

Re: Pierce- last 10 games
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 01:16:59 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
http://www.dougstats.com/08-09/BostonCelticsLF.html

.526 FG
.561 3pt
.891 FT

With all of the hand wringing and people talking about how the team looks old and out of step.....I think this needs to be pointed out.  Pierce has played great and he's shot better than he has in a long time.
He is NOT part of the problem.
So why over this period of time has he only averaged 13.3 shots per game?

I also hate to see him used as a three point shooter of last resort, which has happened way too often this season.
It takes away from one of his main strengths, getting to the free throw line, which hasn't been happening nearly as much as it should, especially during this losing streak.

alot of thats pauls fault, he's nearly always the trailer. He doesn't really motor down the floor like he did all last season. Though, he has picked the running in transition up the last 3 games.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 01:17:10 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Pierce has been out best player for awhile now.  He's been playing awesome, hitting the jumper, hitting big shots.  If he's hitting from outside, I don't mind him not driving as much this time of year.  He didn't seem to be creating quite as much seperation from the defender this year anyway.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 01:28:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
why does his recent hot-streak coincide with the Celtics recent cold-streak?   I liked it better when he was shooting 39% and we were winning 27 of 29.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 01:32:24 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
why does his recent hot-streak coincide with the Celtics recent cold-streak?   I liked it better when he was shooting 39% and we were winning 27 of 29.
Yeah funny, huh?  He heats up and some other guys cool down.  I really think Rondo is the key, though.  It seems like we win EVERY time the guy has a real good game.

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 01:38:09 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
It went from everyone playing good except Pierce to Pierce being the only one playing good...And I agree, the captain is not getting enough shots lately starting in LA, where he had it going and they just stopped going to him for no reason

Its almost like the celtics are coaching and playing not to make the all star game

Also playing like they got there got there skill sucked from their bodies from the monstars on space jam
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 01:58:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703

I think it's because he always steps up when we need him. When we were winning 27 out of 29 the other guys, especially ray and rondo, were on big time and pierce let them have the focus of the offense. Right now ray and rondo look aweful so he is stepping up as a true leader should.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 02:03:25 PM by hpantazo »

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 02:02:01 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
alot of thats pauls fault, he's nearly always the trailer. He doesn't really motor down the floor like he did all last season. Though, he has picked the running in transition up the last 3 games.

I'm not talking about him shooting the three as the trailer on a fast break. Since he has been our best three point shooter this season I think that's an excellent option.
I'm talking about when everyone else dilly-dallies with the ball trying to get their own shot and then throws it out to Pierce with 3 seconds on the shot clock as a last resort.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 02:04:03 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I'm not talking about him shooting the three as the trailer on a fast break. Since he has been our best three point shooter this season I think that's an excellent option.
I'm talking about when everyone else dilly-dallies with the ball trying to get their own shot and then throws it out to Pierce with 3 seconds on the shot clock as a last resort.

I understand he's great with the trailing three, but we are 10x better when he runs the break, then teams can't cheat to KG.

Last year, he ran every single night.

This year he runs it sometimes, but he seems to tire and take trips off.

I think 120 games +19 super intense games is catching up with all of the team, personaly.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »

Offline albas89

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

I think it's because he always steps up when we need him. When we were winning 27 out of 29 the other guys, especially ray and rondo, were on big time and pierce let them have the focus of the offense. Right now ray and rondo look aweful so he is stepping up as a true leader should.

TP! I think he's not defending like he did in the past few games but he has to focus on offense because we have a big big problem on scoring lately and the captain has just stepped up! I simply think that it's a bad coincidence, really, while PP is on top form offensively, everybody else is struggling! I think that if one of Rondo-Allen-Garnett was at least satisfying, we would have won half of the games we lost....
"Life has so many hurdles. Some of them I've hopped over, some of them I've tripped over. The key is to get back up and finish the race."- Paul Pierce

And he did finish...

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Perhaps he's picking his spots but I'd like for him to be much more aggressive in driving the lane. He's shot well from the field, but he's much more dangerous if he attacks the basket and gets the other team in foul trouble. It's weird seeing him giving up good opportunities to score to try and maintain the ball movement to a point where he's being overly unselfish. Often times, he's got the hot hand near the end of games and gives it up. 

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Pierce really hasn't been playing any different than he has all year. He simply is now hitting his shots. All year he's trailed on the break. He still is only now he's hitting that three. He's been passing less and less this year off the dribble to the point where if he starts to dribble towrds the basket, you can almost guarantee he's going to shoot. His assists per game are at the lowest point of his career since the 01-02 "just give me the ball and let me shoot" days of Jimmy O'Brien.

Pierce has been cheating towards the lane all year long and leaving his man open on the perimeter. He's still doing it. He's been basically being a one man show every time he brings the ball up all year and that hasn't changed. He's been turning the ball over a lot all year and that hasn't changed.

I love Pierce but before we crown him the only player playing well let's realize that only one thing has changed in his game all year. That being that before his shots weren't going in and now they are. Other than FG% his game hasn't gotten better or worse.

And he has been averaging 13 shots per game over the last ten games because that's how much he's supposed to take.

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 03:36:11 PM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
Pierce has been cheating towards the lane all year long and leaving his man open on the perimeter. He's still doing it. He's been basically being a one man show every time he brings the ball up all year and that hasn't changed. He's been turning the ball over a lot all year and that hasn't changed.

Uh, our team defense for the last two years has always had the weak side defender cheating toward the lane, and for very good reason.  The man closest to the basket is always the most dangerous and someone has to cover him when a big steps out to rotate.  You can't get from the sideline to the paint quicker than the ball.  Therefore the weakside defender ALWAYS plays near the paint. No matter who the weakside defender is.
 Pierce isn't doing anything differently defensivley this year than he was last.  What is happening is we are not rotating as a team the way we should.  Rondo has been one of the biggest culprits.  Once his man gets by him Rondo gives up on defense.
Case in point last night.  Rondo let his man get past him.  Pierce had to stop the ball.  Then Pierce had to recover to the three point shooter too.  Once Rondo's guy got past him he should have automatically picked up the guy in the corner.  Instead he stood and watched.

And he has been averaging 13 shots per game over the last ten games because that's how much he's supposed to take.

I didn't know we had a quota.  If that's the case then I'll be jumping on the fire Doc bandwagon.
If you have one guy who is shooting well and four that aren't then the one guy who is shooting well [dang] well better be getting more shots.  PERIOD!

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 03:51:28 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
God bless and good night!

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 03:53:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Pierce has been great Doc has not been. If we had a coach who could pull out a close game we wouldnt be in this slump. 50 seconds left, give it to pierce for a quick shot, then 10 seconds left give it to rondo to dribble it out...That is thinking in reverse logic and he underperformed with those two play calls.