Author Topic: cleveland game....  (Read 11217 times)

Re: cleveland game....
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2009, 02:05:26 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
you win with rookie bench players who contribute in limited time. no ones advocating him being our 6th man.
If he was ready to contribute this year he wouldn't be in the D-League.  I'm all for seeing if Pruitt can do something because he's been around a bit, but at this point in the season you need consistency from all your role players -- not a decent game one night and nothing for the next two weeks.

Take it to the bank that Walker won't be a rotation player this year unless they get croaked by injuries -- in which case repeating as champs will not longer be an issue.

I disagree, also, this EXACT argument was made when BBD wasen't sent to the d-league last year, that he didn't have a shot at cracking our rotation and would be wasted playing 2 minutes a night.

How's that go?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2009, 02:07:54 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
I think win if we don't turn the ball over. TO's had been killing us all season and against good teams TO could turn a close game to a blowout. I still can't explain the reason for the high TO's, is it carelessness?

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
I think win if we don't turn the ball over. TO's had been killing us all season and against good teams TO could turn a close game to a blowout. I still can't explain the reason for the high TO's, is it carelessness?

we had high TO numbers last year too. I again theroize its because other teams tend to pass one to twice a possesion and we sometimes pass 5-6.

More passes= more turnover chances.

regardless though, we need to protect the rock.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

I disagree, also, this EXACT argument was made when BBD wasen't sent to the d-league last year, that he didn't have a shot at cracking our rotation and would be wasted playing 2 minutes a night.

How's that go?
Point taken.  However, what is it that we would be expecting Walker to do?  Guard Lebron? score 8-10 points a game? rebound? Replace what Posey took with him?  

If Tony Allen is seriously hurt they may have to use him as a stop gap, but it's not like this is a guy taken in the first half of the draft.  

Danny hit the jackpot with BBD last year, expecting it to happen again with Walker this year to me is a reach.  And if he were to be the main option off the bench at the 3, forget about winning this year.  They've already got one unproven guy they're taking a long look at -- Pruitt.  Any more getting regular minutes and you can officially declare the bench as 'weak' -- if that's not already obvious.

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2009, 02:41:42 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

How's that go?
Point taken.  However, what is it that we would be expecting Walker to do?  Guard Lebron? score 8-10 points a game? rebound? Replace what Posey took with him?  

If Tony Allen is seriously hurt they may have to use him as a stop gap, but it's not like this is a guy taken in the first half of the draft.  

Danny hit the jackpot with BBD last year, expecting it to happen again with Walker this year to me is a reach.  And if he were to be the main option off the bench at the 3, forget about winning this year.  They've already got one unproven guy they're taking a long look at -- Pruitt.  Any more getting regular minutes and you can officially declare the bench as 'weak' -- if that's not already obvious.

no, i expect him to gaurd the opposing teams bench SF for the 4-8 minutes a night that scal and tony are currently making him look like a superstar for.

and its not so much an endorsment of Walker's abilityis, its a dismissal of the turnover tony/ scal combo thats doing aboEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ly nothing right now.

Tony's injury has actually IMPROVED our gaurd situation off the bench if you want my opnion. it lets pruitt play, and so far im waaayyyy more confident with him in than tony.

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2009, 02:53:02 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

and its not so much an endorsment of Walker's abilityis, its a dismissal of the turnover tony/ scal combo thats doing aboEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ly nothing right now.

Tony's injury has actually IMPROVED our gaurd situation off the bench if you want my opnion. it lets pruitt play, and so far im waaayyyy more confident with him in than tony.

I'm Endorsing Walker's Abilities.

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
you win with rookie bench players who contribute in limited time. no ones advocating him being our 6th man.
If he was ready to contribute this year he wouldn't be in the D-League.  I'm all for seeing if Pruitt can do something because he's been around a bit, but at this point in the season you need consistency from all your role players -- not a decent game one night and nothing for the next two weeks.

Take it to the bank that Walker won't be a rotation player this year unless they get croaked by injuries -- in which case repeating as champs will not longer be an issue.

Wrong.  Ainge was just on WEEI and said he's watched all of JR and Walker's games and thinks these guys can contribute in the NBA right now, but the reason they are not is that there isn't enough playing time right now on the Celtics roster.  I disagree that there isn't enough playing time though, because one of them should be taking Tony's minutes.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 06:08:28 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Draft position can be irrelevant. Look at the 2003 Draft, you had Steve Blake, Keith Bogans, Matt Bonner, Willie Green, Zaza Pachulia, James Jones and Kyle Kover taken 38th or higher. I'd take any of those guys for our bench.

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2009, 01:33:06 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Draft position can be irrelevant. Look at the 2003 Draft, you had Steve Blake, Keith Bogans, Matt Bonner, Willie Green, Zaza Pachulia, James Jones and Kyle Kover taken 38th or higher. I'd take any of those guys for our bench.

Take that back about ZaZa!

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 02:34:04 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

Take that back about ZaZa!

Why should he ZaZa is a quality backup big man, spot start.  I don't like him because of the things he does, plus he plays for Atlanta but I wouldn't mind having him on the Celtics at this point in time at all.

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2009, 02:58:40 AM »

Offline Scalablob990

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 83
  • The REAL Pau Gasol
Doc better roll the die and use young blood in this game because our big three can't be hauling 40+ minutes anymore to win a game. LBJ will probably play the entire game if it's close so we need to hope for a stop on him when Pierce goes to the bench. Not realistic, but I would use Walker on him to see what happens. With Pruitt getting better right now I actually don't see where Giddens comes into effect unless he can double as a 3?. We need a SF (walker) but the SG and PG areas I think are full to the brim right now which leaves Giddens with little to do IMO.
True Celtic = Leon Powe

Bring back the show!!!!

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2009, 06:19:55 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I think we should use Bill to spell Paul, just let him chase down LeBron and put in 100% effort on the defensive end.

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2009, 07:33:38 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
i agree with everyone here whos saying bill walker should get a crack at lebron tonight, but honestly i dont think we'll see bill in the game unless its a giant blowout or if pierce gets into bad foul trouble.  i think itll be a team effort on lebron tonight and doc will probably try to match pauls minutes with lebron tonight.  i believe this was the case in the first game, i only remember seeing one possesion in that game where tony had to guard lbj.

does anyone even know if bill or j.r. is gonna even dress?  if not the point is moot.
Greg

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2009, 08:09:24 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Is this thread going to be the game thread?
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2009, 08:25:29 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
you don't know what you got in pruitt, walker and giddens UNLESS YOU PLAY THEM!!! give them a chance. They don't have to come in and score 30 points a game...as for the Cavs...I just can't see them winning in Cleveland. They struggle big time there...and make no mistake..the Cavs are looking to destroy Boston tonight. if boston doesn't match that intensity it will be over quick. i think the Cavs win by 12 and the tailspin continues.