Author Topic: Celts beat by PHYSICAL play..!  (Read 2568 times)

Celts beat by PHYSICAL play..!
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:31:56 PM »

Offline Spfldkid

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 30
 One glaring problem is that other teams now see that if you push, hack, and get really rough with the Celts, they wither away..! We need a Greg Kite (Scal?) An enforcer, give them back what they throw at us..! Juwan Howard floored BBD, what did anyone do about it..nothing! Gasol floored Rondo, whqat did we do about it, nothing..? Where is your heart? The refs will not bail us out anymore, in fact, they cannot be expected to even call fouls! The Bobcats hacked the hell out of the Celts, but must have gotten a Jordan pass to get away with it...! Of course Perk needs to STAY DOWN LOW on Defense, we haven't been covering the basiline or the paint well, no boxing out, no screen rotation! The
Knicks kicked Garnett, what the hey! BRING IT..! Give it as hard as you get it, let the league figure it out. Did Howard get a fine for that? I doubt it. That was major league HACK, CLOTHESLINE..! Come on!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 06:43:55 PM by Redz »

Re: Cets beat by PHYSICAL play..!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:40:46 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Spfldkid,

I was at the game and I TOTALLY agree with you.  The Bobbiecats hacked the heck out of us and got away with it all night and we never really fought back.  You are completely correct.

Smitty77

Re: Celts beat by PHYSICAL play..!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:42:11 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
toughness is another thing we lost without posey. scal should be our hack man.i'm not talking ron artest b.s. cheapshots or bruce bowen cowardly career threatening fouls but ..right.. just someone to retaliate after some of this b.s.   WOW! i'm a whiner. just got back from the game. thank god there were'nt any children around my seat. i dropped some serious f bombsat artest's antics.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 11:50:21 PM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Getting a taste of our own medicine and we dont like it
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 12:30:10 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Retaliation = fines + suspension.

Subtle preemption = intimidation.

This is the Posey factor that we are lacking.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 12:50:14 AM »

Offline NoraG1

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 108

Maybe, but I find it a bit hard to believe that this is the only stretch of time teams have been physical with the C's.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:13:46 AM »

Offline Jaycelt

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 7

Maybe, but I find it a bit hard to believe that this is the only stretch of time teams have been physical with the C's.

You're correct, it's not. Teams did the same thing with us last year. 
Thing is I've seen the Celtics mix it up themselves.  Elbows have flown.  Hard fouls have been administered.  I think we aren't as quick to notice when we are on the giving end as when we are on the receiving end.
We also tend to forget that this is not our fathers NBA.
You can't get away with things that players did a couple of decades ago. Stern has a death grip on this league and we all know that he has no love lost for the Celtics. 
We've already seen instances where he's been much harder while dealing out penalties on our guys than other players around the league.  As thin as we are we can't afford to have anyone miss multiple games due to a league suspension.  And we certainly can't afford to lose a starter.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 12:24:49 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
The physical is part of the reason they are losing these games, but not the only reason.  If you look at the Celtis through the first 29 games of the season, they consistently beat there opponenents in assists, rebounds, fg% and points in the paint.  In these last 6 losses, the opponent has beaten them in at least one, and you usually more than one of those categories.

The assists have to do with ball movement and easy baskets.  Before, the Celtics would play great defense and force players to go one-on-one and take bad shots.  Now, holes are opening up and giving claer lanes to the basket with the ability to dump it off for an easy two.

This is also a reason why the opposition is shooting a better % from the field.  They're not settling for bad shots, because they know if they move the ball around a little more, and attack the basket, they'll get better shots.

The rebounding definitely has to do with physical play.  The opposition is getting to the balls first, and out-muscling our players.

But the most glaring thing to me has been points in the paint.  This has been the Celtics staple.  They would always outscore the opponent in this area, and usually by a huge margin.  This was because they would look for the best shot on offense, but more importantly, they took pride in not allowing any easy baskets.  This is no longer the case, as evidenced by all the dunks and layups they've been giving up lately.

As has been said time and time again, it all starts on the defensive end, and it's no coincidence that these losses are coming at a time when the Celtics are not playing there type of defense.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 01:13:16 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
What about lack of mental toughness? I'm sure that has been mentioned by other bloggers lately. This loss of form can be attributed to nothing other than lack of mental toughness. THe decision making is bad to say the least. The team appears worn out. It seems that the Celtics have played 10% more games than anyone else out there. Where has Rondo and Perkins been lately? I don't have time to review all the boxscores and stint analysis but I am sure that the production of those two players have slipped.

And isn't it odd that the Celtics started losing right when Marbury's name was being linked to the Celtics? YEEEESHH!
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Yea i went to the Rockets game last night and i'd have to say that the intensity just isnt there right now.  I think that fatigue is really starting to set in, i don't know if it's physical or mental or both, but i just couldn't believe what i was watching - there's no excuse for scoring 11 points in the 4th quarter at home and against a Rockets team with Von Wafer in for TMac.

Rondo did not bring his game, he was consistenly outplayed by Alston and Brooks, and Perk did not bring his muscle, he was barely visible out there.  Kg was ultimately the most unimpressive though.  He was killing it in the 1st quarter but then ALLOWED Chuck Hayes to bully him in the post and force him into contested fadeaways from 18 feet.  Chuck Hayes!!!

Physicality has a lot to go with energy and effort.  Hopefully after they get out of this road-heavy part of the schedule things will start to turn around.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 01:29:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We stood up to them verbally and physcially when pushed but we did not match their overall energy level.  If we are going be known for running our mouths we have to be able to match other team's intensity or we may as well shut up.  I would have loved to see Walker against Artest.  Walker got very feisty the last time he went against the Rockets.