Poll

What contract would you give Derick White?

4/100, 25 million a year
1 (3.8%)
4/120, 30 million a year, his max extension
5 (19.2%)
4/140, 35 million a year
5 (19.2%)
4/160, 40 million a year
9 (34.6%)
4/180, 45 million a year
4 (15.4%)
4/200, 50 million a year (about his max if he goes all the way to free agency).
2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: What do you think Derrick White is worth?  (Read 3006 times)

smokeablount, Silas, blink and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: What do you think Derick White is worth?
« Reply #45 on: Yesterday at 08:32:53 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Definitely some overhype going on.  White is doing great but he's also benefiting by playing on a team loaded with talent.  He's worth Jrue's contract and maybe a bit more.  He's not a Max guy.  He's certainly not a #1 on a team.  Not sure which teams he'd even be #2.   

I thought it would be interesting to see where D White may rank on the other teams in the playoffs this year.

East

(2) New York = tied 3rd / 4th with Anunoby behind Brunson and Randle
(3) Milwaukee = 3rd behind Giannis and Lillard
(4) Cleveland = hard to say. A better fit next to D Mitchell than Garland is. I am not sure D White is better individually but I do like his fit better than Garland. You would trade Garland for a wing. Better than Mobley. Better than J Allen? Yeah, I think so. I'll go 2nd best player.

(5) Orlando = 2nd/3rd best player behind Banchero. Main guard on team. Competes with F Wagner for 2nd or 3rd option.
(6) Indiana = great fit next to Haliburton. Probably close in value to Siakam as 2nd best Pacers player. M Turner not far behind. Three fairly similar talents. A Big Four.
(7) Philly = 3rd best player behind Embiid and Maxey
[8] Miami = 3rd best player behind Jimmy and Bam

West

(1) Denver = 3rd best player behind Jokic and J Murray
(2) OKC = 3rd / 4th best player behind SGA and Jalen Williams. Chet is still developing. D White the 3rd best player now but maybe not for long. Maybe Chet overtakes him soon.
(3) Minny = 4th best player after Ant, Towns and Gobert
(4) Dallas = 3rd best player after Luka & Kyrie

(5) LAC = this is hard to say. I'd take Harden over D White. Kawhi is always injured. Is is fair to take Kawhi over D White? Certainly when healthy. But he is so injured. I'd take D White over PG13 at this point. I am that disappointed in his play. So White is either #2 or #3 depending on how you judge Kawhi and his injury proneness.

(6) Phoenix = #3 option behind Durant and D Booker
(7) New Orleans = #3 option behind Ingram and Zion. You could make a case for D White ahead of Ingram. He is a serial choker. I would take D White over McCollum as the 3rd option next to those two young scorers.
[8] LA Lakers = #3 option behind AD and LeBron.

#3 option on an awful lot of those teams.
#3 can often get max money.

Speaks highly of D White and his market value.
you are definitely overrating White.
I’m not sure about that. DWhite is currently playing like an all star. Jalen Brunson was overrated, until he wasn’t.
Brunson was not overrated and was always better than White.

White is a good player, can fit in many systems, and would be great to keep. But White is also not a 1st, 2nd, or maybe even 3rd option type player.  He has no elite skills and is not a difference maker.  He will also be 30 when next year starts.  I'd love to keep him, but if he gets much more than Jrue got, it will be a pretty significant overpay.  The team simply can't sustain paying 5 guys 25% or more of the cap either.  Just too much money for expected production.

As for my overrating comment, calling White better than someone like Garland is ridiculous.  I think Mobley is better as well, but that is at least closer.  Holmgren is clearly already better than White. OG is better than White. I think right now, Middleton and White are very similar level if players. Franz Wagner is significantly better than White and frankly with how good Suggs on ball defense is, he might be better as well (Suggs also scores at basically the same rate in the 1.32 points per shot range). White isn't better than Beal, nor Ingram or McCollum either.  White is a nice fine all around player, but he isn't a difference maker, he isn't a reliable enough scoter to be a 3rd option. I'd be happy to keep him, but you can't break the bank and I do think the team chose Jrue over him, because I just don't think they will pay White what Jrue got and you basically have to optically.

You’re all over the place. You are talking about expected production, then discussing Bradley Beal as better than D White. You think Beal’s best days are ahead of him? Did you see him in PHX? White could definitely have better stats in SA, but he got traded to a loaded team. Also, why do you tend to gloss over defense?
I posted Beal's stats in Phoenix. They look exactly like White's but with a few extra points.  Beal's efficiency was significantly better as a 3rd option rather than the 1st option. Strange how that works.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: What do you think Derrick White is worth?
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 09:09:35 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1583
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 09:39:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
What Derrick says reWhite is worth versus what he could get as a free agent versus what he may end up taking are all different things. The extension with an option year and a trade kicker is not a horrible deal. I doubt he gets really big money as a free agent.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:46:56 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #48 on: Yesterday at 09:53:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What Derrick says reWhite is worth versus what he could get as a free agent versus what he may end up taking are all different things. The extension with an option year and a trade kicker is not a horrible deal. I doubt he gets really big money as a free agent.

Why do you doubt he would get big money? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 10:09:14 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Yeah, I agree with Roy here. I think at least one GM is watching right now. He's playing a winning brand of basketball, unlike many maxed out "first options". People freaked out about JB's deal, and they will continue to gasp at the astronomical NBA contracts awarded.

White plays defense and makes meaningful plays for a contending team. Another team will want that experience.

« Reply #50 on: Today at 10:00:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Came back down to earth tonight. Hopefully not a sign of things to come, but the shooting numbers in the playoffs are now more in line with his season numbers. 

« Reply #51 on: Today at 10:03:35 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Came back down to earth tonight. Hopefully not a sign of things to come, but the shooting numbers in the playoffs are now more in line with his season numbers.

This was like 2022 playoffs Derrick White. Hopefully he pulls himself back up - he more than most players seems to thrive off of confidence.

« Reply #52 on: Today at 10:05:31 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421

This was like 2022 playoffs Derrick White. Hopefully he pulls himself back up - he more than most players seems to thrive off of confidence.

D White did the same last year as well. He lit up Atlanta in the first round for 17ppg and then disappeared in the 2nd round against Philly with only 9ppg.

« Reply #53 on: Today at 10:37:17 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

D White did the same last year as well. He lit up Atlanta in the first round for 17ppg and then disappeared in the 2nd round against Philly with only 9ppg.
Right because he isn't a difference maker type player and has no elite skills.  We as fans often let single games or small sample sizes dictate how we feel and don't think about the eventual regression to the mean that always happens.  White is an excellent role player. Glad to have him and the trade to acquire him was great, but reading this thread you'd think he was Lebron in his prime.  He isn't that and expecting him to be that will only set you up for let down.

« Reply #54 on: Today at 10:41:11 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1491

Right because he isn't a difference maker type player and has no elite skills.  We as fans often let single games or small sample sizes dictate how we feel and don't think about the eventual regression to the mean that always happens.  White is an excellent role player. Glad to have him and the trade to acquire him was great, but reading this thread you'd think he was Lebron in his prime.  He isn't that and expecting him to be that will only set you up for let down.

you don't think his def all season has been elite?  really? 

« Reply #55 on: Today at 11:16:18 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

No I don't think he is an elite defender. He isn't a guy that is going to be in the discussion for DPOY.  He is an excellent defender, but he doesn't generate elite level takeaways, he isn't super fast or athletic, etc. He is a step below guys like Caruso, Suggs, and SGA, all of which I'd classify as elite guard defenders. 

« Reply #56 on: Today at 11:38:45 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454

No I don't think he is an elite defender. He isn't a guy that is going to be in the discussion for DPOY.  He is an excellent defender, but he doesn't generate elite level takeaways, he isn't super fast or athletic, etc. He is a step below guys like Caruso, Suggs, and SGA, all of which I'd classify as elite guard defenders.

Well, Jrue disagrees, “Jrue Holiday: "The way that he defends sometimes, I'm like, I'm amazed... I've done some crazy stuff, but D-White is amazing on defense"

Also, White made the All Defensive team last year, so I’m pretty sure that means he’s an elite defender.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.