Author Topic: Celtics will not win a title with Horford under contract  (Read 2892 times)

Re: Celtics will not win a title with Horford under contract
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 03:31:24 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

What I mean by this is we will not win this year or the next two years when he will make almost 30 million per year.

If he resigns on a more team friendly deal then it's possible. That is the time frame where I expect us to be serious title contenders, but we will need to sign a new star at that point. Is Davis a free agent in two and a half years?

That would be perfect.
Can I take back some Tommy Boys on this post.  Al Is in the All Star game. Top 24 player and you write this post. Wow!!! Back to Reddit for me because this place goes down every single day.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 04:36:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mean, sure, probably not. Are you implying that there is some kind of causation there? The Celtics are almost certainly not winning a title in the next two to three years anyway. Al Horford is part of the solution, not part of the problem.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 05:01:20 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I mean, sure, probably not. Are you implying that there is some kind of causation there? The Celtics are almost certainly not winning a title in the next two to three years anyway. Al Horford is part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Agree phosita. He is an allstar and there was some debate on him starting. He isn't the problem

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 06:08:30 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Boy, this was an optimistic thread   :)

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 08:47:09 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
I love this forum, but the redundancy of pessimistic and just flat-out false information, (not gonna state any names, but someone created a thread that actually said Smart was better than Horford,) has really just upset me. I think I'm going to take a month long break from this website. It also saddens me that someone like Horford is so underappreciated here.... Can you believe that several years ago, we had Sullinger, Lee, Mickey, Jerebko, KO, and several others as our big man rotation? Hands down, I take Horford at his max even now compared to any of the big men on our team from 2015-2016.

Big Al Horford does NOT get enough credit for being the Anchor of our Defense.

Marcus being out hurts, no doubt, but Big Al simply doesn't get enough credit it seems.

He is one of the most well-rounded Bigs in the NBA right now.

Agreed. This guy is literally in the conversation for DPOY right now. He's shooting a blistering 43.6% from 3, and averaging 5 APG which leads our team.

Hey Monk. I appreciate you and respect you. It's not a hate Horford thread, it's just more of a matter of fact thread, like Roy said we won't be able to beat GS the next two years, so while we can wait. Tatum, can Brown, and be Hayward won't be ready to win for be another Two years. Kyrie will be about 28 when we win our first title IMO.

Horford is still a key piece in turning it around. He just might not get to see the ring that's all.

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 09:20:49 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I love this forum, but the redundancy of pessimistic and just flat-out false information, (not gonna state any names, but someone created a thread that actually said Smart was better than Horford,) has really just upset me. I think I'm going to take a month long break from this website. It also saddens me that someone like Horford is so underappreciated here.... Can you believe that several years ago, we had Sullinger, Lee, Mickey, Jerebko, KO, and several others as our big man rotation? Hands down, I take Horford at his max even now compared to any of the big men on our team from 2015-2016.

Big Al Horford does NOT get enough credit for being the Anchor of our Defense.

Marcus being out hurts, no doubt, but Big Al simply doesn't get enough credit it seems.

He is one of the most well-rounded Bigs in the NBA right now.

Agreed. This guy is literally in the conversation for DPOY right now. He's shooting a blistering 43.6% from 3, and averaging 5 APG which leads our team.

Hey Monk. I appreciate you and respect you. It's not a hate Horford thread, it's just more of a matter of fact thread, like Roy said we won't be able to beat GS the next two years, so while we can wait. Tatum, can Brown, and be Hayward won't be ready to win for be another Two years. Kyrie will be about 28 when we win our first title IMO.

Horford is still a key piece in turning it around. He just might not get to see the ring that's all.
So I take it you favor trading Horford for A. Davis?  Otherwise, I see no basis for your conclusion or for your original premise.

I'm with monk on this one.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 09:45:39 AM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I don't think so either but I don't think it'd be because of his contract. It's because KD went to GS. Durant was reported to have wanted to play alongside Horford, so Horford's signing made sense. Since Durant chose GS, it made the C's tie up salary for above average but not elite talent or max level talent.

This will restrict the C's from making moves in the future and by the time his contract expires, the C's gotta get ready to pay the youngins.

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Does anybody think horford wont be a valuable contributor in his mid thirties? Imagine David west but with three point range.

I could definitely see Al reupping with the Celts for a reduced salary in a couple years and contributing to a title run as the fifth or sixth man.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 11:33:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Does anybody think horford wont be a valuable contributor in his mid thirties? Imagine David west but with three point range.

I could definitely see Al reupping with the Celts for a reduced salary in a couple years and contributing to a title run as the fifth or sixth man.

I think 100% of Cs fans would be psyched with this outcome. I guess it all depends on what 'reduced salary' means to Horford and Ainge and if they can come to an agreement that works for both of them.