Author Topic: CP3 Waived by the Suns  (Read 8080 times)

Re: CP3 Waived by the Suns
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2023, 12:57:46 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
CP3 is cooked. There’s a reason why a team with multiple stars and championship aspirations waived him. The only way I would see him here is if he agrees to come off the bench.

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2023, 01:00:40 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Alternatively is that this is the first step to Phoenix blowing up the team and going full rebuild mode
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2023, 02:38:23 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I hear he's not actually been waived yet, but they are discussing it?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2023, 05:09:27 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Sounds like Chris got it wrong? Woj said they told him there is a possibility he could be waived. That sounds very different to me

Worth keeping in mind Woj and CP3 are both represented by CAA, so anything you hear from Woj is coming from Chris's agents. They certainly want the story to be about the size of the contract, rather than the poor play/age/injury history
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2023, 05:24:47 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Alternatively is that this is the first step to Phoenix blowing up the team and going full rebuild mode
Durant can’t be happy with that..he should sign with Celtics awhile back
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2023, 09:43:19 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I've been thinking about it. Even with his flaws, I think if you add CP3 to a reasonable deal, and then deal one of Smart/Brogdon + picks to acquire another big man, that rounds out the roster very well, and gives the C's a legit PG who can make things easier and facilitate (play more to their role). CP3 wouldn't need to be a primary scoring option on the team so there's no immense pressure on him either.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2023, 10:27:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am still seeing that nothing is official, correct?  That he might be waived, there may be on going discussions but nothing official?

In any case, I don't see a fit for Chris Paul on the Celtics.  Even if released and willing to sign a vet min, there will be other places more attractive to him.  So the Celtics don't need him and he isn't going to want to come here anyway.

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2023, 10:34:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
 Would love to have him but I see it as a longshot/pipedream

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2023, 10:36:04 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I am still seeing that nothing is official, correct?  That he might be waived, there may be on going discussions but nothing official?

In any case, I don't see a fit for Chris Paul on the Celtics.  Even if released and willing to sign a vet min, there will be other places more attractive to him.  So the Celtics don't need him and he isn't going to want to come here anyway.

I think you're correct that he's got preferable destinations readily available.  Heck, one destination would be back to the Suns.  The Lakers are obviously out there, too.

As for whether we need him...  "Need" isn't the right word, but I expect our offense would be better with him as PG.  The defense would suffer.  I guess it would depend on which our brain trust wants to emphasize.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2023, 01:07:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

I think you're correct that he's got preferable destinations readily available.  Heck, one destination would be back to the Suns.  The Lakers are obviously out there, too.

As for whether we need him...  "Need" isn't the right word, but I expect our offense would be better with him as PG.  The defense would suffer.  I guess it would depend on which our brain trust wants to emphasize.

I remember in bubble how Brad spoke so glowingly about CP as his Thunder team dismantled Celtics. Spoke of how Paul was such a great communicator on the court.

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2023, 01:45:06 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

I remember in bubble how Brad spoke so glowingly about CP as his Thunder team dismantled Celtics. Spoke of how Paul was such a great communicator on the court.

He's unquestionably one of the best point guards to ever play the game. His lack of postseason success is very (singularly?) peculiar.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2023, 09:14:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He's unquestionably one of the best point guards to ever play the game. His lack of postseason success is very (singularly?) peculiar.
Is it?  Stockton, Nash, and Paul never won and Kidd and Payton picked their 1 title up long after their prime (they were still important contributors but not the guy).  Heck even Oscar's only title came at the end of his career when he ended up with Kareem in Milwaukee.  Magic, Curry, and Cousy are the only all time great PG's with more than 2 titles (Thomas and Frazier each have 2).  Parker might be the only other HOF PG with more than 2.  PG's tend to be small and small guys don't tend to have the great post season success.  Cousy ended up with Russell and Magic was built like a PF (or modern center).  Curry and Thomas are the only 2 PG's in history to have at least 2 titles as their teams best player and they both only have 2 with that criteria.  So Paul not winning a title isn't exactly peculiar for all time great PG's. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2023, 11:09:37 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
I’ve wanted to bring CP3 in since he went on the market in New Orleans. Then, he became untouchable on the Clippers and we went through a rebuild so no need for him.

That was reignited after the Bubble ECF loss. My reasoning was that this team needed a floor general that controls the game, improves ball security and 4th quarter execution without getting abused on the defensive end like Kemba.

Three seasons later and the team suffers from the same flaws. The weaknesses of the core are redundant with the Jays having shaky handles with them and Smart having questionable late game decision making.

I can see CP3 being a valuable bench player that helps elevate the IQ of the team in crucial moments. If he’s ready and willing to accept a smaller role to get us over the hump, he should be a high on the target list.

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2023, 03:25:57 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Paul not gotta leave the West coast plus his family lives in LA
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2023, 05:16:32 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

Is it?  Stockton, Nash, and Paul never won and Kidd and Payton picked their 1 title up long after their prime (they were still important contributors but not the guy).  Heck even Oscar's only title came at the end of his career when he ended up with Kareem in Milwaukee.  Magic, Curry, and Cousy are the only all time great PG's with more than 2 titles (Thomas and Frazier each have 2).  Parker might be the only other HOF PG with more than 2.  PG's tend to be small and small guys don't tend to have the great post season success.  Cousy ended up with Russell and Magic was built like a PF (or modern center).  Curry and Thomas are the only 2 PG's in history to have at least 2 titles as their teams best player and they both only have 2 with that criteria.  So Paul not winning a title isn't exactly peculiar for all time great PG's.

If your only measure for postseason success is a championship, sure - but you'll notice I never said that. A player of his calibre only making it out of the second round twice feels very singular - half as many times as Stockton and Nash, one fewer than Kidd. There's also an argument that he never did it as the team's best player, depending on how you feel about the Phoenix roster that made the Finals - although I don't put much stock in that. Do we have any other surefire HoF player who's been so absent from deep postseason runs?

He's also infamously the league leader in blown 2-0 series playoff leads, which feeds into the 3-1 collapses he's been a part of as well.

All timer. Peculiarly bad postseason luck.