Author Topic: Kobe Bryant, Daughter and 7 Others Killed in Helicopter Crash  (Read 24492 times)

Re: TMZ Report: Kobe Killed in Helicopter Crash
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
There’s a time and a place to discuss Kobe’s faults. Today isn’t the time and this thread isn’t the place.

If you don’t want to honor him, remember that he left behind a family that is now mourning the loss of a father and sister.
I understand your point but disagree. CS is not in the business of writing hagiography.

The action in this thread is fast and furious right now, I understand that as well.

But for now, I believe all topics are legitimate if honestly and fully discussed and we all benefit from such a discussion.  It is not proper to act as if half a story is the only story.

It is not, and should not, be required that CS say only good things about the dead.

Mention of the rape by Bryant would be most certainly out place at his funeral. But it would not be out of place on a news broadcast about him. CS is closer to the latter than it is the former, thank goodness.

But most certainly, there should be no personal insults aimed at individual posters.

But bring it up on an other day. We're not even 12 hours after the crash. His wife lost a husband and a daughter today. I try to say things online I would in person. Say those things in front of their family. In front of teammates like Shaq. I dare you.
let's not turn personal please, as i mentioned above. and as was stated in my post, not all public venues are the same. the title of this thead is about news, not a funeral attended by those close to kobe and his family.

perhaps we should create thread for non-critical mourning, which would be appropriate. and another for news. i may have mistaken this for the latter instead of the former.

Roy, if i may, perhaps you could break out this thread into such a format?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2020, 06:11:19 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
There’s a time and a place to discuss Kobe’s faults. Today isn’t the time and this thread isn’t the place.

If you don’t want to honor him, remember that he left behind a family that is now mourning the loss of a father and sister.
I understand your point but disagree. CS is not in the business of writing hagiography.

The action in this thread is fast and furious right now, I understand that as well.

But for now, I believe all topics are legitimate if honestly and fully discussed and we all benefit from such a discussion.  It is not proper to act as if half a story is the only story.

It is not, and should not, be required that CS say only good things about the dead.

Mention of the rape by Bryant would be most certainly out place at his funeral. But it would not be out of place on a news broadcast about him. CS is closer to the latter than it is the former, thank goodness.

But most certainly, there should be no personal insults aimed at individual posters.

But bring it up on an other day. We're not even 12 hours after the crash. His wife lost a husband and a daughter today. I try to say things online I would in person. Say those things in front of their family. In front of teammates like Shaq. I dare you.

+1.  Save it for another thread / another day.

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2020, 06:12:20 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Geez the way people are talking about this guy on tv is sickening.  It’s sad for his kids and family but the world is going to just fine without him.  He used to put a ball in a basket.  Sorry but the coverage is so over the top and lacks perspective.

Its a story about a sports Icon. There should be huge coverage and expected reaction from a majority of people. Sports still matter. Basketball is a big sport.

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2020, 06:14:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I appreciate the sentiment, but CS does indeed have rules about this, and they’re consistent with what I posted above.
honestly roy, and you know the type of poster i am here, would you please show me exactly where it says we can post something negative about a dead person in one thread, but not another? i write this because that does seem to be what is being stated.

if it is such a rule, i will certainly abide by it. thanks.

1.  See:

Posters should appreciate that in many instances, commentary that would otherwise be appropriate may not be appropriate in a specific thread (i.e., bringing up rumors of alleged cocaine use by a beloved player in a tribute thread dedicated to the memory of that player, etc.)

2.  You’re a good poster, so I’m sure you understand this, but even without that rule a mod’s request to stop doing something is enough.
thanks roy for the rule in question. as ever, you are professional and i am glad you are a mod here.

but my request above stands - perhaps break out this thread into two thread?

p. s. i only accept the second point if we are allowed to lodge at least one protest post.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2020, 06:16:40 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Icon in sports .  R.I.P.  Kobe my favorite Laker and daughter Gianna

Heart goes out to the rest of his family, wife and friends .

Gods speed Kobe  :-[
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:53:20 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2020, 06:17:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Never forget that he raped someone
In all fairness soccer fans are much worse than you ... especially the ones in poorer countries
and your tweet is worse than his
Celticsbaby89,
17 posts...
We’re you banned and came back like the legend of the Phoenix?

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2020, 06:24:43 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

let's not turn personal please, as i mentioned above. and as was stated in my post, not all public venues are the same. the title of this thead is about news, not a funeral attended by those close to kobe and his family.

perhaps we should create thread for non-critical mourning, which would be appropriate. and another for news. i may have mistaken this for the latter instead of the former.

Roy, if i may, perhaps you could break out this thread into such a format?

No trying to make it personal. Not directed at any one person. Thete is a time and place. People need to have more respect for their families.

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2020, 06:26:52 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Geez the way people are talking about this guy on tv is sickening.  It’s sad for his kids and family but the world is going to just fine without him.  He used to put a ball in a basket.  Sorry but the coverage is so over the top and lacks perspective.

This is coming from a Navy Vet - YES - The world WILL go on without Kobe Bryant. This is true.

Most of us use Sports as a break from the politics...division...of the day. Many of my shipmates from back in the day CERTAINLY used Sports as a distraction...something to talk about while we were eating together....during quiet times on watch. Most of us had our teams we followed...our villains...our heroes.

I can understand why some folks were upset with all of the Sports figures from the NFL, NBA and other venues speaking out...kneeling, etc, etc - at sporting events over the last few years.

There IS less of that, now...thankfully. For the most part we can watch sports without much RECENT incidents occurring. This is good.

When you get a player / person like Kobe Bean Bryant you won't often see another like him...his will to compete...his talent...his skill.

As BOS fans we LOVED to beat him...we puffed out our chests when we did. STILL puff out our chests even NOW (like last week)....

There is NOTHING wrong with honoring folks like him. Just about ALL of us know his faults...things he did...some things he said. Nothing we (or he) can do to change that.

Of course I did not know him personally but from what I've read I believe his TOTAL life spoke well of him, though - especially recently.

« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2020, 06:27:34 PM »

Offline celticsbaby89

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
In all fairness soccer fans are much worse than you ... especially the ones in poorer countries
Celticsbaby89,
17 posts...

lol ,, i have never been banned from any site including CS , i like to read post more than posting them generally which may explain my lack of posts , and english is my 3rd language which may contribute to that also , i just thought you tying fans bad behaviour or lack of compassion or morality to their country economic status is wrong

« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2020, 06:49:32 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Celticsbaby89,
17 posts...

lol ,, i have never been banned from any site including CS , i like to read post more than posting them generally which may explain my lack of posts , and english is my 3rd language which may contribute to that also , i just thought you tying fans bad behaviour or lack of compassion or morality to their country economic status is wrong
I have experienced it. Can provide examples but let’s not get into that.

« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2020, 06:51:11 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Celticsbaby89,
17 posts...

I have experienced it. Can provide examples but let’s not get into that.

Congrats to both of you.

Maybe you could discuss all this on another thread and not this particular one?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2020, 06:55:42 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
Interesting tweet from Perk

Just wanted to tell you I Love you my brother and whatever I did to hurt you I’m sorry bro and hope you forgive me!!! I love you bro real Talk! @KDTrey5

I guess the accident made him feel bad about his words on KD.
I respect that
This is so awesome ! TP Perk!

« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2020, 07:11:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Looks like nine people died, eight passengers and the pilot.  Terrible.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2020, 07:13:12 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Looks like nine people died, eight passengers and the pilot.  Terrible.

Devastating. Apparently 1 of the passengers was the father of one of the Red Sox scouts too....  :(
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2020, 08:04:44 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Copter was a 1991 model .   Sorta old to be used everyday ?  i got a 1995 van and it has 2000 less moving parts to maintain and its a nightmare to keep it rolling on the road these days .   Im skeptical of doing much flying in helicopter period, most  especially an old one , no matter the maintenance records . I ll stay on the ground out of helicopters thankyou very much