Author Topic: Kansas v Kansas State brawl  (Read 17972 times)

Re: Kansas v Kansas State brawl
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 03:58:06 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I mean, he took it too far, but the kid from Kansas State started it. Kansas was just going to dribble out the clock and the kid stole it to get a cheap stat-stuffing two points.

The kid from Kansas absolutely did the right thing by blocking the kid. After an amazing play and the punctuation mark block, he was feeling himself a bit a decided to rub it in. It's not good sportsmanship, but it's also not uncommon for 19-year-old on the basketball court. He took it too far, undoubtedly, but the idea that he should banned from playing professionally is just straight-up idiotic. I actually disagree with him being suspended indefinitely too.

The aftermath was messed up, but again, not unusually for young guys in an emotionally charged moment. They deserve consequences, especially the big guy who was kicking the Kansas state player on the ground.

Unfortunately, as per usual lately, the consequences are more about saving face than about fair punishments and teaching the young men how to be men. Because of the outrage on ESPN and media, they feel the need to go big with the suspensions.

Honestly, this in a small way mirrors a problem I have at the end of a lot of Celtic blowouts. The Celtics often run out the clock in the last minute without trying to score more points, but the other team decides to try to score anyway when they get the ball back. I'd love a Celtic to stuff a player and then stare over them when the other team is unsportsmanlike in that way. Point differentials only matter in two ways: betting and they've become a predictive indicator of contender status. I'm not a better, but when other teams score 2-5 points in the last minute and the Celtics don't try to score, it affects the narrative about the Cs' status among the top teams.

What you said in the bold.  If thats all he did, then he wouldnt have been suspended at all.

Hes being suspended indefinitely because of this .....

If all he did was throw a punch, he would have been suspended but not indefinitely.  When you go and grab a weapon though, its a whole different ball game.

If you dont agree I dont know what to tell you, but youre wrong.  Do you think the Myles Garrett suspension for hitting Mason Rudoplh with his helmet was too much?
Greg

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I mean, he took it too far, but the kid from Kansas State started it. Kansas was just going to dribble out the clock and the kid stole it to get a cheap stat-stuffing two points.

The kid from Kansas absolutely did the right thing by blocking the kid. After an amazing play and the punctuation mark block, he was feeling himself a bit a decided to rub it in. It's not good sportsmanship, but it's also not uncommon for 19-year-old on the basketball court. He took it too far, undoubtedly, but the idea that he should banned from playing professionally is just straight-up idiotic. I actually disagree with him being suspended indefinitely too.

The aftermath was messed up, but again, not unusually for young guys in an emotionally charged moment. They deserve consequences, especially the big guy who was kicking the Kansas state player on the ground.

Unfortunately, as per usual lately, the consequences are more about saving face than about fair punishments and teaching the young men how to be men. Because of the outrage on ESPN and media, they feel the need to go big with the suspensions.

Honestly, this in a small way mirrors a problem I have at the end of a lot of Celtic blowouts. The Celtics often run out the clock in the last minute without trying to score more points, but the other team decides to try to score anyway when they get the ball back. I'd love a Celtic to stuff a player and then stare over them when the other team is unsportsmanlike in that way. Point differentials only matter in two ways: betting and they've become a predictive indicator of contender status. I'm not a better, but when other teams score 2-5 points in the last minute and the Celtics don't try to score, it affects the narrative about the Cs' status among the top teams.

What you said in the bold.  If thats all he did, then he wouldnt have been suspended at all.

If all he did was throw a punch, he would have been suspended but not indefinitely.  When you go and grab a weapon though, its a whole different ball game.

If you dont agree I dont know what to tell you, but youre wrong.  Do you think the Myles Garrett suspension for hitting Mason Rudoplh with his helmet was too much?

I didn't see that part.

But yes, I did think that suspension was still too much.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 04:38:50 PM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I didn't see that part.

well everyones entitled to their opinion.  i just hope your opinion doesnt change when someone suffers a life/career threatening injury because they got a helmet swung at their head or they catch the leg of a chair in their eye.

Because these harsh suspensions are so that doesnt happen
Greg

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Brawls are brawls, but the moment the guy picked up a stool, that's when I knew he made a huge mistake... That is serious.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 06:39:33 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I have no problem with DaJuan Gordon stealing the ball with 3 sec to go. They've been beaten by 20, if he wants to show he's a fighter then go for it. It's one thing for a winning team to keep from padding the score in a decided game, it's another for a losing team to try to show they have some heart at least instead of losing interest because you've been thrashed.

Da Silva was also right to block the shot. The issue was when he decided to stand over the dude like he was some UFC fighter. You've won by 20, you blocked the dude after he stole the ball from you, no need to stand over him and humiliate him further.

Obviously it escalated after that, with some pushing and shoving into the disabled seats, but up till that point it was still a typical brawl until De Silva decided to pick up a chair. Someone could've been really hurt, not just players, but fans who were all caught up in it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 06:44:54 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 07:21:04 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The Big 12 is only suspending De Sousa 12 games.  Three others are suspended.  One Kansas State player for 8 games.  So apparently trying to use a chair as a weapon just gets you an extra 4 games in the Big 12. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28540541/kansas-silvio-de-sousa-gets-12-game-ban-big-12-suspends-four-brawl-vs-kansas-state

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 10:33:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Big 12 is only suspending De Sousa 12 games.  Three others are suspended.  One Kansas State player for 8 games.  So apparently trying to use a chair as a weapon just gets you an extra 4 games in the Big 12. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28540541/kansas-silvio-de-sousa-gets-12-game-ban-big-12-suspends-four-brawl-vs-kansas-state
He picked it up, but he put it back down before he swung it or did anything with it.  Let's not pretend he was swinging the stool, he wasn't.  He never should have picked it up, but he didn't do anything with it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 10:56:04 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I didn't see that part.

well everyones entitled to their opinion.  i just hope your opinion doesnt change when someone suffers a life/career threatening injury because they got a helmet swung at their head or they catch the leg of a chair in their eye.

Because these harsh suspensions are so that doesnt happen

I get you. It's a dangerous situation, but that situation is just as dangerous as Shaq taking a full, blind-side swing at Brad Miller a few decades ago.

Or when Suh tried to curb stomp that offensive lineman (or was it a qb?).

Or when a player takes out another guy from behind on a fast break layup.

Or when a safety aims the crown of his helmet at a defenseless receiver.

All those situations got suspensions too, but none of them this bad.

I'm just saying that I think the actual danger does not go up that much, but our perception of the danger does. Because of its shock value and mass perception, the punishment goes up even though it wasn't actually more dangerous. There should be a more objective standard.

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 11:53:19 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I hope De Sousa gets banned from playing basketball for the rest of his pro career, but that ain't gonna happen.

This is either a slip of the tongue or a lovely little dig at Kansas, but I'll TP it either way.

Agree with everyone that standing over the K State guy and taunting him were beyond the pale, but that still doesn't warrant a fight. A lot of people need to be held responsible for their part. Some would argue that going after the ball down 22 is a clown move but meh, less so in college than the pros and doesn't warrant anything that followed.

They are pros. Sparz gets a TP.