Poll

?

Yes
10 (37%)
No
17 (63%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Is Kemba Walker one of the most underrated players in the league? (Poll)  (Read 1899 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
This guy has completely surprised me. I never kept an eye on him as no one ever talked about him, which is what makes him highly underrated in my eyes.

He keeps up with the best guards on both ends. Very consistent performance and demeanor. leader. Nice shot.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 04:47:13 PM by CelticsElite »

Re: Is Kemba Walker one of the most underrated players in the league? (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 04:45:21 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
If memory serves there was a lot of hype about his play at UCONN and more than a few questions about how he would translate at the NBA level, but he was more or less the consensus #2 point guard in a pretty thin draft class. He's playing better in Boston but overall I'd have to say to this point he's been pretty fairly rated: a good-to-great player on bad-to-mediocre Hornets/Bobcats teams.

Pretty fun to watch Boston have two of the best upcoming points of the decade at the point over the last couple of years though, even if Kyrie turned out to be depressing.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 04:46:24 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Wanamaker is........

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 04:48:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If memory serves there was a lot of hype about his play at UCONN and more than a few questions about how he would translate at the NBA level, but he was more or less the consensus #2 point guard in a pretty thin draft class. He's playing better in Boston but overall I'd have to say to this point he's been pretty fairly rated: a good-to-great player on bad-to-mediocre Hornets/Bobcats teams.

Pretty fun to watch Boston have two of the best upcoming points of the decade at the point over the last couple of years though, even if Kyrie turned out to be depressing.
tp
The way he played in uconn youd expect him to get drafted higher

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 06:38:09 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I think he is properly rated. The one part of his game that may be underrated is his defense. People don't think of him as a good defender, but I really disagree. He does three things really well: 1) active hands/steal, 2) taking charges in timely ways, and 3) forcing the ball-handler to go away from where he is comfortable in the pick-and-roll game, and then getting over the pick quickly so the big man defender can get back in position.

He deserved being a starter this year in the all-star game.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 06:38:52 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
One of those well-noted underrated All-Star starters haha.

I'd say he was more unknown than underrated in Charlotte - people that knew his game always seemed impressed, it's just hard to get much press on bad-to-mediocre teams in a small market like that. But not this year.

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 07:18:04 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
How can Kemba be underrated when he's an All-Star starter?

Paul Pierce is one of the greatest Celtic players ever and Pierce never became an All-Star starter.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 08:39:13 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We're talking a team sport here. I voted no. Kemba is a scoring talent for sure, but he really doesn't make anyone better around him.

This team plays about the same with or without Kemba. His shots get eaten up by Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and even Smart.

When the Celtics were playing well against the Lakers this last game, for a second I thought, with the obvious maturity of Tatum and Brown this season, do we even need a score first point guard? What if we spent the money on a big man that could stretch the floor and went with Smart as the starting PG with a solid backup behind him. Not named Wannamaker.

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 11:07:34 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
We're talking a team sport here. I voted no. Kemba is a scoring talent for sure, but he really doesn't make anyone better around him.

This team plays about the same with or without Kemba. His shots get eaten up by Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and even Smart.

When the Celtics were playing well against the Lakers this last game, for a second I thought, with the obvious maturity of Tatum and Brown this season, do we even need a score first point guard? What if we spent the money on a big man that could stretch the floor and went with Smart as the starting PG with a solid backup behind him. Not named Wannamaker.

Smart has really stepped it up as a PG.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 11:46:49 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Smart has really stepped it up as a PG.

Kemba is being underrated here. Having Kemba instead of Smart, just look at the efficiency numbers for Tatum, Hayward and Brown. There's a huge difference.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 11:48:05 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
How can Kemba be underrated when he's an All-Star starter?

Paul Pierce is one of the greatest Celtic players ever and Pierce never became an All-Star starter.

He is being underrated by Celtics fans for sure. I think he is rated properly by the rest of the league.