Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 241380 times)

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 606
Some of those turnovers and defensive lapses were so bad that if these guys were a college team you'd swear they were throwing the game.

Outside of his one-note offensive system, I'm not sure how much I can blame Joe for this one individual game.  I guess you can argue that he didn't have the team prepared, but that's largely on the players.  They were going through the motions.  Joe sat some of the more lackadaisical players, but nobody outside of Hauser really showed up.

That said, the coach needs to teach accountability.  No more of his "I like it when we play bad" schtick.

I actually thought they were doing exactly what you wanted in the 4th when they were trying to make a run, as they went to Porzingis several times inside.  He went 4/4 from the paint in the 4th after only taking 3 shots in paint through the first 3 quarters.

Joe also changed things up by sitting Brown with 4 minutes to go (and hope still alive), and only played him 10 minutes in the 2nd half.

But they also took 48 threes (the most in the last ~15 or so games), so I guess he didn't change that much.

Sitting these guys for a few as punishment isn't working. They should be sat the second they're benched for the whole game. Earn your minutes.
Still don't believe in Joe.

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Some of those turnovers and defensive lapses were so bad that if these guys were a college team you'd swear they were throwing the game.

Outside of his one-note offensive system, I'm not sure how much I can blame Joe for this one individual game.  I guess you can argue that he didn't have the team prepared, but that's largely on the players.  They were going through the motions.  Joe sat some of the more lackadaisical players, but nobody outside of Hauser really showed up.

That said, the coach needs to teach accountability.  No more of his "I like it when we play bad" schtick.

I actually thought they were doing exactly what you wanted in the 4th when they were trying to make a run, as they went to Porzingis several times inside.  He went 4/4 from the paint in the 4th after only taking 3 shots in paint through the first 3 quarters.

Joe also changed things up by sitting Brown with 4 minutes to go (and hope still alive), and only played him 10 minutes in the 2nd half.

But they also took 48 threes (the most in the last ~15 or so games), so I guess he didn't change that much.

Sitting these guys for a few as punishment isn't working. They should be sat the second they're benched for the whole game. Earn your minutes.
I don't know if we have a better chance of winning basketball games if we sit all of our best players whenever they start to have an off night.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1402

I don't know if we have a better chance of winning basketball games if we sit all of our best players whenever they start to have an off night.

I guess the idea is that if you punish them by taking away what they want, they will play better, which is what we want  :angel:

I guess in this day and age caning them might be out of the question  :police:

I guess (yes I like guessing) that people don't like the idea of them playing bad and getting off scot free. There has to be some kind of ramification for their ineptitude, some type of accountability for playing bad that we can see. Of course, if we had people that were better that we would put in to replace them it might give the punishment more teeth  ???
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887

I guess the idea is that if you punish them by taking away what they want, they will play better, which is what we want  :angel:

I guess (yes I like guessing) that people don't like the idea of them playing bad and getting off scot free. There has to be some kind of ramification for their ineptitude, some type of accountability for playing bad that we can see. Of course, if we had people that were better that we would put in to replace them it might give the punishment more teeth  ???

Belichick will bench a young player for fumbling and that can work in football to some extent.  But even in football, no one benches their best receiver over a fumble or a bad game or whatever.  You can't bench your best players in basketball just because of a bad game.  Once the game is out of reach, sure.  But it is just not realistic that an NBA coach is going to "punish" top players in this way.  That doesn't mean that coaches don't need to get certain points across to their best players in other ways.

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

Belichick will bench a young player for fumbling and that can work in football to some extent.  But even in football, no one benches their best receiver over a fumble or a bad game or whatever.  You can't bench your best players in basketball just because of a bad game.  Once the game is out of reach, sure.  But it is just not realistic that an NBA coach is going to "punish" top players in this way.  That doesn't mean that coaches don't need to get certain points across to their best players in other ways.

Ex cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson once said, if a 3rd string offensive lineman falls asleep during film session, you wake him up, tell him there’s no room on this team for laziness, and to clean out his locker and leave.   But if Emmitt Smith falls asleep during film session, you walk over, wake him up and say, ‘Hey Emmitt, you really might want to see this.’ 

It’s just the way the world works, and it’s not anything new
Greg

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Belichick will would bench a young player for fumbling and that can work in football to some extent.  But even in football, no one benches their best receiver over a fumble or a bad game or whatever.  You can't bench your best players in basketball just because of a bad game.  Once the game is out of reach, sure.  But it is just not realistic that an NBA coach is going to "punish" top players in this way.  That doesn't mean that coaches don't need to get certain points across to their best players in other ways.

Didn’t he bench Bourne for a good portion of the year when Patricia was here? Doesn’t seem like that way of coaching works anymore in pro sports. Have to be very careful with the players. Especially in the NBA.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2024, 02:56:59 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett

Belichick will would bench a young player for fumbling and that can work in football to some extent.  But even in football, no one benches their best receiver over a fumble or a bad game or whatever.  You can't bench your best players in basketball just because of a bad game.  Once the game is out of reach, sure.  But it is just not realistic that an NBA coach is going to "punish" top players in this way.  That doesn't mean that coaches don't need to get certain points across to their best players in other ways.

Didn’t he bench Bourne for a good portion of the year when Patricia was here? Doesn’t seem like that way of coaching works anymore in pro sports. Have to be very careful with the players. Especially in the NBA.

I think angry fans like the idea of benching or sitting stars as a way to punish them for how they made us feel. Or to make the players feel like they shouldn't take their spot for granted. Kind of like wanting to stick your dog's nose in his doodoo when he poops on the carpet to punish him. Might not be the best way to teach your dog not to do it again though.

It probably works more in college because you're dealing with kids...but dealing with superstars, bit more diplomacy required  :angel:

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley

I think angry fans like the idea of benching or sitting stars as a way to punish them for how they made us feel. Or to make the players feel like they shouldn't take their spot for granted. Kind of like wanting to stick your dog's nose in his doodoo when he poops on the carpet to punish him. Might not be the best way to teach your dog not to do it again though.

It probably works more in college because you're dealing with kids...but dealing with superstars, bit more diplomacy required  :angel:

I don’t even think it works in college anymore. Your best players will just leave through the transfer portal. Times have changed.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald

No, I think people like me just desperately want to see some of these bad habits get broken. JB admitted his effort was good.

These are the same guys who said they didn't have the energy after one of the games when they played in the finals.

It's not about revenge, it's about fixing these guys, because what's going on right now isn't working. I'm not advocating they get benched just because they're having a bad game, I'm talking about their effort level. These guys have won ZERO and will continue to win zero as long as they feel they can take nights off when it matters.

I'm just saying this as last of the last resorts. It's one thing to have a game here and there, I get it, but it's another when it's just part of their DNA.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett

No, I think people like me just desperately want to see some of these bad habits get broken. JB admitted his effort was good.

These are the same guys who said they didn't have the energy after one of the games when they played in the finals.

It's not about revenge, it's about fixing these guys, because what's going on right now isn't working. I'm not advocating they get benched just because they're having a bad game, I'm talking about their effort level. These guys have won ZERO and will continue to win zero as long as they feel they can take nights off when it matters.

I'm just saying this as last of the last resorts. It's one thing to have a game here and there, I get it, but it's another when it's just part of their DNA.

I agree with this. In fact I would go a step further and say that if players consistently don't show the level of effort needed to win a championship, let alone play in the NBA, then Brad should be looking to ship them out as soon as he can get a good return for them. And I think that has happened in the past, with people like Enes and Tristan and Evan Fournier.

I don't think that we have had many issues with consistent lack of effort regarding KP, Jaylen and Holiday though, who were the players benched against the Fakers. If anything Jaylen's issues seem to be a lack of focus, more so than effort. KP and Holiday don't seem to have effort issues from what I can see, other than that night where they all collectively laid a goose egg. Given it happened to all of them I would be more inclined to but the blame on Joe because he's supposed to prepare the team and clearly they weren't prepared, and to the Jays who are supposed to lead the team. A temporary benching to change things up seems to be an appropriate consequence for their actions.

If it became consistent then I'd not want to just bench them for a game, because the people replacing them won't be anywhere near as good - I'd be looking to trade them. Thankfully I don't think we're at that point, given we've only lost 12 games. It's probably why the losses are upsetting, because a) they're been a lot less common this year and b) they remind us of previous years where we lost a lot more.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
During one of the latest lectures of the EuroLeague Head Coaches Board Academy, Boston Celtics‘ head coach Joe Mazzulla made a surprise appearance, talking about European basketball. “EuroLeague is been an inspiration to me as a coach ever since I’ve gotten into coaching. I’ve taken European basketball conceptually, whether it’s off-ball cutting, the type of sets that you run versus certain coverages, how you call your plays, the defensive systems”, he first said. He kept on praising the game. “Everything that we do here in the NBA starts in Europe because for America there’s less media coverage. If you see a European coach do it, you get a little jealous. Me and Kristaps [Porzingis] have a lot of conversations about European basketball. This is America, we’re a little bit behind”, he commented about talking about it with the Latvian superstar. – via EuroHoops.net

I call BS, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 323

Does this make sense to anyone else? This team has lazy DNA?

Also, how does one person fix another person? I'm confused.

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
Only 37 shot attempts from deep… Something’s Fishy..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 08:16:36 AM by Goldstar88 »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Only 37 shot attempts from deep… Something’s Fish..
Mazzula being pushed out for Derrick Fisher? You heard it here first.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
Only 37 shot attempts from deep… Something’s Fishy..

These are the types of games that win you a championship.